Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2009, 02:34 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMathYou View Post
Roseanne (TV series)

This show is interesting, I never actually saw it while it was actually on, but I'm watching some reruns right now. The jokes they make are alittle dry and clesha, but it seems that this show is really really good at portraying how people actually relate to each other. At least in the dramatic scenes. Especially when the dad gets angry out of love. What do you think?
I think you mean cliche.

I always like Roseanne. The producer is from Evansville, IN; and all the pictures between the scene changes, are of Evansville, IN. The Coner house is somewhere on the east side of Evansville, IN. Some trivia for ya...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 05:39 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Maybe it's just me. While I can understand that it was funny, I always found Roseanne to be kind of offensive. No family I ever knew growing up behaved that way. I always thought it inferred that so-called "blue collar" families held lower standards. If I, or anyone I knew would have spoken to our parents or each other that way....honestly, I can't even imagine what would happen because it's so far out of my reality....

Old 04-14-2009, 06:27 PM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
Found this online...

Evansville home used on TV show nets $55,000
By ROGER MCBAIN, Courier & Press staff
July 7, 2004

EVANSVILLE -- In the end, nine years of network television fame -- 16 if you include ongoing reruns -- didn't bring the payoff Anne Noble had hoped for.

The 81-year-old yellow-sided East Side Evansville home featured in opening and transitional shots of television's "Roseanne" show sold at auction Tuesday for $55,000.

Noble grew up in the four-bedroom house her grandfather built in 1923 at 619 S. Runnymeade Ave. She had hoped the home's television fame might boost bidders' interest and help bring at least $75,000 for the house and property, she said. The winning bidder, Dave Clark, expected bidding to go higher as well. "I couldn't believe we got it for that," said the Evansville real estate investor and mortgage company owner. Clark owns several other properties in the neighborhood and lives in the area himself, he said. He intends to rehabilitate the house and put it up for sale. If he can't find a buyer, however, he'll rent the house, as he's done with other homes in the area, he said.

Anne Noble's mother, Jeannette Noble, also grew up in the house Evansville native Matt Williams picked to represent the home of Roseanne and Dan Connor and their children on ABC's "Roseanne." Williams is a University of Evansville graduate who wrote for "The Cosby Show" and later created and produced "Home Improvement." He created and produced "Roseanne" when the show first went on the air in 1988. He later left the show because of disagreements with Roseanne Barr, the show's star.

The Noble home was one of several Evansville images (including the exterior of Kent Plastics and the street sign for Third and Delaware streets) that appeared in establishing shots on "Roseanne." The show was a hit, running from October 1988 to August 1997 on ABC. It continued showing in syndicated reruns. Anne Noble said her mother received a single check for $500 to allow exterior shots of her home to be used on the TV show. She kept a photocopy of the check from the First National Bank of Beverly Hills, Calif., and saved it in an album

If you lookup this address on Google Maps, check out the Streetview. Brings back memories (even if the yard looks shoddy now).

Old 04-14-2009, 08:26 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMathYou View Post
Roseanne (TV series)

This show is interesting, I never actually saw it while it was actually on, but I'm watching some reruns right now. The jokes they make are alittle dry and clesha, but it seems that this show is really really good at portraying how people actually relate to each other. At least in the dramatic scenes. Especially when the dad gets angry out of love. What do you think?
Although I liked the first 4 seasons of the show, I never talked to my parents like that, nor did my kids to me.

The Connors remind me of my sister's family, as that was one crazy household with the screaming and the kids talking back.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:08 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times
I think it is probably one of the more realistic TV shows that have come about. I like how it is about a middle class family in the midwest working normal jobs and living paycheck to paycheck. It represents a lot more families better than most shows do.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:12 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,056,190 times
I used to watch Roseanne all the time when I was young. I have seen every episode of Roseanne

Old 04-15-2009, 07:12 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,962,389 times
I never watched the show when it was on primetime TV but recently been watching it on one of the late nite oldie channels. It is funny and a great supporting cast that compliment each other ... John Goodman, Laurie Metcalf and in early episodes even a young George Clooney. The show laid some issues on the table for all to see that lots of families face.

The changes in Roseanne Barr's physical appearance over the years of the show was interesting to see ... good cosmetic surgery.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:57 PM

515 posts, read 1,329,953 times
Well, the kids on the show weren't how you want kids to turn out like lol. Married and in a trailer park at 19, pregnant at 19....just wrong!

Old 04-15-2009, 10:01 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,737,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Maybe it's just me. While I can understand that it was funny, I always found Roseanne to be kind of offensive. No family I ever knew growing up behaved that way. I always thought it inferred that so-called "blue collar" families held lower standards. If I, or anyone I knew would have spoken to our parents or each other that way....honestly, I can't even imagine what would happen because it's so far out of my reality....
What I learned a long time ago is that you can visit a household and find it very strange the way people interact and what habits they have - how they speak - on what things they place importance. Sometimes it's like a totally different culture. You wouldn't always know it if you didn't spend time in their house. I was able to do this as a child (when you don't really count as far as parents having to put on appearances), and I found some of my friends' families very weird. You just don't know what goes on behind closed doors.

But I always thought the Roseanne Show as relaxed and comfortable so rather believable.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:58 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,159,728 times
I agree that the casting of the show was superb. I thought Laurie Metcalf as Jackie was brilliant. Add Shelley Winters to the list-awesome; I loved her character. I soooooo wanna be like her character when I get older. As the seasons went on, there were excellent characters that came and went. Sandra Bernhart (sp) was another one I liked(and typically she's annoying to me). I loved the Leon and his partner characters......I could go on and on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
I never watched the show when it was on primetime TV but recently been watching it on one of the late nite oldie channels. It is funny and a great supporting cast that compliment each other ... John Goodman, Laurie Metcalf and in early episodes even a young George Clooney. The show laid some issues on the table for all to see that lots of families face.

The changes in Roseanne Barr's physical appearance over the years of the show was interesting to see ... good cosmetic surgery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV