Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2022, 12:07 PM

17,627 posts, read 15,327,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
So, for those of you who watched this series free on Fox for 2 seasons as we all did, and are now paying a premium to watch it on HULU or Prime or some other newly sprouted media weed hell bent on making P.T. Barnum very proud....are you now rewarded with a vastly superior product in season 3?

Different. It's more serious. Still keeps the humor in place though I would consider it a bit more muted.

I think the stories are just as good, just as well written. As established before here.. A bit too preachy at times.

This season really showed that the change from Halston Sage to Jessica Szohr was absolutely needed No offense to Sage, but she'd have been totally unbelievable in the security chief role the way it was done in late S2/S3, IMO. Of course, perhaps it'd have been written differently if she had stayed.

The effects seemed a little.. less than they were on Fox. Not horribly so, but kinda noticeably. Maybe it was because some of them were a bit more involved.

All in all. I was fine with it. I did enjoy the episodes running a little longer. Most of them, instead of being the ~42 minutes that they would have been on Fox, they averaged about 60-65 minutes as I recall.

Not enough Norm MacDonald. If it's true that he recorded all his lines before he passed.. They kinda did him a disservice with how little he was utilized.

Not nearly enough guest stars as in previous seasons. We had those great little gems like Robert Picardo and John Billingsley and others from Star Trek before.. And I don't recall any of them this go round.

As I mentioned before.. Many things seemed a little rushed. "Surprise, we've got time travel".. "Surprise, we've got a new weapon".

Still enjoyable? Certainly.

And.. I'm not paying a premium JUST to watch this. I didn't sign up for Hulu just to watch this show. Had Hulu for quite some time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2022, 12:57 PM

10,003 posts, read 5,711,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
So, for those of you who watched this series free on Fox for 2 seasons as we all did, and are now paying a premium to watch it on HULU or Prime or some other newly sprouted media weed hell bent on making P.T. Barnum very proud....are you now rewarded with a vastly superior product in season 3?
In terms of production quality... a little.

In terms of story telling... no. For one it lost almost all its comedic edge which drew me in at the beginning.

Old 08-05-2022, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
In terms of production quality... a little.

In terms of story telling... no. For one it lost almost all its comedic edge which drew me in at the beginning.

You really think the stories weren't as strong?

I thought they were good, if not a little rushed and.. I'll certainly say that they kinda had a feeling of 'tying up loose ends' so that if this is the end of the series, there's some closure. So, if you want to look at it as somewhat 'rehashing'.. I could get behind that.

And, again.. The preaching on them, but.. It wasn't so bad as to completely wreck things.

Old 08-05-2022, 01:17 PM

28,691 posts, read 18,842,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Yeah.. I really can't stand her character. And.. How offensive would it have been to the Kaylons, if they could be offended, for Isaac to have the holofilter to make him appear human throughout the wedding ceremony?

The final episode.. I didn't like the entire marriage plot. I thought the subplots on it were quite good. The storyline with Lysella particularly. I thought that was a very good exploration of what can/could happen when technology outpaces.. I suppose intellectual development in a society.

Star Trek has talked about that many times over the years, but never really explored it. Unless one of the newer series has. They've touched upon it, but never really delved into it.

Anyway.. Yes, the final season, assuming it's not renewed, which, sadly, I don't believe it will be. Was EXCELLENT science fiction.. A tad too preachy. A tad too rushed. Just at the start of one episode "Surprise, we have a new weapon that we haven't even talked about before that can destroy all Kaylons".. That should have been a mutli-episode arc. But.. They didn't have the time for it.

As I and others have said before.. It seems The Orville is the best Star Trek series at the moment. And yes, after S2 of Picard.. I still say that.
Strange New Worlds and Lower Decks are quite good.

Old 08-05-2022, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Strange New Worlds and Lower Decks are quite good.

I watch Lower Decks.. And, surprisingly.. That kids show.. Prodigy is actually quite well done.

I have a hard time considering anything on Lower Decks as canon, tho.

Old 08-05-2022, 02:36 PM

Quote:
I watch Lower Decks.. And, surprisingly.. That kids show.. Prodigy is actually quite well done.

I have a hard time considering anything on Lower Decks as canon, tho.
Lower Decks is totally canon. We may never see any new information from Lower Decks in any other show, but Lower Decks constantly refers to every other show. It fully fits into the Star Trek universe with never a need to retcon or plothole-cover anything.

Old 08-05-2022, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Lower Decks is totally canon. We may never see any new information from Lower Decks in any other show, but Lower Decks constantly refers to every other show. It fully fits into the Star Trek universe with never a need to retcon or plothole-cover anything.

Well, that's what makes it canon. That what happened in LD actually happened and is recognized as having had happened in other shows within the 'universe'

What you're describing is that LD respects existing Trek canon. Which.. I mean, I'd be ticked if they called themselves Star Trek and didn't.

The Pocket Books Star Trek Novels that.. About one per month came out in the late 80's to mid 90's.. Those respected Star Trek's existing canon, but they are not considered canon themselves.

Old 08-05-2022, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Well, that's what makes it canon. That what happened in LD actually happened and is recognized as having had happened in other shows within the 'universe'

What you're describing is that LD respects existing Trek canon. Which.. I mean, I'd be ticked if they called themselves Star Trek and didn't.

The Pocket Books Star Trek Novels that.. About one per month came out in the late 80's to mid 90's.. Those respected Star Trek's existing canon, but they are not considered canon themselves.
We've also been told by producers that everything that appears on screen is canon.

Old 08-05-2022, 05:15 PM

10,003 posts, read 5,711,232 times
Quote:
You really think the stories weren't as strong?

I thought they were good, if not a little rushed and.. I'll certainly say that they kinda had a feeling of 'tying up loose ends' so that if this is the end of the series, there's some closure. So, if you want to look at it as somewhat 'rehashing'.. I could get behind that.

And, again.. The preaching on them, but.. It wasn't so bad as to completely wreck things.
I guess that depends on what you expected from the show. They pitched it as a slightly more juvenile Galaxy Quest-style send-up, which it was at first, and I enjoyed it as such.

As for the preaching... maybe I could have put up with it more a few years ago. But here in 2022, frankly I'm exhausted with being smacked across the face with overt progressive-leftist political messaging from every corner of our popular culture and elsewhere these days. Originally this show was a departure from that; now it's just another vehicle for it. Maybe the storytelling got better and less overtly preachy in subsequent episodes after I stopped watching; but even if it did, I still miss the McFarlane-style good-natured jabs at the genre. Without it the show loses a lot of what I found appealing about it.

As for Halston Sage... I miss the running gag her sprinting through corridors in some sort of overwrought panic. And she was way hotter than the chick who replaced her, even with elven ears and bits of latex on her forehead. Ensign Charly is a worthy stand-in though.

Last edited by Bitey; 08-05-2022 at 05:25 PM..

Old 08-06-2022, 07:25 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,898,134 times
Finished the series last night. Episode 9 Domino was excellent, and the ending actually made me tear up. I can understand the thinking behind the finale and the wedding and all, but still it's a toaster. I like my Alexa but not going to marry it.

I do hope there's a season 4. Overall I enjoyed this series.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV