Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 10:44 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,415,700 times

Advertisements

I know we're not supposed to discuss Broadchurch, but I was thinking last night that one thing that doesn't translate is the concept of the "town priest." In a small British town, yes, the Church of England would be a unifying location, and the priest would be seen as a community leader. In a small American town, the odds that all of our major players would be of the same denomination and all go to the same church are slim. Someplace like Gracepoint would have a Catholic church, a Methodist church, a Baptist church, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 11:02 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,716,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
S2 of Broadchurch has already been filmed and is awaiting an airdate.. So, likely, if Gracepoint delivers the ratings that Fox wants.. They'll shoot S2 of it as well.

Ratings are at about 3.5 million viewers per week and somewhere around a .8 in the 18-49 demo.

I'd say it doesn't look good for renewal.
"Broadchurch" series 2 is expected to air in January 2015 in UK. BBCA promises to air it "early 2015."

Having this bookended by the original does it no favors, IMHO.

I expect that any decision on a U.S. season 2 will be highly dependent on how well "Broadchurch 2" does overall.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:46 PM

17,599 posts, read 15,284,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I know we're not supposed to discuss Broadchurch, but I was thinking last night that one thing that doesn't translate is the concept of the "town priest." In a small British town, yes, the Church of England would be a unifying location, and the priest would be seen as a community leader. In a small American town, the odds that all of our major players would be of the same denomination and all go to the same church are slim. Someplace like Gracepoint would have a Catholic church, a Methodist church, a Baptist church, etc.
I agree totally. I think they could have been better served changing the priest to be the mayor or something in Gracepoint.. However, you lose the whole Catholic Church distrust thing if you do that.

And, the whole Broadchurch thing.. It's totally fair in an instance like this.. Where you're doing a comparison between the two. I don't think it would be fair at all to reveal who the killer was in Broadchurch, even though it is supposed to be different in Gracepoint. Or to spoil upcoming storylines.

What I actually thought was odd in Broadchurch was the trailer park. I didn't even know they had trailers in the UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
"Broadchurch" series 2 is expected to air in January 2015 in UK. BBCA promises to air it "early 2015."

Having this bookended by the original does it no favors, IMHO.

I expect that any decision on a U.S. season 2 will be highly dependent on how well "Broadchurch 2" does overall.
This I disagree with.

I think the ratings of Gracepoint are the number one factor. If it was blowing the competition out of the water, they wouldn't care what Broadchurch was doing.. There would be a S2. IF it was total crap in the ratings, it'd have been moved online or stuck on Hulu to burn off the episodes. As it stands.. It's hanging on by the skin of its teeth, which does not bode well for production of a S2.

TVByTheNumbers tends to agree with me.. They have it listed as certain to be cancelled.

FOX Predictions: ‘The Mindy Project’ Is Certain To Be Renewed, The Syndication Gods Demand It! - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers.Zap2it.com

And, back in October, did a nice little writeup that states why better than I did..

FOX Predictions: ‘Gracepoint’ Is Certain To Be Canceled; Wait, Isn’t It A “Limited Series”? - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers.Zap2it.com

Old 11-22-2014, 07:50 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,192,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post

Having this bookended by the original does it no favors, IMHO..

Excuse me for asking a dumb question.. Why don't they just broadcast Broadchurch here in U.S.A.??

Old 11-22-2014, 08:30 AM

17,599 posts, read 15,284,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Excuse me for asking a dumb question.. Why don't they just broadcast Broadchurch here in U.S.A.??
Because most Americans can't understand a dang word that Tennant says in his scottish accent.

Honestly, you're right in hindsight.. wasn't any point in blowing the money to remake it with American actors (short of Tennant) and stretching it out to 10 episodes.

The pacing of Broadchurch was bad, but since there were 2 hours less (They only did 8 episodes) it wasn't anywhere near as pronounced as it is with the remake.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:52 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,293,525 times
Quote:
They did. It was kind a of a big deal on BBC America.

But the big networks have a long history of remaking successful BBC shows into American versions. This is nothing new.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:07 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,716,244 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Because most Americans can't understand a dang word that Tennant says in his scottish accent.

Honestly, you're right in hindsight.. wasn't any point in blowing the money to remake it with American actors (short of Tennant) and stretching it out to 10 episodes.

The pacing of Broadchurch was bad, but since there were 2 hours less (They only did 8 episodes) it wasn't anywhere near as pronounced as it is with the remake.
It was broadcast in the U.S. this past summer on BBC America.
Interestingly, by the time it aired, many people here that wanted to see it had already done so, via other means.
Mr. Tennant has a huge number of fans who are not at all put off by his natural accent.

I expect it is all about money, but it seems to me that it would have been a natural fit for Masterpiece Mystery and would have received a much bigger audience on PBS than it did on BBCA, which was one of the arguments for the re-imagining on FOX. It could have also run as a standalone on PBS as was/is done with "DCI Banks" and "Doc Martin" among others.

I read this week that they are planning to do a "Luther" remake (!) as well, another show that has run on BBCA and could logically run on PBS.

FOX doesn't have a great track record but remaking shows that are currently running in other incarnations does seem a rather odd decision, even for them.

In any event, I am looking forward to the final two episodes of "Gracepoint." Very curious to see how it plays out.

Old 11-22-2014, 05:53 PM

11,642 posts, read 12,717,447 times
Davy, our laddie boy, did just fine tellng the Yanks about the wee penguins in Antarctica.

If they renew Gracepoint, what's D.T. going to do? Play the same character all year round, filimg one version for hte UK and one for the US?

Old 11-23-2014, 08:00 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,381,466 times
While I agree with some of the criticism of the acting on this show, I think the trailer park lady (Susan Wright?) is one of the more fascinating and creepy characters I've seen on TV recently. A really odd bird.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:04 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,256,639 times
I'm still enjoying this show and look forward to the last 2 episodes.

I have an idea of who the killer is!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV