Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2020, 10:15 AM

1,273 posts, read 1,641,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCviaMD View Post
I thought it was going to be like that too. I do not like the way Randall is using emotional manipulation to make his mother go do the clinical trial. Kevin is NOT going to be down with that!!
I don’t either but I understand it more. It never occurred to me until last night how much more Randall has lost. Three parents. I get that he HAS to save his mom. But it’s so sad but he is going to lose so much in the process.

Old 03-18-2020, 11:43 AM

12,847 posts, read 871,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinsey86 View Post
I don’t either but I understand it more. It never occurred to me until last night how much more Randall has lost. Three parents. I get that he HAS to save his mom. But it’s so sad but he is going to lose so much in the process.
(I'm almost afraid to post in this thread, but here goes.)

For all intents and purposes Randall hasn't lost three parents per se. He never knew his bio-mother. He only knew his bio-father for a very short time, which of course he felt pain, but no need to go bonkers about it. It was the loss of his adoptive father that stands out. However, it does NOT excuse him for being such a jerk. It didn't just happen to him.

No wonder he wasn't at the cabin for the Big 3's 40th birthday party. (Which for those who can't or don't keep track, was shown in a fast-forward in a past episode.) Randall should probably consider going to therapy 3-4 times a week. He needs to stop being so judgmental.

Now I have to say that I think the actor who plays Randall, Sterling K. Brown, is excellent in the role. For me to have such strong reactions to any character means the actor is doing their job very well.

Old 03-18-2020, 11:45 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,308,687 times
Some of the storylines were interesting if Jack didn't die:

Randall met his bio-Dad as a teen.

Kate had twin girls, presumably sighted.

I'm sure there were many more.

Old 03-18-2020, 11:50 AM

50,927 posts, read 24,432,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Kevin is a famous actor. That ain't nothing. He's grown up a lot since the addiction crisis. And even before that he stopped relying on Kate so much.

He flew to Randal's side when he had that meltdown at work. Heard it in his voice, dropped everything, and went to him.
There has been enough of a transformation of the character that I no longer cringe when his segments are shown. But the change has been relatively recent. Let's see how it plays out over time.

Old 03-18-2020, 12:02 PM

1,381 posts, read 2,106,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainydayparis View Post

For all intents and purposes Randall hasn't lost three parents per se. He never knew his bio-mother. He only knew his bio-father for a very short time, which of course he felt pain, but no need to go bonkers about it. It was the loss of his adoptive father that stands out. However, it does NOT excuse him for being such a jerk.
I'm not adopted but I think there is a certain "loss" that some adoptive kids feel if they don't get to meet their birth parents. And he did develop a really nice relationship with his birth dad only to lose him shortly after. There are people that cope better than others with certain situations and people that just don't and he falls into the latter category.
Agreed that the actor is incredible in this role.

Old 03-18-2020, 12:16 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,025,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainydayparis View Post

For all intents and purposes Randall hasn't lost three parents per se. He never knew his bio-mother. He only knew his bio-father for a very short time, which of course he felt pain, but no need to go bonkers about it. It was the loss of his adoptive father that stands out. However, it does NOT excuse him for being such a jerk. It didn't just happen to him.

No wonder he wasn't at the cabin for the Big 3's 40th birthday party. (Which for those who can't or don't keep track, was shown in a fast-forward in a past episode.) Randall should probably consider going to therapy 3-4 times a week. He needs to stop being so judgmental.

Now I have to say that I think the actor who plays Randall, Sterling K. Brown, is excellent in the role. For me to have such strong reactions to any character means the actor is doing their job very well.
I was thinking the same. His bio-mother was never in the picture.
Knowing she loved him should have been a positive
(or was that just an imaginary moment)

I think he just has severe anxiety that causes him to be very controlling.
It is robbing him the enjoyment of his amazing family.
He needs anxiety meds so he can enjoy what he has..
I have seen someone crippled with this before that did a 180 with the right meds.

Old 03-18-2020, 12:31 PM

12,847 posts, read 871,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I was thinking the same. His bio-mother was never in the picture.
Knowing she loved him should have been a positive
(or was that just an imaginary moment)

I think he just has severe anxiety that causes him to be very controlling.
It is robbing him the enjoyment of his amazing family.
He needs anxiety meds so he can enjoy what he has..
I have seen someone crippled with this before that did a 180 with the right meds.
Yes, well said; especially the part about robbing him the enjoyment of his amazing family. All of them.

Old 03-18-2020, 12:48 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,994,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I personally didn’t care for it. It did make me really dislike Randall. He is completely manipulating his mom to make himself feel better.
More accurately, he thinks manipulating his mom is going to cure his anxiety.

Spoiler alert: It won't.

Besides, we all lose all of our parents. I'm shocked the therapist didn't point that out.

Old 03-18-2020, 12:51 PM

7,222 posts, read 11,945,754 times
I didn't care for the episode at all. Nothing went forward and only one more show this season.

Old 03-18-2020, 01:08 PM

1,484 posts, read 1,231,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
I didn't care for the episode at all. Nothing went forward and only one more show this season.
The last scene with the phone call between Randall and Rebecca moved it a little bit forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.