Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 01:50 PM

300 posts, read 238,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
This is what happens when 300,000+ people flood a medium sized city that was already suffering from a severe housing crisis before the Maria refugees even showed up.

These people need to either go back to Puerto Rico, or go someplace else on the mainland. There's a whole big mainland out there. If they are so dead set on living in Florida why not take a look at the Miami, Tampa, or Jacksonville areas?

Please, come to Orlando, and then tell me that there is a severe housing crisis. They are building everywhere.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Exactly. Mexicans for example, come here and find work. They work long hours, many days, through any kind of weather just to support their families. Puerto Ricans on the other hand are very government dependent, whether its in PR or USA.
You are from Santo Domingo.I am Puerto Rican. BORN in Puerto Rico, RAISED in New York City, and I have never sought out a penny from the government.......even when in need. So your rendition stating that PUERTO RICANS are "very government dependent," is including ALL. And I resent that.

Old 01-27-2018, 02:30 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,664,339 times
[quote=SuperMario;50833840]Exactly. Mexicans for example, come here and find work. They work long hours, many days, through any kind of weather just to support their families. QUOTE]

LOL Spoken like someone who hasn't set foot within 70 miles of the border from Juarez to Matamoros, let alone the entire Rio Grande Valley. And I say that as a Puerto Rican minority living and bearing witness to that mesoamerican culture you speak so highly of. Welfare behavior is not ethnic in nature, enough of that logical fallacy. Veiled bigotry in lieu of literal racial slurs, for the sake of bypassing the mods' attention imo.

Last edited by Sunscape; 02-14-2018 at 10:06 AM..

Old 01-28-2018, 12:21 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasmineBasmati View Post
You are from Santo Domingo.I am Puerto Rican. BORN in Puerto Rico, RAISED in New York City, and I have never sought out a penny from the government.......even when in need. So your rendition stating that PUERTO RICANS are "very government dependent," is including ALL. And I resent that.
What does it matter that I'm from Santo Domingo? There are Dominicans in NYC that are citizens that are also very government dependent. It just so happens that a very large portion of Puerto Ricans in PR and NYC are on some sort of government assistance. I see it everyday. The basic point is that citizenship whether African American, Puerto Rican, Dominican, White etc allows people a CRUTCH to not work. These people know how to work the system, and unfortunately, Puerto Ricans ( who are all born citizens) are an example of this.

Mexicans on the other hand (who do not have their citizenship) cannot rely on the government to send them their weekly food stamp checks, or pay their rent, or provide them medical coverage etc. They come here and work hard. Busting their butt.

Trust me. I was in Homestead FL in the summer, and in those hot produce fields all I saw where shirtless Mexicans, sweating bullets, skin tanned to a dark brown, working the field owned by a white Cuban.

A Puerto Rican would NEVER do that.

Old 01-28-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLoudmouth View Post
IKR? You could almost say, based that statement, and I'm not saying it--that Jasmine has a problem with Dominicans. But I refuse to to there.
What make you think, MissLoudmouth, that I have a problem with Dominicans? What I have is a problem with your thinly-veiled racism toward Puerto Ricans.

Old 01-30-2018, 11:03 AM

94 posts, read 65,393 times
More bad news from New York. This is going to become a crisis as unskilled, unprepared people move to CONUS.

Many Puerto Ricans adrift in U.S. hotels after Hurricane Maria - Orlando Sentinel

Last edited by MissLoudmouth; 01-30-2018 at 11:45 AM..

Old 01-30-2018, 12:47 PM

272 posts, read 184,333 times
3 Months is enough time to plan the next move..

Old 01-31-2018, 08:36 AM

376 posts, read 500,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muevelos View Post
3 Months is enough time to plan the next move..
Absolutely agree. They are in hotels, these are not places you can just live at indefinitely. Unfortunately people get complacent.

Honestly sounds like PR was a ****hole in the first place rife with corruption or just horrible mismanagement. I dont blame them for not wanting to go back to the same old ****ty life but they knew the free ride would end at some point. But what luck, they are citizens so they can literally get a job anywhere on the main land and move (I would do this).

70% have power back and if your home has power you should go back, exceptions should be made for those without power still but that's it.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:02 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggar View Post
Absolutely agree. They are in hotels, these are not places you can just live at indefinitely. Unfortunately people get complacent.

Honestly sounds like PR was a ****hole in the first place rife with corruption or just horrible mismanagement. I dont blame them for not wanting to go back to the same old ****ty life but they knew the free ride would end at some point. But what luck, they are citizens so they can literally get a job anywhere on the main land and move (I would do this).

70% have power back and if your home has power you should go back, exceptions should be made for those without power still but that's it.
That's my whole point, they can go ANYWHERE. They have an entire nation. Yet they all go to the same medium sized city in Florida surrounded by swamps that can't be built on

If 300,000 people from Nebraska moved to New York City we'd have the same troubles.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:48 AM

94 posts, read 65,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
That's my whole point, they can go ANYWHERE. They have an entire nation. Yet they all go to the same medium sized city in Florida surrounded by swamps that can't be built on
I agree with you but...

I posted a link about opportunities in South Dakota for them. Instead of people here thanking me for that link, I was told here by one poster that it was too cold for them there in South Dakota and they had to be in Florida. And another poster said everything is hunky dory in Florida because they are putting up lots of new buildings and they should all go there.

Last edited by MissLoudmouth; 01-31-2018 at 12:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories