Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 12:32 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,679,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Paris was actually in the Carl's Jr. ads.
The "burger" looked so good I must have missed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 04:24 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,531,596 times
It is quite weird to me also. That grin gives me the chills sometimes.

Old 07-13-2007, 03:52 PM

578 posts, read 2,530,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Els View Post
It never fails, no matter how they package him, or it, whatever it is, there's something creepy about the Burger King king. He has this perpetual plastic leer I find very unnerving. There's an ad where he awakens in bed with another man and all I could think of was Woltz waking-up with (parts of) Khartoum in The Godfather. Perhaps it's the sinister corporatism? The unblinking, benignly grinning glossiness of the head attached to a human body?

It's not like fast food mascots regularly bother me. Ronald McDonald, the Big Boy, Colonel Sanders, Wendy; I'm OK with them all. They seem friendly enough, I even have fond memories of a Mayor McCheese drinking glass I got once. But the king... he's one of the Four Horsemen in my book.
He is not only 'creepy' but he's got little delicate girl hands. That new one with the 'moustaches on everyone'...The only good part is the Bassett hound licking his chops with that handle-bar moustache. the BK-King just looks like an ******* with that silly dance. He is SO UNNECESSARY TOO. With all the great CGI, computer imaging, EFX etc. why is he wearing that RIDICULOUS plastic mask? OMG

Old 07-13-2007, 08:19 PM

9,424 posts, read 11,179,571 times
No doubt, BKK is one creepy dood.
Plus he dresses up like Elvis in his drug infested days and he generally looks like he should be on every police force's persons of interes list.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:38 PM

1,127 posts, read 5,011,227 times
He's creepy to the point that I kinda like it. Yeah, I know... I'm sick and twisted.

Old 07-15-2007, 12:38 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,054,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust07 View Post
<snip>...

On the other hand, I guess the annoying commercials are working as planned because I remember them...even though I don't want to!

Yup, the marketing agency that came up with this ad strategy should get a huge bonus from Burger King. They accomplished probably much more than they intended.

I'm sure this isn't the only message board in the world that this is being talked about. It's sticking in the head of everybody who sees those commercials and creepy as the king may be, everybody now has an indelible image burned in their heads of his hideous smirk, oversized head, feminine limbs, etc. and will never forget Burger King because of that image whether they want to or not.

Mission accomplished.

Old 07-15-2007, 02:37 AM

160 posts, read 631,532 times
Okay - he may be freaky . . . . but did anyone ever cath the BK ad "Eat Like A Snake" ?!?!?! Now that one freaked me out!

Old 07-15-2007, 05:23 AM

52 posts, read 461,722 times
Default All About the Money

Well, of course you know that BK's ad agency did numerous marketing tests on their beloved target demographic (males age 18-35) to see if the icky BK King mask was creepy and disturbing enough to warrant what the advertising industry calls "edgy and surreal". Please. Ads that lack wit, intelligence, and real creativity are bad enough, but what's with the obvious "other" overtones of this ad campaign.

In other words, DUH. It's no accident that we're all creeped out by what appears to be a smallish female in a costume with a giant male head, waking up in bed with some dork (who happens to be in the target 18-35 male demographic) who's I.Q.-challenged enough that he's more interested in a soggy imitation of an Egg McMuffin than that he's in bed with a non-gender-specific stranger in a costume. Unless he went to bed with this person the night before??? Ack. Who knows. Wouldn't it be more funny if the person the King wakes up with and hands the coronary-mcmuffin to was a middle-aged woman who sprayed him with pepper spray, or a frightened nine year old? Not so funny now, is it. But those two persons aren't in the target group. Sorry, it's only those 18-35 males who are specifically being marketed for this campaign. Crispin Porter + Bogusky, the FL-based company that came up with "the King" ads have various kewl explanations for how they came up with this campaign for the kewl and clueless, but at root they're banking on this audience buying the campaign and the product, and that it will make the rest of us uncomfortable enough to think about it for more than 30 seconds, talk about it, and post comments about it! Mission accomplished! Give that ad-exec another $100K bonus! And by golly, CP+B must be rubbing their hands with glee, because 18-35 males are embracing (yes, pun intended) "the King" commercials. Like P.T Barnum said...

BK is up to some other advertising tricks too, as discussed in the ever-onto-it Slate Magazine in two articles: [url="www.slate.com/id/2107697"] and [url="http://www.slate.com/id.2128569/"]. Enjoy.

Old 07-15-2007, 08:32 PM

38,909 posts, read 22,906,011 times
Thumbs up Nice side dishes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
Yes, the main dish here is creepy. Side dishes not too bad, though.

Moderator cut: image removed
Yep, that BK King is creepy with that frozen, plastic expression on his face, but those two ladies with him are pretty hot!

Last edited by Yac; 01-10-2014 at 01:46 AM..

Old 07-16-2007, 07:26 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,092,745 times
http://media.arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.media/where%20is%20your%20god%20now.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV