Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you like how Lost Season Finale played out?
Yes 27 42.86%
No 23 36.51%
It was just OK 13 20.63%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 12:36 PM

1,252 posts, read 3,484,345 times

Advertisements

In real life:
Disputed isle in Bay of Bengal disappears into sea - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100324/ap_on_sc/as_india_disappearing_island - broken link)

Hmmm...did someone turn a frozen donkey wheel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 01:29 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,485,004 times
With the bottle analogy, Jacob said that the island was the cork keeping the evil in the bottle, but when MiB got his hands on the bottle, he shattered the glass, perhaps illustrating his plan to escape is not to uncork the bottle, but to blow the whole thing up.

Last nights epi was awesome, obviously, but I don't think it gave us definitive answers like everyone else does. Yes in the begining Richard said they are all dead and in hell, but he obviously said that because he lost faith in Jacobs cause and was remembering what MiB had said to him 150 years earlier.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:16 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,151,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
-the scene where MIB tells Richard how to kill Jacob is almost word-for-word exactly what Dogen said to Sayid when he sent him off to kill MIB/Flocke. makes me wonder how Dogen, an apparent "employee" of Jacob knew to saw those exact words. you have MIB telling Richard that Jacob is the devil, and you apparently have Jacob telling his followers that MIB is the devil. interesting, especially since it appears in both scenarios that neither can be killed (well, we don't know if Richard could have killed Jacob since Jacob kicked Richard's butt before he could try). I wonder if MIB could have been killed before he got into Locke's body and, if so, did Jacob try at all.
I suspect that this "dance" between Jacob and the MIB has been going on for a while. "You kill him", "no, don't kill me, its him you want", etc. I think I was right in that Jacob is just one in a line of many who have been protectors of the island, keeping the MIB from leaving. When the MIB told Jacob he would kill him eventually, Jacob replied nonchalantly with "and then someone else will take my place."

Old 03-24-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetheart1311 View Post
OK, I am just going to say one thing: I bet men reading that comment about Richard thought "WTH? Now that he's all dirty, sweaty and hairy - NOW he's even HOTTER???" LOL.
Well, I like him better with short hair, but what "upped the ante" for me was his devotion to his wife, his Spanish accent and his desperation to find redemption. It's one thing to be good looking. It's another to have a story that makes me root for you. Richard has a good story and I loved the scene with Hurley talking to him and his wife.

It also opens up another question for me with that scene of Jack and Richard and the dynamite. The dynamite went out right at the last minute and when I watched it, I assumed it was because Jack is a "candidate." But if Jacob granted Richard's wish that he won't die, perhaps the dynamite would have gone off if it were just Jack and the reason it went out was because of Richard.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
Very good question! And why did it seem like Ben controlled smokie in the past? He set smokie loose on the freighter team. So who does smokie work for...Jacob or MIB or the island?
Well, it's just a theory but I believe that the MIB doesn't work for anyone. He doesn't need to work for Ben...Ben's done some pretty evil things on his own, so if anything, I'd say it's more likely that Ben works for the MIB. If Jacob's discussion with Richard is true...people come to the island and Jacob and the MIB watch them to see what part of their nature they allow to take over...good or evil. Ben's obviously decided to let the evil nature win out on the island so why should the MIB kill him?

Also, it is starting to come together for me about the timelines. Each character is different (with the exception of Sayid and Hurley) in their nature depending on whether they're in LAX timeline or the island. Perhaps there is something going on that once you decide to live a "bad" life in both, your days are done. Sayid, for example, was doing some pretty bad stuff off the island but became a "good guy" on the island. When Doggin said "there is a darkness growing inside of him" he meant that the two forces at work on the island were starting to turn Sayid into the same "bad" guy that he is off the island? I'm not sure if this is making sense to anyone but me. But maybe the only reason Ben is alive right now is because he was a better person OFF the island and Jacob is hoping he will redeem himself? Then Miles reports that Jacob "hoped he was wrong about you" to Ben.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:07 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,377,606 times
Interesting that they showed Richard's flashback only, but not the alternative timeline. I guess that would be too much.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:25 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
Hooray for me!

Was it just me or does the MIB look like Richard Hatch (the original winner of Survivor)?

So...loved loved loved Richard's storyline. My gawd...him chained in that boat for days/weeks and being inches away from rainwater. Excellent.

Interesting that the MIB told Richard the exact same thing Doggin said to Sayid..."stab him right through the heart...don't let him speak a word to you or it's already too late".

I suspected Hurley was speaking to Isabella when Jack caught him speaking Spanish to a ghost. I was so glad Hurley came through the forest instead of Flocke.

I think the reason Flocke didn't come when Richard called him is that the MIB understands the difference between someone who is just angry and SAYS they're willing to side with "the dark side" versus someone who really CAN be manipulated. Richard made his choice a long time ago and the MIB knows that after decades (possibly centuries) of doing the right thing, one incident isn't necessarily going to change that.

I need to watch the epi again but if anyone has the dialogue between Jacob and Richard when they were talking about how the MIB believes that people's "evil" natures will always come to the surface and Jacob believes that the good can win out, please post it!

Seems we have our answer about Sayid. He is the epitome of the two theories, again, it's why he's a favorite of mine. I think it also shows the parallels of what's going on in LAX timeline versus what's happening on the island. The candidates are getting a chance to live by the MIB and Jacob's theories in 2 different timelines. Kate, Sawyer, Jack, Sun and Jin all have found a better way of living their lives on the island. Only Hurley seems to have a good situation in both places and Sayid's life stinks in both.

Also shows that Jacob isn't God, but he does have powers...able to make Richard live forever, but can't bring his wife back.

And...sorry to be a girl here...but Richard's hotness quotient went up a few notches. I've always thought he was pretty good looking, but he is now right up there with Sawyer for me.

So...a few BIG things still left unanswered. What's the difference between a candidate and someone like Richard, Ilana and Doggin? How did Jacob know that a kid would make a good candidate since they don't come to the island until they're adults? Were Ilana and Doggin the same as Richard...brought to the island with others who were killed then those 3 were found by Jacob and recruited to help him?

Perhaps I'm not remembering correctly, but weren't there white rocks on the dial in the lighthouse? Similar to what Jacob gave to Richard to pass on to the MIB? Some sort of indicator that they have chosen the right path? If they weren't on the dial, where were they? I remember something with white rocks laying on top.
No, it wasn't just you, 3Ds. I was going crazy all through that eppie thinking the same thing! We know it's NOT Richard Hatch so who is that actor? I feel like I should know him from something.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:44 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,485,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
No, it wasn't just you, 3Ds. I was going crazy all through that eppie thinking the same thing! We know it's NOT Richard Hatch so who is that actor? I feel like I should know him from something.
Titus Welliver

looks like he has just had random parts in a bunch of TV shows and small parts in movies

Old 03-24-2010, 03:44 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,642,357 times
MIB=Flocke=Smokey and other euphemisms...I wish they'd give us his real name! At least we know now that MIB has been Smokey a long time...Richard came late 1800's?...forget exactly when. And you have to admit, MIB admitted being Smokey when it would have been to his advantage to deny it. And then right away lied, telling Richard that Jacob had his wife! Those scenes between Richard and MIB and Richard and Jacob...priceless! I don't think Richard's wife's ghost appeared in the scene on the boat. I think he was hallucinating because he was in bad physical condition...and his mind was creating that scene. But her ghost was really there with Hugo later...that was cool! Hope he gets his faith back and can become the man he was before.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:25 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Titus Welliver

looks like he has just had random parts in a bunch of TV shows and small parts in movies
Thanks, Orangeish. Nice looking dude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV