Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 05:59 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,259,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Agreed.

I know it has to be tough coming right behind such an accomplished cast, but the show-runners definitely could have made better choices so that it isn't so much of a contrast.
Agree. Anna Gunn is especially bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 09:09 AM

17,599 posts, read 15,284,873 times
This show has a very good plot.. The pacing is horrendous.

Broadchurch was 8 episodes, this is 10.. Doesn't really look like they're doing anything other than stretching it out by slowing it down.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:33 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,901,124 times
I wish those of you who cannot see Gracepoint outside of its "I liked it better when it was Broadchurch" context would start a "Broadchurch was so much better than its pale, loathsome imitator Gracepoint" thread.

Because you've become tiresome. And I don't give a single turd about your vaunted Broadchurch, a show I never watched and now never will watch. Not one.

Old 10-26-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Because you've become tiresome. And I don't give a single turd about your vaunted Broadchurch, a show I never watched and now never will watch. Not one.
Oh, the horror.. You won't watch it.. My heart is breaking.

Outside of the pacing.. I don't have a major issue with it. It is, basically, a direct retread. as much as people will point out the differences.. Even camera angles are basically the same. A stuffed monkey was even left in both series.. *IF* that makes sense in the UK, which I doubt, it makes less sense here. How many 11 year olds' favorite thing would be a stuffed monkey? I figure they'll have a different killer at the end. But, i'll bet they'll be related (A clue for who I think it will be in Gracepoint, if you've watched Broadchurch)..

I think these producers will think they're slick by making that person the killer.

Ep 4 of Gracepoint ended with the boat on fire, if I recall?

That was where Ep 3 of Broadchurch ended. And they have basically developed the story the exact same amount.. So, Gracepoint has taken 45 minutes longer to tell the exact same things.

Had Tennant used his SE English accent, there would be comparisons to The Doctor. His natural Scottish would have been odd, as well.. But.. Could have been used to develop a backstory. It's odd to see him speaking American.. but it's odd when you hear Andrew Lincoln speaking with his natural accent. It's also very, Very, VERY odd to see Broadchurch and none of the cops seem to have guns. Somehow, I am betting that the crossbow turns out to be something more than a crossbow in Gracepoint.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:54 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,281,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I wish those of you who cannot see Gracepoint outside of its "I liked it better when it was Broadchurch" context would start a "Broadchurch was so much better than its pale, loathsome imitator Gracepoint" thread.

Agreed. This thread is difficult to navigate due to the constant Broadchurch comparisons. Not all of us have watched that show.

And I would think that, considering that this show was about Gracepoint, that Broadchurch posts would be considered off-topic.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Agreed. This thread is difficult to navigate due to the constant Broadchurch comparisons. Not all of us have watched that show.

And I would think that, considering that this show was about Gracepoint, that Broadchurch posts would be considered off-topic.
You talk about Chris Pine as Captain Kirk.. you can't say Shatner is off topic.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
You talk about Chris Pine as Captain Kirk.. you can't say Shatner is off topic.

Nice try.

You are talking about the same exact character with diffferent actors.

Gracepoint is meant to be its own show.

You cannot see how confusing/irritating it would be for someone who has not watched Broadchurch?

Old 10-27-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:

You cannot see how confusing/irritating it would be for someone who has not watched Broadchurch?
If there was spoiling happening.. yes.

Look at the Walking Dead topic.. There's lots of bleed over there comparing what happens in the comics vs what happens on the TV show. You'd have a better argument with that, because at least there are differences between the two. Gracepoint can be INTENDED to be different, but until it actually IS different.. I pour a Coke into a Pepsi glass, that doesn't make it any different. it's still a Coke.

So far, it's really been a shot for shot remake with the exact same characters, just different names.. And, of course, my complaint.. Horrible pacing because they're dragging it out to be 10 episodes.

Were the internet around at the time, i'm sure there'd be comparisons between Steptoe and Son and Sanford and Son saying why the original was so much better.

Old 10-27-2014, 01:35 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,716,244 times
Quote:
Nice try.

You are talking about the same exact character with diffferent actors.

And yet, conversely, here we have the same actor playing the same, but, differently titled role.

Not sure how it would be possible for comparisons not to be made, particularly coming so close on the heels of the first iteration.

I think that it is perfectly fair to critique the acting styles, pacing, etc.

And quite frankly, I would feel the same had I not seen the original.
The story is engrossing, but the vehicles chosen to deliver it are seriously lacking.

Old 10-27-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
And yet, conversely, here we have the same actor playing the same, but, differently titled role.

Not sure how it would be possible for comparisons not to be made, particularly coming so close on the heels of the first iteration.

I think that it is perfectly fair to critique the acting styles, pacing, etc.

And quite frankly, I would feel the same had I not seen the original.
The story is engrossing, but the vehicles chosen to deliver it are seriously lacking.
It is simple - start another thread.

I don't know what actor you are referring to - I skip the posts about Broadchurch.

Of course it is fair to critique acting styles, etc. - for Gracepoint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV