Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2014, 03:01 PM

21,478 posts, read 10,579,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
Definitely. I even remember someone in here made a post after the first show, talking about how the Highlanders looked incredibly dirty, and I defended the show because, yea, the Highlanders would be really dirty while they were traveling and sleeping outside.

As for pit hair, while I do think it's ridiculous how female body hair is so stigmatized, it's also possible she did have armpit hair and we just didn't see it because her pits weren't front and center. My friend didn't bother shaving, and you couldn't tell at all unless she was actually reaching up high for something - otherwise, her hair naturally covered a small area and didn't get too long, and you couldn't tell. I didn't shave my pits for a few years, and had a boyfriend (who I was intimate with) who didn't know until I told him. Sometimes, pit hair is shy.

Sam Heughan, the guy who plays Jamie, said he didn't do anything "special" to prepare for his nude scene. He even said, knowing that men back then wouldn't be too clean, he didn't bother trying to look really nice, which is testament to the fact that Sam Heughan must be a demi-god of some kind.
Well, what could he have done? Short of working out for a few months beforehand anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 03:14 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,817,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Well, what could he have done? Short of working out for a few months beforehand anyway?
Oh, there are things like not drinking beer for a week (to reduce stomach bloat), doing push-ups right beforehand so your muscles are bulging, exfoliating in the shower the night before, doing a spray tan or something - all that crap so you look as good as possible on screen. Frankly, it would be understandable if he had done, since most people won't have their butt broadcast around the world.

Old 09-24-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
Oh, there are things like not drinking beer for a week (to reduce stomach bloat), doing push-ups right beforehand so your muscles are bulging, exfoliating in the shower the night before, doing a spray tan or something - all that crap so you look as good as possible on screen. Frankly, it would be understandable if he had done, since most people won't have their butt broadcast around the world.
Apparently I don't know much about the world of nude scene preparedness. I'm glad he didn't have bulging muscles as that's not very attractive to me.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:34 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times
Sam did say he gained some weight to play Jamie, he's got a runners body more slender on that 6'3" frame. And he has been working out but not overly much, he's a very active guy, runs 1/2 marathons, has done some triathlons, munro bagging, indoor rock climbing...anyway you get the picture. He's verra athletic to begin with.

Sam also has been exfoliating for some other parts and was asked to let the chest hair grow for the Jamie part. Remember Sam's a natural blonde and his body hair would be hard to see on film.

I think Sam and the rest of the cast are fabulous - each character brings their A game every day! They just finished up filming season 1 and will be on a well deserved break. The mid season break for us however, is a bummer and I hope it isn't too long.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Sam did say he gained some weight to play Jamie, he's got a runners body more slender on that 6'3" frame. And he has been working out but not overly much, he's a very active guy, runs 1/2 marathons, has done some triathlons, munro bagging, indoor rock climbing...anyway you get the picture. He's verra athletic to begin with.

Sam also has been exfoliating for some other parts and was asked to let the chest hair grow for the Jamie part. Remember Sam's a natural blonde and his body hair would be hard to see on film.

I think Sam and the rest of the cast are fabulous - each character brings their A game every day! They just finished up filming season 1 and will be on a well deserved break. The mid season break for us however, is a bummer and I hope it isn't too long.
Glad he's growing back his chest hair. That's one trend I just don't get. If a guy is extremely hairy, I have no problem with trimming. I also have no problem with getting rid of back hair, but this trend of hairless chests and other things is not attractive to me. I guess I just grew up in an era when chest hair was considered manly, and guys who shaved (weight lifters, swimmers, bikers, etc.) were the only ones with an excuse. I just think the shaved chest makes the pecs look weird. The body is nice but the obviously shaved and/or waxed chest just turns me off a little bit. Is that weird?

moderator cut: image removed

Last edited by Marka; 09-28-2014 at 02:31 AM..

Old 09-25-2014, 10:20 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,546,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Glad he's growing back his chest hair. That's one trend I just don't get. If a guy is extremely hairy, I have no problem with trimming. I also have no problem with getting rid of back hair, but this trend of hairless chests and other things is not attractive to me. I guess I just grew up in an era when chest hair was considered manly, and guys who shaved (weight lifters, swimmers, bikers, etc.) were the only ones with an excuse. I just think the shaved chest makes the pecs look weird. The body is nice but the obviously shaved and/or waxed chest just turns me off a little bit. Is that weird?
I don't understand getting rid of chest hair. It's masculine. I love a hairy chest.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:28 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times
I read that once Sam Heughan was chosen for the part, they sent a trainer to London and he began working out 2 or 3 times a day (!!!) for 6 weeks. I also read somewhere that he consumes 6,000 calories a day to maintain his physique.

An interesting interview of him here:

Sam Heughan talks 'Outlander' (and what's under his kilt) | Inside TV | EW.com

Old 09-25-2014, 12:16 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times
He was much thinner in the 2011 film A Princess for Christmas

Old 09-25-2014, 12:23 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I read that once Sam Heughan was chosen for the part, they sent a trainer to London and he began working out 2 or 3 times a day (!!!) for 6 weeks. I also read somewhere that he consumes 6,000 calories a day to maintain his physique.
Not that I'm complaining, he does have more of a gym body than an actual guy of that time period would. Men back then may have been fit because of the amount of physical activity they were getting (walking, riding, fighting, etc.) but no way would they be consuming anywhere near 6000 calories/day to be bulked up like that. They'd be much more scrappy/sinewy-looking. So Jamie is a total fantasy dreamboat, and I'm okay with that.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 09-25-2014 at 12:34 PM..

Old 09-25-2014, 02:28 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,009,154 times
Well we won't be seeing the show after Saturdays episode again until April 4th!!! I had originally heard January. I'm a lot disappointed. I wonder how many will be canceling their Starz and starting it up again in April?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV