Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 06:25 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times

Advertisements

Ok
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 11:01 PM

17,743 posts, read 9,192,519 times
I will definitely watch it.

Old 06-24-2018, 05:29 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,607,055 times
They'll need better writers. The awful Whitney Cummings (who wrote the awful 2 Broke Girls) wasn't going to be a writer for the 2nd season of Roseanne, anyway, so hopefully they'll bring in a writer or 2 who are of a higher caliber for this new show. I was pretty bored with the new version of Roseanne in spite of automatically liking the actors and wanting them to succeed.

Also, Lori Metcalf needs to tone down her theater chops and get back into the swing of television acting. And Sorenson needs to tone down her voice acting chops and ditto.

I think they should make John Goodman the main character of the new show - he's such an amazing actor and was the only one who was doing a really good job on the new version of Roseanne. If the focus is on Darlene and her kids now, Goodman should have a major and consistent subplot going in every epi. Maybe - Dan tries to date? Or various women chase after him? That could be funny.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:19 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,984,947 times
I'm going to give it a shot. I loved the original series. It seemed that Roseanne's acting in the reboot was very strained and her timing was off. I hope they give Jackie more air time (she didn't seem to have a lot in the first reboot). She is a great character. I would also like to see them bring back Andy. I'm sure his relationship with Jackie would be very dysfunctional.

Old 06-25-2018, 05:04 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Whitney Cummings wrote the first season? No wonder I thought it was awful. I also felt like Roseanne was just phoning it in this time so maybe it will survive without her. I wonder if they will kill her off in some bizarre way or have her die a peaceful death.....

Old 06-25-2018, 06:35 AM

9,882 posts, read 7,217,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Whitney Cummings wrote the first season? No wonder I thought it was awful. I also felt like Roseanne was just phoning it in this time so maybe it will survive without her. I wonder if they will kill her off in some bizarre way or have her die a peaceful death.....
She did not write the first season but Roseanne was credited as a writer. Cummings was the EP and show runner.

Now as EP, she may have had some input to the scripts but she did not write the season.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:48 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,235,127 times
Whitney Cummings was one of the Executive Producers, and a co-showrunner. She was (partially) responsible for making the show happen each week. Overseeing the writers, creating a "tone", defining the season arc... all the functions of a showrunner. She is good friends with Bruce Helford, who put together this 2018 Roseanne revival. He brought her in, knowing he needed some adults in leadership positions.

She is incredibly busy in Hollywood these days, a very in-demand writer & producer. Plus comedian. She announced she was leaving well before "The Event", as she had too many other commitments to stay attached to this show.

Whatever one thinks of her, she has created some very successful TV series. While her eponymous named Whitney only lasted two years, 2 Broke Girls was a hit for six seasons, no small feat these days.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:52 AM

17,743 posts, read 9,192,519 times
I love 2 Broke Girls.

Old 06-25-2018, 12:36 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Prediction: The first episode will get high ratings due to curiosity. Certain media outfits will cluck about it. Then it will take a ratings nosedive when people realize, without Roseanne, it's just like every other dysfunctional family sitcom. But the critics will have moved on by then.

Cranky Darlene and her pain in the a** daughter are the 2 most unlikeable characters on the show.

Old 06-25-2018, 12:41 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,229,511 times
I loved Darlene's character on the original run of the show. I was the smart a** in my family too so I could relate to her character. In the new one, she's so blah and passive and doesn't land the jokes like she did back in the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV