Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 06:21 AM

5,546 posts, read 10,001,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Why just waste a life? Why encourage that? Why not throw out the globalist politicians, those owned by the globalist corporations, demand a repeal of the trade deals that have harmed so many Americans? Demand that jobs be returned to the USA.

Demanding government handouts won't get that many people sympathetic to your cause but demanding jobs would. Also work to get people aware of that the politicians are doing to this country with their pro-globalist, open borders agenda. The jobs didn't end, they left the country.
Just how does one force this?

Old 11-27-2010, 06:30 AM

362 posts, read 774,935 times
I"ve heard some people are moving in with their friends, due to all of them losing their jobs, and they support one another. Other than that. Some folks don't know how to go back to the basics, and there are jobs out there, but would they want to take them? Some won't take them and those over 50 only last for so long before their stubborn selves decided to quit.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:32 AM

I don't know what "most" people do but if they are lucky enough to have friends or family to move in with, that is always a good thing.

The only person I know of (through an online forum) took his life. He was 60 and was told he was too old to work at Micky D's or Wendy's. He was living in a van and no room at the shelter and no money and kept writing congress and simply couldn't go on.

It's a sad, sad story. I worry about the "what-ifs" constantly and am always trying to figure out what I'll do to get by until life ends. What a way to live and I sure never thought I'd be at this point in my life ever.

Having said that, I have a few things going for me but it's still a constant source of worry.

I wonder if I should move to another state (I need a state with a high risk pool for medical insurance), if I should stay put as the roof over my head is paid for (in spite of the fact I loathe living here and it's never been good for me), do an online master's degree and hope for a job after it's done, go on Match.com and try to find some man who will want to marry me and I can stop worrying about being alone, etc.

I have no children (hence no one to ever move in with) and my one remaining parent is in Assisted Living so no options there.

And, unfortunately, I think too much damage has been done to this country and its economy to count on ANY government anything to get us out of it. I think a lot of people will end up in tent cities and just form communities and try to get by. Welcome to 3rd world living American style.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrollinglow View Post
To answer the original question about the thread....

I suppose that what people do depends in the situation that people are currently in. I have an aunt who has been unemployed for over two years now. She's in her late 50's and has been applying for work left and right with no success. In the midst of looking for ANY type of employment that she would be able to do, her benefits ran out as well. Fortunately her husband is still working but their lifestyles have most certainly tightened up as their income has been cut in half. She will probably have to take some sort of early retirement.

A close friend of mine is in his early 30's and was laid off last year from a job he had a community college. It took him a while to get UI started because he answered one of the questions on the claim form wrong and they had to interview him by phone but he wasn't given an interview until six weeks or so after the notice. Anyway, after getting all of that sorted out and he started receiving benefits regularly, more than a year later he's currently on tier 2 or 3 of his current claim. He's really unsure of what he'll do once his extensions run out. At the moment he is living in a house that his parents mortgaged with the intent of selling it in the future. He along with his two roommates pay rent, which is used to pay the mortgage. He is not picky about finding ANY job as long as the job can pay a livable wage but I'm going to assume that if worse comes to worse, he'll be forced to take anything.

As for me, I might have to make my new place of residence in a tent on the steps of capitol hill.

that's the problem with unemployment benefits, they stop after you get ANY type of job, no matter how much min-wage you get, so you end up losing either way.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPC2000 View Post
I"ve heard some people are moving in with their friends, due to all of them losing their jobs, and they support one another. Other than that. Some folks don't know how to go back to the basics, and there are jobs out there, but would they want to take them? Some won't take them and those over 50 only last for so long before their stubborn selves decided to quit.
What a slap in the face to those over 50, and I just happen to be one of them. I presume you are either a 20 something or 30 something that was handed things by the very age people you would disparage right now. I know all of my neices and nephews (20/30 ages) were just handed things by their boomer parents who are the ones who seem to be hurting right now.

And I hate to say it, but physically there are some things I cannot do that I used to be able to do when I was very young (like stand on my feet for hours). I imagine others over 50 have other limitations.

Oh, and this situation is enough to drive some people over the edge and I don't mean just ending it all. I know there are good and bad coping strategies for dealing with all this stress and I admit to the bad ones. Why? Because half of me realizes I will never make it to old age (so why not hasten the process?) nor do I want to end up in some govt funded crappy old people's facility.

If you ask me, the people who were lucky were born after the Great Depression and were able to benefit from all the years of jobs available at decent wages and are now on Medicare and have some money socked away with their houses paid for.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:42 AM

Quote:
According to John Boehner and his repugnant buddies up at the hill, they have this master plan that will provide jobs for everyone once their in power. Their plan is for the wealthy to become even wealthier and that wealth will trickle down to the rest of us. Nothing really mythical about it, just simple economics.

Wow, I really feel for you and my heart truly goes out to you pal. You're not alone about having to swallow your pride and move back in with mom and dad. But to not qualify for UI is the real kicker here. If I may ask, why did you not qualify to receive benefits?

see that's the thing, too many young folks get too comfortable too early. They should've started to save as soon as they got a job in order to atleast last a year without working. I believe it's called creating a cushion to fall back on when you get laid off. We are so busy trying to keep up with the jones' that we forget to save money. The Chinese I believe save up to 15% of their gross income or net income or so, why do we save less than 3% of our own, and we make more per capita, don't we?

Old 11-27-2010, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPC2000 View Post
see that's the thing, too many young folks get too comfortable too early. They should've started to save as soon as they got a job in order to atleast last a year without working. I believe it's called creating a cushion to fall back on when you get laid off. We are so busy trying to keep up with the jones' that we forget to save money. The Chinese I believe save up to 15% of their gross income or net income or so, why do we save less than 3% of our own, and we make more per capita, don't we?
Being able to last a year without working as a cushion is not enough for anyone at any age. You do read posts about the people who have been without work for two, three or more years, right?

Old 11-27-2010, 06:49 AM

Quote:
As negative as that may sound, it unfortunately is a harsh reality for I'm sure many people who are finding themselves with nothing else to lose. I have friends who are unemployed and have seriously contemplated ending their lives because it seems that there is nothing left to live for and that the harsh situation we're in will not get any better. And I am also sure that there are people who post on this forum who have also thought about doing exactly the same thing.
Wouldn't that be a bit selfish on their part? I mean come on, with all the food pantries out and shelters, and god knows how many other compassionate charities there are out, you would seriously think about taking your life?

Old 11-27-2010, 06:50 AM

470 posts, read 1,036,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
What a slap in the face to those over 50, and I just happen to be one of them. I presume you are either a 20 something or 30 something that was handed things by the very age people you would disparage right now. I know all of my neices and nephews (20/30 ages) were just handed things by their boomer parents who are the ones who seem to be hurting right now.

And I hate to say it, but physically there are some things I cannot do that I used to be able to do when I was very young (like stand on my feet for hours). I imagine others over 50 have other limitations.
I would say that people over 50 have had their careers handed to them up until this recession. I'm under 30 and not doing horrible but I'm not where I would like to be either. If you noticed elsewhere on this forum I'm a pitbull when I see disparaging remarks towards people in the 18 to 30 age made by people from the ME Generation that started careers in a world with endless opportunities in the 60's and 70's. That world was built by the hard sacrifices of the Boomer's own parents in WWII.

The poster was simply stating that there are some crappy jobs available in certain areas that a lot of your 50 plus year olds wouldn't do for very long. They would show up and want special accomodations made to them and then probably talk back to their younger supervisor instead of bucking up and just doing their job. Now I am also aware that there are not even crappy jobs available out there in certain places and that not all Boomers would have the selfish "ME ME ME ME" entitlement that they are so known for. If you look at the stats of this recession it's the 18 to 30 year olds and 18 to 24 year old veterans that are getting the **** end of the stick in this economic downturn. The 45 to 65 year old Boomers that feel they are being discriminated against are a minority.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokanejobseeker View Post
I would say that people over 50 have had their careers handed to them up until this recession. I'm under 30 and not doing horrible but I'm not where I would like to be either. If you noticed elsewhere on this forum I'm a pitbull when I see disparaging remarks towards people in the 18 to 30 age made by people from the ME Generation that started careers in a world with endless opportunities in the 60's and 70's. That world was built by the hard sacrifices of the Boomer's own parents in WWII.

The poster was simply stating that there are some crappy jobs available in certain areas that a lot of your 50 plus year olds wouldn't do for very long. They would show up and want special accomodations made to them and then probably talk back to their younger supervisor instead of bucking up and just doing their job. Now I am also aware that there are not even crappy jobs available out there in certain places and that not all Boomers would have the selfish "ME ME ME ME" entitlement that they are so known for. If you look at the stats of this recession it's the 18 to 30 year olds and 18 to 24 year old veterans that are getting the **** end of the stick in this economic downturn. The 45 to 65 year old Boomers that feel they are being discriminated against are a minority.
And if you'll notice, boomers did not have things handed to them either. I started working at age 14 and never had anything handed to me. I wore second hand clothes to school which made me feel horrible. One thing that those of the Great Depression era parents often did was to instill a sense of work ethic in their kids and a fear of ever being in that position.

Many 45 to 65 worked for advanced degrees (like me), learned Spanish (like me) and tried to the best of their ability to be responsible and maintain good credit (like me) and decided to forego the vacations, fancy cars, IPods, etc. (like me). I hardly would call myself of the ME ME ME mentality.

Furthermore, realizing that I am blessed in certain regards I give back to the community twice weekly via volunteering. How many 18 to 30 unemployed people do that? I see zero where I volunteer.

And just MAYBE the reason for the higher rates of unemployment in certain age ranges has to do with either no education or limited education, not that it matters all that much anymore.

Oh, and if there is one thing I would ask of your generation please? Stop thinking you know it all. I worked for a 27 year old that used to tell me I had to "manage" my time better, even though what this really meant was be willing to work 12 hour days with no overtime. Ok, I would have been willing to do that had the resources been made available to me, but I wasn't about to work until 8 p.m. downtown and walk to some dark parking lot to get the job done. So many youngsters think they know it all and that the wisdom acquired from just living longer on this planet isn't worth jack squat.

Last edited by mistygrl092; 11-27-2010 at 07:11 AM.. Reason: add thought
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment