Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2014, 05:11 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,138,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
this show is going downhill very quick

and what's with one minute intro and then 4 minutes of commercials to start the show?

the first 5 minutes are 80% commercials?

boring.
The cast members all got immense pay boosts to sign up for another three seasons. The show has to pay for this so viewers have to pay in the form of less content and more commercials. I don't mind because it is very important to me that these actors get to buy solid gold jacuzzis and ride in twenty five foot limos to where they board their private jets to fly to yet another acting awards show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 05:42 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,582,279 times
Seemed like a disjointed episode. They're all at the restaurant and it seemed like Penny and Lenny were about to take the quiz, and then all of a sudden they're at the ball game! Was it the next day? No segue at all, and quiz issue was dropped.

And what's with Howard and the slo-mo-rover? Didn't he design a robotic arm that was used to fix something in space? Before he lifted the cover, that's what I though he was going to use to pitch the first pitch -- would have made more sense.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:16 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
I thought last night's epi was marginally better than the opening two shows. At least the writers didn't give us an all out Penny/Leonard fight. Maybe they are learning to talk through their mutual concerns? I thought the last bit in the baseball stadium was lousy, frankly. And it could have been so good. They need to give Howard a triumph occasionally. A machine that throws the ball to homeplate would have been a better ending, IMO.

I agree that the ball game segment came with no intro.

I am on record as liking Penney's hair. I think it had gotten too long, and oddly enough, the short hair makes her look younger and fresher.

The first two epis were disappointing, I thought. But apparently, the friends are going to take over or buy a comic book store?

I'm on record also as wishing for more science talk, even though I don't understand that much of it. But it was a big part of the show.

Anyone notice that the CBS promos for Scorpion, which is supposedly had geniuses as central characters, doesn't have the characters talk like they are particularly smart? I bet that shows sinks fast.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:33 PM

I recorded the episode and just now watched it.

Flat, unfunny, never clever, this is looking bad. The slow moving Mars Rover was one joke extended over an entire minute, interrupted by the closing battery of commercials, and then inexplicably milked for another minute in the closer.

And were we supposed to believe that Howard was unaware of how slowly the rover replica moved? It took him by surprise?

Two really bad signs....1) I was noticing the laugh track. This happens when one is not laughing himself. and 2) Even the people doing the laugh track were unable to identify what was supposed to be a comedy line and what was a set up. In the gym, when Howard reaches the end of the measuring tape and looks at the distance, he says "No way that's sixty feet." Bernadette looks at the tape and replies "That's what it says." And the laugh track gets a bang out of that.

The which is the better couple business went nowhere, and as some have already pointed out, just ended abruptly and was never again referenced.

They have come staggering out of the gate here for the 8th season. It has that "going through the motions" feel, the creative fires are no longer burning as brightly among the writers and performers.

BTW... I was joking about the show adding more commercials in order to pay the bloated cast salaries, but you know what? It turns out to be true. In previous seasons the program content ran 20:32 with the rest going to ads. This season the program content is down to 19:32, they have indeed added a full minute of advertising.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:47 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post

Flat, unfunny, never clever, this is looking bad. The slow moving Mars Rover was one joke extended over an entire minute, interrupted by the closing battery of commercials, and then inexplicably milked for another minute in the closer.

And were we supposed to believe that Howard was unaware of how slowly the rover replica moved? It took him by surprise?

Two really bad signs....1) I was noticing the laugh track. This happens when one is not laughing himself. and 2) Even the people doing the laugh track were unable to identify what was supposed to be a comedy line and what was a set up. In the gym, when Howard reaches the end of the measuring tape and looks at the distance, he says "No way that's sixty feet." Bernadette looks at the tape and replies "That's what it says." And the laugh track gets a bang out of that.

The which is the better couple business went nowhere, and as some have already pointed out, just ended abruptly and was never again referenced.

They have come staggering out of the gate here for the 8th season. It has that "going through the motions" feel, the creative fires are no longer burning as brightly among the writers and performers.

BTW... I was joking about the show adding more commercials in order to pay the bloated cast salaries, but you know what? It turns out to be true. In previous seasons the program content ran 20:32 with the rest going to ads. This season the program content is down to 19:32, they have indeed added a full minute of advertising.
Geesh. When did a TV sitcom get this deep? Watch, laugh, don't laugh, move on.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You appear to have the same problem with my comments as I have with the show this season. Consequently I reference you to your own advice.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:21 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,078,038 times
I missed the last episode. My dog was sick. From the comments it sounds like I didn't miss much.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:34 AM

1,492 posts, read 1,619,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I think this is the correct place for those interested in commenting on such questions and concerns about BBT to post such information. If someone is not interested in seeing these types of questions about BBT, why did not go into this thread?

Anyway, I share the general concern about this season. The episodes seem more serious and dramatic and do not have as many comedic moments. Howard using the Mars Rover to throw out the first pitch was cool, but the scene was too long and became lame. The same goes for the scene with Raj and Bernadette helping Howard with his pitching. Funny for a minute, but extended far too long.

Additionally, the dinner scene with Amy, Sheldon, Leonard and Penny arguing about the relationship quiz was never really funny, just sort of sad.

In past seasons, the writers were able to strike a brilliant balance between the providing enough drama to develop the characters while keeping the comedy fresh and interesting. For some reason, that balance seems off.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:03 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,850,821 times
Leonard,s on Letterman tomorrow night .

Old 10-02-2014, 02:43 PM

352 posts, read 324,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post

When you realize that just a decade ago a typical sitcom had a runtime of 22:10 and Cheers episodes were 24:56, it becomes even more obvious why today's sitcoms seem rushed and feel like they're over before they start. They're 20% shorter than what we grew up on.

The show itself is definitely showing signs of age and is getting stale. I still enjoy it, but it clearly is on a decline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV