Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2020, 08:22 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It's funny how we all see things differently. I thought it was the best episode of the series. Sterling Brown's acting is superb, although the real rising star this year may very well be Niles Fitch. And I saw connections here between the episode and "A Christmas Carol" and "It's A Wonderful Life".
yes, I agree, his acting is superb but I am a little annoyed and disappointed with his character....however that being said, as my daughter in law pointed out....here you have a child who can't identify with who he really is...and I believe that is the root of his anxiety....he did lose his real father, who gave him up, and he understood why, but did not understand, the complexity of it, when it comes down to the meat of his heritage...then, lost his maternal father, after he lost his adoptive father, and now is going to lose his mother...and what scared me, is when he said, "I don't believe I'm going to be able to handle loosing her". I think his anxiety issues are logical, when you are able to look at a much bigger picture....and believe his therapist is trying to touch base on that for it to surface.

What scares me about him, is the way he makes up in his mind, the way things are supposed to happen, I mean actual events, to play out the way he imagines them to...and nothing works like that. I had a neighbor, who did the same thing, when we all got together for the evening, if things did not play out the way she imagined them in her mind, she became unhinged....and it ruined the night for her...and everyone else.
That behavior is to me, seriously a problem?

But, as we all should take a step back and self examine, I believe his therapist will help him learn how to practice that....however, in the meantime, I do not like the way he made his mother feel guilty and used that to make her agree to take the trials, there is an incredible amount of risks in clinical trials....and if those trials trigger something that would cause her to leave this earth or worse lay there in a vegetative state...then I fear he would surely lose it....????

Lets remember meds are chemicals and everyone's body reacts differently to chemicals...

Old 03-19-2020, 08:48 AM

12,842 posts, read 868,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Didn't she ??? I think she thought it was best, but she did keep him from knowing his dad.
Sorry for the confusion. What I was referring to was the Randall "fantasy" when he was 17 years old with Jack still alive and he found out what Rebecca knew about William. That's the part I meant didn't happen.

Of course many years later Randall did find out on his own. He then found out Rebecca kept it to herself about William, but honestly I don't blame her. She was being a good mother protecting her son, not William's son, Jack and Rebecca's son. Randall's "dad" is/was Jack!

Old 03-19-2020, 10:21 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainydayparis View Post
Sorry for the confusion. What I was referring to was the Randall "fantasy" when he was 17 years old with Jack still alive and he found out what Rebecca knew about William. That's the part I meant didn't happen.

Of course many years later Randall did find out on his own. He then found out Rebecca kept it to herself about William, but honestly I don't blame her. She was being a good mother protecting her son, not William's son, Jack and Rebecca's son. Randall's "dad" is/was Jack!
What is her excuse for keeping the info about his bio dad from him after he was an adult ??

Old 03-19-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
What is her excuse for keeping the info about his bio dad from him after he was an adult ??
Got me. Added drama for a television show??

Old 03-19-2020, 12:59 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,639,579 times
Quote:
Fear of his reaction. Keeping a secret like that takes on a life of its on. And remember she kept it from Jack too.

Old 03-19-2020, 01:34 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
She wasn't protecting him. She was protecting herself. William was clean and would be a good father and that scared her.

Old 03-19-2020, 01:48 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Randall was tightly wound even as a kid. We saw examples of how he unrealistically believes that if he had done things differently, the entire outcome would have changed. Rebecca is a very wise mother who probably knew he'd be burdened by the thought of 'if only I...' and wanted to spare him that heavy load.

Old 03-19-2020, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Randall was tightly wound even as a kid. We saw examples of how he unrealistically believes that if he had done things differently, the entire outcome would have changed. Rebecca is a very wise mother who probably knew he'd be burdened by the thought of 'if only I...' and wanted to spare him that heavy load.
She very clearly admitted she was protecting herself. She feared William wanting him back and getting him back and then she feared Randal's reaction.

Old 03-19-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Except that his mother didn't really do that.
She really did. They went over this in depth. She went to see William when Randal was young and found he had gotten clean and missed his son and she panicked and ran from his apartment.

She clearly said out loud to Jack that she feared losing Randal. Later. At the time, she kept all knowledge of William from Jack as well.

Old 03-19-2020, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
She really did. They went over this in depth. She went to see William when Randal was young and found he had gotten clean and missed his son and she panicked and ran from his apartment.

She clearly said out loud to Jack that she feared losing Randal. Later. At the time, she kept all knowledge of William from Jack as well.
As you can see in my post below (#3642) I already addressed this. Also, to me, it is worth noting again that it was in one of Randall's fantasies! It also bears repeating that his father was NOT William. His father was JACK! William provided the sperm and had the good sense to know he couldn't handle a child.

Quote:

Buh-bye everybody!

Last edited by rainydayparis; 03-19-2020 at 02:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV