Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2020, 05:32 PM

290 posts, read 183,486 times

Advertisements

Joe Tegal- Sorry to hear about your Hardship. You left out what state you are claiming, the reason you put for seperation as well. I will sum it up for you. You need to call your unemployment office from 8 am to 5 pm, this is your new job til you get ahold of someone. In the meantime, get your states unemployment email and send one explaining your situation. Make sure you put, that you loved your job and that you always worked to the best of your ability. Mention that COVID19 caused your most recent work stoppage. I emailed my UC center, and I got funds in 2 weeks. Actually today to be exact.

Did you get a financial determination in the mail yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2020, 06:25 PM

5 posts, read 8,044 times
Sorry I am from IL and I have called and spoke with ides. Many times. I have called state representative I have called my congressman. I mean I am doing all I know. Everyday I call to try and speak to anyone that will hear me. No I have not got my letter just yet but I know it's not good I called today and she said claim pay is being held do to interview. When I had my interview I told the lady she was super nice and everything and said she could make a decision right then and that she can't say what it is but to watch my bank account for a deposit by Tuesday at noon well I did and nothing so I called and called. Told they mailed my letter the 27th and if I am eligible I'll get my money. Lol lol then she went in to telling me how to appeal my my claim ... I ain't stupid

Old 04-29-2020, 06:31 PM

290 posts, read 183,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joetegel-112688 View Post
Sorry I am from IL and I have called and spoke with ides. Many times. I have called state representative I have called my congressman. I mean I am doing all I know. Everyday I call to try and speak to anyone that will hear me. No I have not got my letter just yet but I know it's not good I called today and she said claim pay is being held do to interview. When I had my interview I told the lady she was super nice and everything and said she could make a decision right then and that she can't say what it is but to watch my bank account for a deposit by Tuesday at noon well I did and nothing so I called and called. Told they mailed my letter the 27th and if I am eligible I'll get my money. Lol lol then she went in to telling me how to appeal my my claim ... I ain't stupid
I would also email them. Make sure you put what I said in the email. Write your full name, social security, and the reason for seperation at the top, and your last day of work.

Did you have steady employment for the last 18 months? If not, you may not be financially eligible. Which is where the financial determination comes into play. When was your last day of work at your most recent job?

Old 04-29-2020, 07:16 PM

957 posts, read 537,504 times
[quote=joetegel-112688;57981213]
Quote:
Hey guys just wanted to post and see what anyone else thinks about this determination I received from unemployment. First let's start by letting you guys know I am a single dad of four children youngest being 3 and oldest being 11. Ok let's keep this in mind ok. I started a job with a employer great right happy good pay great shift loved the people I worked with great right. Ok here is where it goes wrong I start this new job was placed on day shift because again I said keep in mind I am a single dad of four ok. I was placed on days because I let them know other shifts just would be to hard with my children.paying for a daycare is Godly to much. Even with the little bit of state help they gave to me.anyways of topic sorry. So I am on days two weeks later they Come to me say I have to go to 2nds. I expressed to them once again I took the job offer with being told I would have day shift no problems. My boss said yes he was sorry the company was slowing down and had to move people around it's that or be let go. I asked if he would work with me to find someone to help with my kids in The evening he said yes he would work with me. Ok great right well the first week was super hard to find someone that would come take care of my kids from 2 to 11well more 1230 because it was a hour drive to work for me. So I had to miss 2 days of work. Boss said it was fine he knew I was going to have some trouble and understood. Ok. I get it all fixed kids are being taken care of job is ok and I ain't paying all my check to a sitter. Life is ok. Well a month goes by and here my boss comes again. Hey I'm sorry to do this but you have to go to Midnight's. Ok so back to where I was going to 2nds. Like I said I loved my job and the people and my boss for that matter. He said look it's only temporary tell the plant picks back up. Then he will take me back to day shift. He told me he understands I need time to get my kids taken care of with this move to Midnight's because it is alot harder to find someone to keep four kids every night and get them off to school in the mornings. Ok well I say ok it the agreement of him working and knowing i would need sometime to get them fix up. Ok well the first 3 days it took me some time to get it worked out I didn't miss work I showed up 30 min late 2x with a call in a hour before each time I was going to be late do to not being able to leave my kids home alone. And the 3rd day I had to miss because my 3 year old had a fever of 103 and pink eye and I needed to take him to doctor. Well they let me go do to points. Ok what ever I understand there is a point system everyone has a family and a life I get it.

Even though I was told I would be worked with because of the jumping shifts like that. I took it and went out like a dad of four would do and found a new job. Asap I didn't claim or try to claim unemployment at all over all that. Ok I took it like a man and moved on ok. I start my new job it's midnight shift because I had already had my kids taken care of right anyways well covid19 hit. Two weeks later I get furloughed out . Place or business shuts down because of the stay at home order. Ok well my boss said go to unemployment and start claim ok because of this reason. Ok fine should have no problems with claim right WRONG Ides said I am not eligible for unemployment because I was fired from my last employer do to points. How in the world can I be denied unemployment when it states you can claim if you are unemployed at no fault of your own RIGHT. then it also states if you are effected by covid19 and your place of employment has closed you will be eligible under the new law cares act. So my ? Is how in the world can they say I am ineligible for my claims when being unemployed has NOTHING TO DO WITH ME.

I want to go to work but I can't because they keep us locked down and my kids out of school. I have four baby's I have to provide for. I need this help because they took my way of life away from me for my kids. My electric bill don't stop my water bill don't stop. My rent don't stop.my kids needing food and clothes and tooth paste and shampoo and t.p RIGHT my car is about to be taken from me because I can't pay it the way I take my kids to school the doctor the store to get food.

I WILL LOSE EVERYTHING OVER THIS AND THERE AINT ANYTHING ELSE I CAN DO BECAUSE OF THIS. People say get a job at McDonald's or Walmart ok sure I will but tell me the little they do pay will pay my babysitter to keep them while I work. And my bills still go off. HOW CAN THEY DO THIS TO SOMEONE HOW CAN THEY DO THIS TO MY KIDS.

If it was just me fine I'll go without but there baby's and they look to me to care for them to provide to keep them safe and I just don't understand by my job closing do to covid19 and no fault of mine my family loses everything I worked so hard for. Anyways please tell me what you think or if you have any ideas to help.please please stay safe and healthy. God bless you and your loved ones in this time â¤ï¸â£ï¸â£ï¸
Ok.. thats alot to read.
First of all... what state are you in?

Secondly... you CAN ask for a hearing about the denial and then you go to like a trial (lately its on the phone)

Thirdly.... dont panic

Kind Regards
Kacey

Old 04-29-2020, 07:18 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,806,781 times
Check here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/unem...l#post57980491

This exact same scenario is posted there.

Old 04-29-2020, 07:50 PM

5 posts, read 8,044 times
State is Illinois and I know I can but it don't stop my bills and other stuff from happening. And how long will it take for them to get all this done. I mean your on a wait line for hours to just be told nothing at all. And sorry for the repost I'm just trying to get answers

Old 04-30-2020, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickquesti0n View Post
So I filed partial unemployment and now I face the risk of being laid off entirely. How do I update my claim
my thought is that you cant do anything until you are already laid off. Once you are... then when you do your weekly claim, you just put that you worked zero hours and made zero money.

Old 04-30-2020, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Check here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/unem...l#post57980491

This exact same scenario is posted there.
???? it brings me back to this exact same post....

Old 04-30-2020, 08:04 AM

Quote:
State is Illinois and I know I can but it don't stop my bills and other stuff from happening. And how long will it take for them to get all this done. I mean your on a wait line for hours to just be told nothing at all. And sorry for the repost I'm just trying to get answers
joetegel
Unfortunately, Ive discovered that in the UI world NOTHING goes quickly (my son is now on his 6th month of denials, hearings, denial, hearings.... and he has had NO money in all that time)

I completely understand the panic re $ and being a single parent (I was a single parent of 3 - with no child support income, nor alimony income) - I worked a trillion hours just to make bills.. never mind anything extra.
There were times when I had to be on food stamps, and there were times when I was selling things on ebay to get something extra.

Instead of focusing on WHEN/HOW to get UI... start looking at what kinds of jobs are around that you CAN do...
Can you do ubereats? Doordash? Can you take any of the kids with you? Can you do Amazon delivery? What about odd jobs/handyman/mow lawns... and take the kids with you to 'help' ?

Any babysitting assistance you have... maximize your money making during those hours.. and use the time you have the kids to do the UI calling etc.

Apply for foodstamps. Apply for daycare assistance (with a private sitter... in Oregon at least, the state would pay for a sitter... it wasnt alot and there werent alot of places who would take what the state paid.. BUT my thought is at the moment more people might, given the economy).

Go on the UI website... here in oregon they have a thing called 'imatch' which has pages and pages of jobs... scour them.

Did you get your stimulus check yet? You should have gotten $3200 (1200 for you and 500 for each of the kids)

I know its difficult to see the forest for the trees... but hang in there...

Your PRIORITY is on MAKING money - and THEN use any 'down time' to chase down UI.

As for UI... call/hang up/redial (if its busy) and just keep doing that until you get a line. (it took me an hour). Once you have a line... stay on it.. no matter how long the hold time is (mine was 22 minutes). Then when you speak with someone - do NOT tell them the circumstances...(as in.. not all the nitty gritty details) just say that you were laid off... and need unemployment. They dont care if you have 4 kids (well personally they might care... but in their jobs to screen for UI, its immaterial)...

You have to remember that EVERYTHING you tell UI, is 'information for which to deny you UI'. (their job is to find a reason to deny you... dont give them anything they can use against you).

They are NOT your friend!!

My thought is that IF they ask why you were laid off.. you tell the truth... that due to the coronavirus, and your kids being out of daycare, and you being the only parent, you couldnt work. Dont elaborate.

You might get denied, if your ex employer makes a stink - and then you appeal it.

Just so you know, Im far from an expert.. and these thoughts are just my thoughts on how ID handle it if it were me.

Kind Regards
Kacey

Old 04-30-2020, 02:31 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
Quote:
My electric bill don't stop my water bill don't stop. My rent don't stop.my kids needing food and clothes and tooth paste and shampoo and t.p RIGHT my car is about to be taken from me because I can't pay it the way I take my kids to school the doctor the store to get food. I WILL LOSE EVERYTHING OVER THIS AND THERE AINT ANYTHING ELSE I CAN DO BECAUSE OF THIS.
While you work on the unemployment issue, I'd also contact utilities/landlord/car lender and request deferment. In many areas evictions, utility shutoffs, repossessions, etc. have been disallowed due to the crisis, so lenders and providers are pretty eager to work with people to make it more likely that they'll get their money, even if you don't have it currently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment