Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 11:19 AM

6 posts, read 25,684 times

Advertisements

The news is full of stories about the millions of people who are exusting their unemployment benefits every month but from what I see their is never a story about what happens to most of them. Once the benefits end what happens next?

Are they homeless?

Do they move in with family/

Do most of them buckle down and finally accept a menial job?

Do they cash credit card conv checks to stay afloat?
-----

Do you know anyone who exusted all their benefits? What happened to them?

Old 11-23-2010, 12:11 PM

212 posts, read 689,371 times
I have a friend who exhausted all his unemployment and wound up having to apply for TANF and food stamps. He didn't qualify for much, but that coupled with what little savings he has are enough to keep him just barely afloat. He'll probably wind up moving back home with his parents if he doesn't find something soon, poor guy.

Edit: I should add that he's a single dad with two kids, so I believe that's what allowd him to qualify for TANF. I have no idea what people without children do in this scenario.

Last edited by Gallit; 11-23-2010 at 12:20 PM..

Old 11-23-2010, 04:10 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,370,058 times
I ran out of benenfits 4/10 so I guess your talking about me.

Of course I continue to apply apply apply but of course no job yet.

I've sold and am selling my family heirlooms for pennies on the dollar if I can even get anything for them...no ones buying right now.

I had a smidge of savings left so until last month I was able to pay my modest mortgage. I have a friend who's a lawyer helping me for free with fighting foreclosure. My case is different as the mortgage is only on the mobile home and not the land it sits on. There are no deeds of record and my MH is treated like a car/RV for titleing. At the first of Nov. we requested a document proving they could foreclose and have yet to get a legal copy, they send me a "made up one" without exhibit A listing the mortgages...so who knows...If they show up to haul off my home I will become homeless...I had requested they put my 15 year mortgage that I've paid 10 years on on hold until I get a job or it sells, the 10 acres it sits on is worth way more than I owe but of course they are being short sited. If we have not heard from them we will go to court the first of Dec. to keep them from damaging my property if they attempt to remove my MH...they'd have to tear down fencing, cut down trees and destroy my barn/shed in order to remove it and that is illegal.

I'm 60 single female with no children so the only benefit I get is $200 a month in food stamps that has kept me from staving.

Monday and tomorrow I will spend most of my day at two differnt churches trying to get help with my electric bill (I'm all elect).

I'm fortunate that I have one friend who's lent me some money that I will pay back when I sell my land, but she only has so much to give.

I would give anything to find a job, I HATE what I'm going through and at 60 I never expected to be in this position. I planned meticulously, no credit cards, I got a small inheritance and bought this land and put a modest 15 year mortgage on my MH that would have been paid off when I turned 65. I never made much money so I didn't have a lot of saving...

So in the end I will join the homeless soon. I do have my land for at least another couple of years...I didn't pay the property tax last year and I can't afford it this year either. So I'll be in a tent freezing my a$$ off soon.

I have no family so that's out.

and as the OP state will I "buckle down and take a menial job"...what a joke...I apply to everything I can physically do at 60 and have for months and months. Sigh...yahno that very simple math problem people have a problem with 5 people for every 1 job means 4 people with no job and so far I've not hit the job lottery for that 1 job.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:18 PM

8,052 posts, read 10,646,271 times
"menial jobs" do not support people.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:21 PM

118 posts, read 534,655 times
My mother exhausted her 99 weeks of unemployment benefits in May. She has been able to get food stamps and energy assistance since then, but what savings she still had after 2 years being unemployed didn't last long with her mortgage and other bills. I feel terrible that I can't help her more, but I'm on unemployment, too (and facing the possibility of my own benefits running out if congress doesn't act).

Despite the very real instability of her financial situation, it's the effect on her mental state that worries me the most. The stress and depression are really adding up in her it's almost like she's having a mental breakdown in slow motion. It's absolutely horrible.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:06 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,768,054 times
I would think when all hope is lost , they find a 10 story building and jump...

Sorry.. that sounded so negative....kind of a dark day today....

Old 11-23-2010, 08:15 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,037,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post

I'm having one too.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:17 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,846,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Lucky Story View Post
Do most of them buckle down and finally accept a menial job?

THIS ^^^ was unnecessary, don't you think? Perhaps you didn't mean it that way , but it comes across as yet another "oh they somehow find work when their benefits run out" post.

Just ftr, a job can't be accepted unless it's OFFERED.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:22 PM

379 posts, read 1,401,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post

As negative as that may sound, it unfortunately is a harsh reality for I'm sure many people who are finding themselves with nothing else to lose. I have friends who are unemployed and have seriously contemplated ending their lives because it seems that there is nothing left to live for and that the harsh situation we're in will not get any better. And I am also sure that there are people who post on this forum who have also thought about doing exactly the same thing.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:24 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,065,293 times
They get jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment