Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2014, 05:07 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,644,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post

No. Everyone saw it happen. Daryl shot Dawn because Dawn shot Beth.
Oh, of course. Yes, you're right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 05:59 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,221,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Then we would miss out on all the compelling commercials?
They would probably have a smaller audience also. They are currently kicking Butt in the ratings for Sunday night beating even the NFL.

Most of the Geek writers have probably never shot a gun, know Fire trucks don't spray without the motor running or know where Daryl gets all his arrows.

But it's fun to watch.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:45 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,973,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
I am reading a lot about 'filler' episodes. It seems that a great many people do not understand the nature of The Walking Dead.

This is not a zombie series; it's a human drama about how people deal, emotionally and ethically, with a world in which social structure and law enforcement in particular has been entirely swept away and in which everyone beloved is a stopped heartbeat away from turning into a lethal predator. It's not 'filler' just because you wish the previous few minutes of a particular episode had not been spent with Michonne having a dialogue with Carl that examines the underlying human conflicts the series was created in order to study, but instead with her lopping off a dozen dead-heads with her katana.

This is a character-driven drama. The fact that there are episodes which are light on the creative slaughtering of the undead and intense firefights merely speaks to that. Those who need more explosions and car chases to keep themselves amused are simply watching the wrong series.

This series is not primarily concerned with the nature of the plague, nor with the results of the plague, nor with the cure of the plague. Those are just vehicles to create a world in which people have to deal with the sudden disappearance of all support structure and of the constraining influences, both direct and indirect, of society and to examine how they behave in such a world. This series is about how people abruptly thrown into horrific situations toe the line between survival and retaining their humanity. It is about moral compromises, the willingness and unwillingness to make them, and the effects of each choice.

It is understandable that this is not everyone's cup of tea. But that's on them and no one else.
Finally somebody gets it! There's a certain segment of TWD fanbases that has the mindset and attention span of a 10 year old. "Grrrrr! Every single character has to be a cold blooded, zombie slaughtering, rough-looking badass! If they're not? Boooooooring! Kill me off!"

Character development is more than just becoming darker and more ruthless. The condition of the post apocalyptic world effects everyone differently. That's what makes the show interesting.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:06 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,450,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Finally somebody gets it! There's a certain segment of TWD fanbases that has the mindset and attention span of a 10 year old. "Grrrrr! Every single character has to be a cold blooded, zombie slaughtering, rough-looking badass! If they're not? Boooooooring! Kill me off!"

Character development is more than just becoming darker and more ruthless. The condition of the post apocalyptic world effects everyone differently. That's what makes the show interesting.
Well, no. As far as I am concerned. The ones that watch this show from day 1 is because of the (sexy) ZOMBIES! Double exclamation point. Nothing more, nothing less.

I mean did you know ANYone of these actors when it started? I surely didn't. It was only when I watched a rerun of this movie :

The Mist (2007) - IMDb

on TV that I had a WTF moment when I saw the actors playing Carol, Andrea and Dale were all in this movie! LOL. And when I saw Frank Darabont directed the movie then I was like oh wow, okay, this IS the walking dead cast! LOL.

but ya, I watched this show SOLELY because of the zombies, yeah the writers made me care about the major characters but first and foremost I was actually curious how a zombie TV series is gonna be because like we all know zombies mean brainzzz... shotgun in the head... end of the movie.

So I really was curious how they can make a zombie plot into a TV series. Also found out later on this is based on comics which again, haven't even heard of. It actually made me read the comics for a while but I stopped reading it.

What's good though is, the series is really not a play by play account of the comics. They definitely changed a LOT. Like I don't know but last time I read the comics Andrea is still alive and hooking up with Rick, in this series they made Andrea hook up with the governor.

Oh and what the governor did with Michonne is horrendous. I don't know if I was glad that they didn't put those brutal scenes on TV.

Old 12-05-2014, 12:24 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,903,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
I am reading a lot about 'filler' episodes. It seems that a great many people do not understand the nature of The Walking Dead.

This is not a zombie series; it's a human drama about how people deal, emotionally and ethically, with a world in which social structure and law enforcement in particular has been entirely swept away and in which everyone beloved is a stopped heartbeat away from turning into a lethal predator. It's not 'filler' just because you wish the previous few minutes of a particular episode had not been spent with Michonne having a dialogue with Carl that examines the underlying human conflicts the series was created in order to study, but instead with her lopping off a dozen dead-heads with her katana.

This is a character-driven drama. The fact that there are episodes which are light on the creative slaughtering of the undead and intense firefights merely speaks to that. Those who need more explosions and car chases to keep themselves amused are simply watching the wrong series.

This series is not primarily concerned with the nature of the plague, nor with the results of the plague, nor with the cure of the plague. Those are just vehicles to create a world in which people have to deal with the sudden disappearance of all support structure and of the constraining influences, both direct and indirect, of society and to examine how they behave in such a world. This series is about how people abruptly thrown into horrific situations toe the line between survival and retaining their humanity. It is about moral compromises, the willingness and unwillingness to make them, and the effects of each choice.

It is understandable that this is not everyone's cup of tea. But that's on them and no one else.
I don't need constant action to keep me entertained, but I do need good storylines, dialogue, and narrative. I need to both not know AND care what happens next. I need to be interested in how the episode ends.

Sorry, but Daryl and Carol walking around abandoned Atlanta trying to figure out who they are and burning walkers for an entire hour doesn't cut it.

It's cheap filler, period.

Old 12-05-2014, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I see a lot of people becoming annoyed/bored with the way the show only focuses on other 'bad' people. The show started out great because there was teamwork against hordes of zombies and it was always about the zombies until the Shane incident. I wouldn't mind the show going away from the whole, people are worse than zombies for a minute or two and focus on zombies. I'm not talking about sitting around farming either.
When you think about it, there has always been a living "villain" in the storyline in every season, except for the first season. The 1st season was the only season where the walkers were the exclusive antagonist.

Season 2, it was about that kid and the rest of his group, and Shane could arguably qualify as an antagonistic threat as well.

Season 3 and 4, the governor.

Season 4 and 5, the termites and the hospital people.

What villain is next?

Old 12-05-2014, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
...and killing a black guy with no repercussions.

Oh wait, that's for the Politics and Other Controversies forum.
The cop Rick killed wasn't black.... Either that or he was very light skinned. I'd call him Latino at best.

Old 12-05-2014, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
He told her he had fallen in love with her, right before he opened the door for the "dog" and the walkers streamed in.
No, he didn't. You can choose to fill in the blanks that way if you like, but it's not at all clear that that is what was going on. It's open to interpretation in other words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
What????? I never saw him tell Beth he was in love with her. Did that really happen?
No, it didn't.

Old 12-05-2014, 06:43 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,452,473 times
Most of the black actors in TWD got their start on the great series "the wire"

Old 12-05-2014, 07:19 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,390,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
That's no excuse. Supposed to let the preps go on their merry way, don'tchaknow?

You can choke him later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV