Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 08:38 PM

379 posts, read 1,401,475 times

Advertisements

To answer the original question about the thread....

I suppose that what people do depends in the situation that people are currently in. I have an aunt who has been unemployed for over two years now. She's in her late 50's and has been applying for work left and right with no success. In the midst of looking for ANY type of employment that she would be able to do, her benefits ran out as well. Fortunately her husband is still working but their lifestyles have most certainly tightened up as their income has been cut in half. She will probably have to take some sort of early retirement.

A close friend of mine is in his early 30's and was laid off last year from a job he had a community college. It took him a while to get UI started because he answered one of the questions on the claim form wrong and they had to interview him by phone but he wasn't given an interview until six weeks or so after the notice. Anyway, after getting all of that sorted out and he started receiving benefits regularly, more than a year later he's currently on tier 2 or 3 of his current claim. He's really unsure of what he'll do once his extensions run out. At the moment he is living in a house that his parents mortgaged with the intent of selling it in the future. He along with his two roommates pay rent, which is used to pay the mortgage. He is not picky about finding ANY job as long as the job can pay a livable wage but I'm going to assume that if worse comes to worse, he'll be forced to take anything.

As for me, I might have to make my new place of residence in a tent on the steps of capitol hill.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:13 PM

5 posts, read 8,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
They get jobs.
And where are these mythical jobs you speak of? Let's do a little math lesson, shall we? There is one job for every five unemployed Americans at this time. That means that there is NO job for four of them. The idea that there is a job for everyone is a complete fallacy at this point.

I'm sick of people who pass judgment on the unemployed in such a way. I think you'd be singing a different tune if you'd applied for over two hundred jobs, including McD's, Wal-mart, K-mart, and NO ONE was willing to hire you. Welcome to my life.

As for the OP's question:

I never qualified for unemployment benefits. I have swallowed my pride and moved in with my parents at the age of 30. I have lost everything that I've worked to build. I have less than $20 to my name. If it wasn't for my parents, I'd quite literally be starving in the streets.

Don't get too comfy in your life. What has happened to me, what has happened to the 99ers, could happen to any one of you reading this.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:46 PM

379 posts, read 1,401,475 times
DELETED
Quote:
Originally Posted by shosannareiss View Post
As for the OP's question:

I never qualified for unemployment benefits. I have swallowed my pride and moved in with my parents at the age of 30. I have lost everything that I've worked to build. I have less than $20 to my name. If it wasn't for my parents, I'd quite literally be starving in the streets.

Don't get too comfy in your life. What has happened to me, what has happened to the 99ers, could happen to any one of you reading this.

Wow, I really feel for you and my heart truly goes out to you pal. You're not alone about having to swallow your pride and move back in with mom and dad. But to not qualify for UI is the real kicker here. If I may ask, why did you not qualify to receive benefits?

Last edited by JMT; 11-27-2010 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: Political smack belongs in the Politics forum.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:27 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
It probably depends a whole lot on the person and the choices they have.

Some unemployed have a working spouse, so they would have to learn to cut back and live on one income. Some have parents or other family members they can move in with, such as their own adult children. Some would pack a few things and head to some other place.

If they have kids, they may decide to go for welfare. If they're close to retirement age and have any savings, they may just live off that until they can retire. Maybe they didn't want to retire early but now face that as an option.

Some will give up waiting for their old jobs to open back up and take a job they didn't want. Some have all kinds of skills they can use to bring in money - small engine repair, handyman - or day care, carpet cleaning, landscaping.

Some unemployed already lost a house, some would lose their house if they don't get the checks, others own a house and just have to come up with the money for taxes.

So - some will just go on - those with working spouses or close to retirement age will just adjust. And some will find work of some kind, odd jobs. But some have really few options.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:36 AM

516 posts, read 1,350,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrollinglow View Post
As negative as that may sound, it unfortunately is a harsh reality for I'm sure many people who are finding themselves with nothing else to lose. I have friends who are unemployed and have seriously contemplated ending their lives because it seems that there is nothing left to live for and that the harsh situation we're in will not get any better. And I am also sure that there are people who post on this forum who have also thought about doing exactly the same thing.
That thought has crossed my mind many, many times.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:43 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyEF View Post
That thought has crossed my mind many, many times.
Why just waste a life? Why encourage that? Why not throw out the globalist politicians, those owned by the globalist corporations, demand a repeal of the trade deals that have harmed so many Americans? Demand that jobs be returned to the USA.

Demanding government handouts won't get that many people sympathetic to your cause but demanding jobs would. Also work to get people aware of that the politicians are doing to this country with their pro-globalist, open borders agenda. The jobs didn't end, they left the country.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:11 AM

2,210 posts, read 7,027,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
"menial jobs" do not support people.
Millions of people support themselves and their families on "menial jobs" and they work very hard doing it. They deserve more respect than being viewed as below standard or apart from the rest of society.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:27 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
I recommend everyone in this situation watch "Cinderella Man" and then go do whatever is required to get on with their lives. It will never again be the way it was, but life must go on.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:35 AM

126 posts, read 467,671 times
Watch a movie, good advice....

Old 11-27-2010, 05:49 AM

516 posts, read 1,350,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Why just waste a life? Why encourage that? Why not throw out the globalist politicians, those owned by the globalist corporations, demand a repeal of the trade deals that have harmed so many Americans? Demand that jobs be returned to the USA.

Demanding government handouts won't get that many people sympathetic to your cause but demanding jobs would. Also work to get people aware of that the politicians are doing to this country with their pro-globalist, open borders agenda. The jobs didn't end, they left the country.
Yes, true!! I'm just saying being unemployed that long and not finding anything caused a lot of damage ie., almost losing my home, marriage of 19 years over and of course the financial situation. A couple of years ago I was diagnosed with severe depression and panic disorder because of the lay-off. I was devastated. The doctors put me on meds that just made it worse!!!! I quickly stopped taking those meds and bounced back.

I did find a job back in April that pays half of what I used to make and I just started a part-time job at night and on the weekends. I'm trying so hard just to fill that financial void. It's been getting a lot better now and around this time last year I would never have thought that I would be employed with a full time job and a part time job.

I'm still searching for a better paying full time job everyday. So, I've turned the page and moving on in a positive way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment