U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 12-09-2013, 10:26 PM
 
5,531 posts, read 8,795,568 times
Reputation: 5446

Advertisements

The premiere date of Season 4 has now been announced: March 31, 2014! Perhaps it's a little early to start a thread, but the promo drums for the Purple Wedding are already sounding...

Game of Thrones Season 4: Premiere Date and The Purple Wedding Filming Updates - Entertainment & Stars

Spoiler warning: If you don't want to know (and haven't read Vol.3), don't click on the link in the article called "What's in store for the happy couple"!!!

The producers are leaking a tidbit of info: A big battle is coming up
Spoiler
in episode 9!


And apparently the season will take us well beyond the end of Vol.3 into Vol 4 and even 5, with some story lines. I'm intrigued.

So in the meantime, while we wait, I guess we can talk about what we'd like to see, like in the previous Season 3 thread.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-09-2013, 10:41 PM
 
Location: Riverside, CA
2,404 posts, read 3,586,021 times
Reputation: 2274
Winter is coming!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2013, 04:14 AM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
32,176 posts, read 39,280,307 times
Reputation: 40671
That makes sense, the action in volumes 4 and 5 happen at the same time.

Spoiler
If it's the battle I think it is, people will *****. That's the only really big battle in either book.


I wonder who will play the woman helping Dondarrion lead his band of rebels.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2013, 07:40 AM
 
Location: Maine
15,111 posts, read 19,754,614 times
Reputation: 17255
So by season 5 it looks like the TV series will be caught up with Martin. That's roughly 12-18 months from now, depending on when Season 5 premieres. And there's no way, given his current output, that Martin will have the next book out by then, which means the TV show will officially pass him by.

So it looks like we'll see the end of the series on TV before we read it. Probably long before.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2013, 08:04 AM
 
Location: One of the "New" States
1,745 posts, read 1,576,030 times
Reputation: 1762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
So by season 5 it looks like the TV series will be caught up with Martin. That's roughly 12-18 months from now, depending on when Season 5 premieres. And there's no way, given his current output, that Martin will have the next book out by then, which means the TV show will officially pass him by.

So it looks like we'll see the end of the series on TV before we read it. Probably long before.
Well my guess is that the show will have to go on hiatus until more books are written. Unless they are going to stray from the written material between books and go a seperate direction.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2013, 10:01 AM
 
Location: Maine
15,111 posts, read 19,754,614 times
Reputation: 17255
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
Well my guess is that the show will have to go on hiatus until more books are written. Unless they are going to stray from the written material between books and go a seperate direction.
Both Martin and the show runners have said they cannot and will not wait for Martin to finish. They can't. If they wait for Martin to finish writing, the actors playing the Stark children will have grandchildren of their own.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2013, 10:21 AM
 
Location: One of the "New" States
1,745 posts, read 1,576,030 times
Reputation: 1762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Both Martin and the show runners have said they cannot and will not wait for Martin to finish. They can't. If they wait for Martin to finish writing, the actors playing the Stark children will have grandchildren of their own.
All of the interviews I have read state that Martin, nor the producers, want to have the TV show surpass the books. They don't want to put the show on hiatus, but they also don't want to show to run ahead.

My guess is they'll wind up putting it on hiatus and running some of the sidestories that have been overlooked.

I really don't see Martin allowing the show to go ahead without his books coming out first.

What happens when Game of Thrones catches up to the books? - WinterIsComing.net
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2013, 10:40 AM
 
Location: Maine
15,111 posts, read 19,754,614 times
Reputation: 17255
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
All of the interviews I have read state that Martin, nor the producers, want to have the TV show surpass the books.
They don't want to, no. Of course not. But reality is settling in. See: 'Game of Thrones' team on series future | Inside TV | EW.com

And here they say it right out: "There's no question that this will be better for us if the books come out before the various seasons come out," Benioff added. "That said, we're not going to take a two-year hiatus (to wait for a book). The little kids are growing older, the show's got momentum now, and the show must go on. We're just hopeful that it will all time out." ( The Wertzone: GoT producers will not wait for GRRM to finish the books )

Martin is running on good intentions at this point, I think. There's just no way he can keep up. Consider his track record:

A Game of Thrones came out in 1996.
A Clash of Kings came out in 1999.
A Storm of Swords came out in 2000.
A Feast for Crows came out in 2005.
A Dance with Dragons came out in 2011.

The next book, The Winds of Winter, is nowhere near done, according to Martin. The absolute soonest I'd look for it would be 2015. Realistically it'll likely be 2016. And he's still got another book after that. Which means what? 2020? The actor playing 10 year old Bran Stark will be 21 by then.

I suspect the TV show producers are about ready to tie George to his chair and nail the doors to his house shut until the next book is done.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2013, 12:43 PM
 
3,557 posts, read 3,305,642 times
Reputation: 1632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
Winter is coming!
Winter has been coming for three years!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2013, 12:57 PM
 
9,972 posts, read 14,040,736 times
Reputation: 9193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
They don't want to, no. Of course not. But reality is settling in. See: 'Game of Thrones' team on series future | Inside TV | EW.com

And here they say it right out: "There's no question that this will be better for us if the books come out before the various seasons come out," Benioff added. "That said, we're not going to take a two-year hiatus (to wait for a book). The little kids are growing older, the show's got momentum now, and the show must go on. We're just hopeful that it will all time out." ( The Wertzone: GoT producers will not wait for GRRM to finish the books )

Martin is running on good intentions at this point, I think. There's just no way he can keep up. Consider his track record:

A Game of Thrones came out in 1996.
A Clash of Kings came out in 1999.
A Storm of Swords came out in 2000.
A Feast for Crows came out in 2005.
A Dance with Dragons came out in 2011.

The next book, The Winds of Winter, is nowhere near done, according to Martin. The absolute soonest I'd look for it would be 2015. Realistically it'll likely be 2016. And he's still got another book after that. Which means what? 2020? The actor playing 10 year old Bran Stark will be 21 by then.

I suspect the TV show producers are about ready to tie George to his chair and nail the doors to his house shut until the next book is done.
He has time to write about his fantasy football picks and NFL predictions however...
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top