Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2020, 11:41 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,083,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I vaguely remember something in the book about Claire operating on a small bone in someone’s larynx. Not sure if it was Roger or someone else.
No.

The hyoid bone is in the neck, and is usually damaged during strangulation.

In the books, Claire performs a tracheotomy using a stem from a smokers pipe to provide air into Roger, bypassing the mouth and nose.

There's more in a later book, but not giving spoilers now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2020, 12:20 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,610,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Can't wait for him to give up the feather and haircut !!

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out if he was wearing a bald cap and wig (if so, good job makeup artists!) or if the actor had cut and grown out his own hair like that. What do you all think? I hate the fake looking ponytail wig worn by the actor who plays Jamie; it's so obviously a hairpiece. And Claire's hair is often very wiggy looking.

Don't know why I obsess about their hair, but I do.

Old 04-14-2020, 02:04 PM

2,401 posts, read 1,572,726 times
Quote:
I vaguely remember something in the book about Claire operating on a small bone in someone’s larynx. Not sure if it was Roger or someone else.
you are correct. I forgot that bit, it wasn't really given much exposure, but yes she did perform that, I think it was during one of those annoying silent move, subtitle scenes

Old 04-15-2020, 05:38 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
you are correct. I forgot that bit, it wasn't really given much exposure, but yes she did perform that, I think it was during one of those annoying silent move, subtitle scenes
I was actually thinking later, like a year or two later.

Old 04-15-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
I was actually thinking later, like a year or two later.
No. You are thinking of something - and someone - entirely different. But that would be spoilers to say now and who knows if they will even keep it in the TV series. They've changed so much from the books already.

Old 04-15-2020, 10:50 PM

6,354 posts, read 2,903,321 times
I started watching again since I have nothing to do during this lock-down. One thing has bothered me is how Jamie has so little curiosity about the future. I would be asking all kinds of questions about it. And I would definitely try to travel into the future myself. Did he ever express any interest into going into the future?

Old 04-15-2020, 11:44 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,607,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
i think he saved his own life, managing to get a few fingers between rope and neck, not sure Claire had much to do with it just the regular nursing care
In the book, Roger would have died if not for Claire's 20th century medical skills. He was dying when they cut him down, having a lot of trouble getting oxygen into his lungs. Roger had managed to hang on to life for a long time in that noose (an hour, I think), due to three things: His own initiative and determination in getting a hand between the noose and his neck, Roger's own height - he was so tall that his toes could touch the ground and relieve some of the pressure on his neck, Roger's hyoid bone has an unusual structure (slightly out of the normal place, I think); and the hangman used a new rope (which would stretch a bit). So Roger did last long enough for Claire to have a chance at saving him; she did the tracheotomy to keep him alive until his throat recovered enough for him to breathe on his own (it took at least a few days or weeks, I think).

Old 04-16-2020, 05:03 AM

989 posts, read 456,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
I started watching again since I have nothing to do during this lock-down. One thing has bothered me is how Jamie has so little curiosity about the future. I would be asking all kinds of questions about it. And I would definitely try to travel into the future myself. Did he ever express any interest into going into the future?
It's been a long while since I read the books, but I seem to recall them having various discussions about the future. Claire would fill him in on things here and there as what seemed appropriate for what's going on. But you have to remember that Jamie is a man of his time and he pretty much cannot comprehend most of what she tells him. Also, fuzzy memories but I think they've just taken for granted that Jamie can't travel. It could be that he "hears" nothing when he gets near the stones. I'm sure someone with a better memory of the books can cite some of the times they addressed this.

Old 04-16-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyVW55 View Post
It's been a long while since I read the books, but I seem to recall them having various discussions about the future. Claire would fill him in on things here and there as what seemed appropriate for what's going on. But you have to remember that Jamie is a man of his time and he pretty much cannot comprehend most of what she tells him. Also, fuzzy memories but I think they've just taken for granted that Jamie can't travel. It could be that he "hears" nothing when he gets near the stones. I'm sure someone with a better memory of the books can cite some of the times they addressed this.
The first time Jamie takes Claire to the stones, after the trial at Crainsmure (sp?) and she tells him the truth about her origins, he can't hear the stones and when he touches the stones nothing happens. He cannot travel.

Old 04-16-2020, 04:48 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
The first time Jamie takes Claire to the stones, after the trial at Crainsmure (sp?) and she tells him the truth about her origins, he can't hear the stones and when he touches the stones nothing happens. He cannot travel.
In one of the later books, I forget which one, Jamie tells Claire about a dream he had in which he saw her through a glow in a window (electricity), seated at a desk. Remember, in one of the first books, when a stranger was leaning against a lamppost and was confronted by Frank? Claire was sitting at a desk by a window. This makes me think that somehow, Jamie was present when Claire was 200 years ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV