Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 03:59 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,581,120 times

Advertisements

Love Colbert! Wonderful news for him. I love his enthusiasm when he can't wait to interview a guest that he particularly reveres. I'll miss his addressing us as "Nation".

I think we'll see a more relaxed version of Colbert. Wonder what his "thing" will be? Letterman had Top Ten, Carson/Leno had Headlines, and Fallon has the Thank You's. Think he'll keep Tonight's Word?

Shame of it is, that I just don't stay up that late any more, but always watch The Colbert Report the next day at 7 pm. When I used to stay up late, I'd flip back and forth to try to catch the best bits of lots of shows, but now… maybe only on Friday nights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 05:26 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,257,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
Love Colbert! Wonderful news for him. I love his enthusiasm when he can't wait to interview a guest that he particularly reveres. I'll miss his addressing us as "Nation".

I think we'll see a more relaxed version of Colbert. Wonder what his "thing" will be? Letterman had Top Ten, Carson/Leno had Headlines, and Fallon has the Thank You's. Think he'll keep Tonight's Word?

Shame of it is, that I just don't stay up that late any more, but always watch The Colbert Report the next day at 7 pm. When I used to stay up late, I'd flip back and forth to try to catch the best bits of lots of shows, but now… maybe only on Friday nights.
I sure hope Stephen keeps Tonight's Word. It's my absolute favorite segment. We have to get up early, too, we also watch a day later at 7 pm.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:35 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
I think he is a good choice and when Letterman announced his retirement, I had hoped his replacement would be Steve Cobert. I do like The Colbert Report.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:52 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I don't find Colbert particularly funny. He seems to appeal to the lowest common denominator.
Which would be defined how? As liberals?

In fact, Colbert has already said he would not be bringing the character of Stephen "Col-bear," father of Stephen Junior, the proud American eagle, to CBS with him. I certainly hope, however, he will continue to poke fun at politicians, which comedians from Bob Hope, to Johnny Carson, to Tina Fey have become American icons doing.

I've enjoyed Stephen Colbert, the performer, being successful in dramatic acting, singing, dancing, and interviewing everyone from the silliest celebrity to the most serious author or scientist ... in addition to stand-up and skit comedy. So I think he certainly has the skills required to be successful in this genre. I understand he's also a notable catechism teacher at his family's Roman Catholic church.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:16 PM

561 posts, read 1,180,488 times
Wow! I'm actually kind of emotional now. I love Colbert, so I'm happy to see him getting a more prominent role and exposure. But I'll also be very sad for the eventual denoument of The Colbert Report. I think it's a safe bet that Comedy Central won't replace him with another host - he's more than just the name of the show, he is the show. They'll have to replace it with a new show altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I think the format will stifle his talents, but hopefully I am wrong. I will miss his old show!
I'm worried about that as well, but we really don't know anything about how he'll change Late Show; we're just speculating at this point. But he probably won't have the level of creative freedom Comedy Central give him. Some of his sexual-related humor will have to be seriously curtailed, which is unfortunate because watching him embarrass himself is almost as funny as the humor itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Although TDS is bothering me - always about Crimea.....get some new material please!
I agree. I don't know if it's just coincidence, but it seems ever since John Oliver left to develop his own show, TDS has seemed pretty flat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Letterman's act had grown tired on "The Late Show", so it's time for a change. What will be interesting is what Colbert will do in his act, and we really don't know yet.
Yeah, hopefully he'll be as innovative and daring as Letterman was early in his career. He'll be hosting the show as himself, so it looks like his faux-right-ring persona will be retired as well. I wonder how much political satire will be in his new show? I don't think CBS will want him to be overly ideological - that would probably limit his appeal somewhat (though it doesn't bother me).

Old 04-12-2014, 07:03 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,846,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmantz65 View Post
I wonder how he will do in this time slot, especially since he is coming from cable. I assume his show will be "safe" like Letterman/Leno is/was and not too wacky. I still like Craig Ferguson the best, but I would imagine his show would take a hit or be different if he had to do it at 11:30. I used to love Conan's Late Night and when he replaced Leno it just didn't appeal to me anymore. But who knows, they sound like they are going after the younger demographic.
Really thought Craig Ferguson would take that Letterman spot. He is just the greatest. Just imagine how wonderful he would be with a band....................why the rush to pick a replacement? Steve is a talented person, should be interesting!!

Old 04-12-2014, 07:38 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Who's replacing Stephen?

Old 04-12-2014, 07:45 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Haven't watched late night TV since I discovered the Hallmark Channel and the weather news. When they get something that is not pure trash, I might watch it.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:22 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Which would be defined how? As liberals?

In fact, Colbert has already said he would not be bringing the character of Stephen "Col-bear," father of Stephen Junior, the proud American eagle, to CBS with him.

Of course he won't be bringing that character with him. If he'd planned on doing that, he wouldn't have gotten the gig.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:30 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
One thing I sorely miss from Johnny Carson that I hope Colbert will remember: Movie and TV stars are fine, but they shouldn't be the only guests night after night, week after week, month after month. Shake it up a little. Set your sights beyond actors and actresses and the occasional comedian.

.).

....and include some potato chip ladies (you had to be there). There's a reason Carson's "classic" shows sell the way they do, even decades later. I don't see that ever happening with this crowd.

In Carson's day, he had a lot of "regular" folks, such as the potato chip lady, as guests. But even the celebs were there to be entertaining--a young Robert Blake was a regular guest (I remember one appearance, in '72, in which he complained that Mark Spitz was getting all the roles lol), as was a very young and shy Diane Keaton, who used to read poems she'd composed. Bette Midler, another regular, would often appear in her leather motorcycle apparel for more than a few laughs. And they weren't there to push a movie, plug a book, or promote their TV shows, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV