Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2012, 07:40 PM

51 posts, read 119,189 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to chime in on this possible re working of Tier IV. Funny thing happened to me last week i claimed my last week of Tier 3 week ending April 21. Got the letter from the MI Unemployment Insurance Agency awarding me the revised Tier IV. I check my account this morning and there is a payment from Tier IV for a week in my account for week ending April 28 which i didn't even certify for. So i check my balance on the unemployment site and it looks like they took a week from my Tier IV before i even started my first certification can they do this? And i am also wondering with all the talk of re working claims is this Michigan's way of not allowing claimants to have an opportunity to follow Ca's lead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 07:59 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maturerev View Post
Just wanted to chime in on this possible re working of Tier IV. Funny thing happened to me last week i claimed my last week of Tier 3 week ending April 21. Got the letter from the MI Unemployment Insurance Agency awarding me the revised Tier IV. I check my account this morning and there is a payment from Tier IV for a week in my account for week ending April 28 which i didn't even certify for. So i check my balance on the unemployment site and it looks like they took a week from my Tier IV before i even started my first certification can they do this? And i am also wondering with all the talk of re working claims is this Michigan's way of not allowing claimants to have an opportunity to follow Ca's lead?
Michigan's situation is completely different than California's.

You are going to receive 16 weeks Tier IV - no question. Michigan triggered off EB long ago on 2/18, prior to the 2/22 legislation. Anyone collecting Tier IV or potentially eligible for Tier IV in states already triggered off EB on 2/22 receives the 16 weeks, provided they exhaust Tier III no later than 5/26 and the 3-month average UE rate in that state is at least 8.5% at the time you become eligible for Tier IV. This money does not come from Michigan's coffers, so it should have no reason not to pay Tier IV as legislated.

Can't explain what happened to your one week of benefits - sounds like a bookkeeping thing. Keep track of your actual payments and remaining balance. It is early days yet. You will get your 16 weeks.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 05-08-2012 at 08:11 PM..

Old 05-08-2012, 08:22 PM

Can't explain what happened to your one week of benefits - sounds like a bookkeeping thing. Keep track of your actual payments and remaining balance. It is early days yet. You will get your 16 weeks.[/quote]

Yes..I certainly wasn't going to complain about the extra week . Guess it was just a little confusing because i dont receive maximum benefit payment allowed due to smaller earnings in my base period wages. So for me it has gone like this way thus far:

Intial state claim:14 weeks
Tier 1: 11.2 weeks
Tier 2: 7.2 weeks
Tier 3: 7 weeks then the mysterious 1 week add on
Tier IV revision: 8 weeks now down to 7 ?

Old 05-08-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMaggieC View Post
I'm glad that my state is at least trying to help a little, it's surprising that they are doing this.
Your state is still struggling mightily. I venture to say CA's creative workaround will probably help hundreds of thousands of people. CA is including anyone eligible for Tier IV back to 4/1 - in direct opposition to the BLS Directive which says only those with "new entitlement the week following" the trigger off.

CA is a huge state with a huge unemployment problem, which EDD well knows. There are over TWO MILLION UNEMPLOYED in California, alone. (versus NC with 426,000 unemployed, MI at 396,000, FL at 835,000)

California State Unemployment Rate and Total Unemployed | Department of Numbers

I've been waiting for the STHTF in CA. EDD wisely did a preemptive strike. I'll bet there were panicked calls to the DOL and Congress on the huge numbers about to fall off unemployment benefits. I'd bet the ranch CA got its own special waiver to the directive, so are only disclosing on a need-to-know basis - i.e., those who might be eligible. Thus, no announcement on its webpages, Facebook or Twitter. I checked them all today numerous times. Not a word.

I would love to have been a fly on the wall when CA triggered off EB. Someone has to get the backstory, here.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maturerev View Post
Tier 3: 7 weeks then the mysterious 1 week add on
Tier IV revision: 8 weeks now down to 7 ?
Tier 3 add-on is the extra week of Tier 2 which, in most states, is paid at the end of Tier 3.

Tier IV should be 62% of your original monetary determination. 8 weeks looks about right. Or, take 14 x WBA x 62% / WBA = no. of weeks. There might be an odd amount to be paid out at the end.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 05-08-2012 at 09:19 PM..

Old 05-08-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Tier 3 add-on is the extra week of Tier 2 which, in most states, is paid at the end of Tier 3.

Tier IV should be 62% of your original monetary determination. 8 weeks looks about right. Or, take 14 x WBA x 62% / WBA = no. of weeks. There might be an odd amount to paid out at the end.
I get the understanding of this now. Appreciate your insight as always thanks Ariadne.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:21 PM

98 posts, read 847,514 times
Quote:
Your state is still struggling mightily.

CA is a huge state with a huge unemployment problem, which EDD well knows. There are over TWO MILLION UNEMPLOYED in California, alone. (versus NC with 426,000 unemployed, MI at 396,000, FL at 835,000)

California State Unemployment Rate and Total Unemployed | Department of Numbers

I've been waiting for the STHTF in CA. EDD wisely did a preemptive strike. I'll bet there were panicked calls to the DOL and Congress on the huge numbers about to fall off unemployment benefits. I'd bet the ranch CA got its own special waiver to the directive, so are only disclosing on a need-to-know basis - i.e., those who might be eligible. Thus, no announcement on its webpages, Facebook or Twitter. I checked them all today numerous times. Not a word.

I would love to have been a fly on the wall when CA triggered off EB. Someone has to get the backstory, here.
So true...I asked a question in another thread about mandatory reemployment services (which you kindly answered) and in my search for info that night, I came across this memo:

http://www.edd.ca.gov/jobs_and_train.../wsin11-53.pdf

about how notification for these services has to already be delayed for a month longer than planned. I can only imagine how much MORE crowded it will be with everything pushed back.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMaggieC View Post
So true...I asked a question in another thread about mandatory reemployment services (which you kindly answered) and in my search for info that night, I came across this memo:

http://www.edd.ca.gov/jobs_and_train.../wsin11-53.pdf

about how notification for these services has to already be delayed for a month longer than planned. I can only imagine how much MORE crowded it will be with everything pushed back.
Yes, indeed. California has its hands full. It may need to rent large venues for the group reemployment services meetings to reach those 600,000 people - which is the population of the largest city in Wisconsin.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:29 PM

878 posts, read 1,652,762 times
Quote:
Yes, indeed. California has its hands full. It may need to rent large venues for the group reemployment services meetings to reach those 600,000 people - which is the population of the largest city in Wisconsin.
It will be interesting to see what happens in 16 weeks when the unemployed in CA end Tier 4 and still don't have jobs.

If it were me I would do what I could to leave the state before the riots... the job market obviously is horrible... the exact reason I left Georgia last year. I didn't see a point in waiting around on unemployment to run out...

Old 05-09-2012, 01:08 AM

111 posts, read 419,896 times
Thanks to Baxter99 for posting the path to the page I had posted! sorry that I was away from the web all day, and did not realize that I had found that page by clicking through to contact edd...
Just wanted to say this forum is SUCH a valuable resource for us to be able to help one another during such a confusing time.

I would like to read more about the mandatory re-employment requirements, the link above does not seem to work.
what are the basics? and when are the requirements?

Last edited by Definca; 05-09-2012 at 01:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment