Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2012, 12:18 PM

26 posts, read 116,931 times

Advertisements

Thank you once again, Ariadne22, for your expertise and quick reply!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 10:40 PM

7 posts, read 26,346 times
I live in North Carolina. I completed my Tier 3 benefits on 5/5/12. My Tier 4 begins on 5/6/12. The following statement just seems so unfair!!! It would appear to me that I should wait one week before filing for week one of Tier 4 so that I can receive 16 instead of 6 weeks of Tier 4 benefits. Please read the following. Any help would be appreciated.

Emergency Unemployment Compensation:

Augmentation of EUC08 Tier 4 from 6 to 16 weeks.
Claimants in states that are triggered "on" to Tier 4 of the EUC08 program, but not triggered "on" to EB, may be eligible for augmentation of their Tier 4 entitlement from a maximum potential duration of 6 weeks to a maximum potential duration of 16 weeks. States currently affected by this provision are Arizona, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, Oregon, Puerto Rico, and South Carolina. States that will be eligible to provide for up to 16 weeks of Tier 4 benefits for new Tier 4 claimants starting May 13 are California, Florida, Illinois, and North Carolina.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:22 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,083,682 times
Regular readers of this forum know the above already. Waiting a week wouldn't have helped you. You'd have had to wait two weeks. Exhausting tier 3 the same day your state triggers off EB won't help you. You have to exhaust tier 3 the week after your state triggers off.

It's my opinion that you don't start the next tier the day after, but rather the second you hit zero in your current tier. As in you exhausted tier 3 on 5/5, and you started tier 4 that same day.

Last edited by Chyvan; 05-05-2012 at 11:33 PM..

Old 05-05-2012, 11:41 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker49 View Post
I live in North Carolina. I completed my Tier 3 benefits on 5/5/12. My Tier 4 begins on 5/6/12. The following statement just seems so unfair!!! It would appear to me that I should wait one week before filing for week one of Tier 4 so that I can receive 16 instead of 6 weeks of Tier 4 benefits. Please read the following. Any help would be appreciated.

Emergency Unemployment Compensation:

Augmentation of EUC08 Tier 4 from 6 to 16 weeks.
Claimants in states that are triggered "on" to Tier 4 of the EUC08 program, but not triggered "on" to EB, may be eligible for augmentation of their Tier 4 entitlement from a maximum potential duration of 6 weeks to a maximum potential duration of 16 weeks. States currently affected by this provision are Arizona, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, Oregon, Puerto Rico, and South Carolina. States that will be eligible to provide for up to 16 weeks of Tier 4 benefits for new Tier 4 claimants starting May 13 are California, Florida, Illinois, and North Carolina.
The above language is misleading. If you exhaust Tier III on 5/12, you will be considered a "new Tier IV claimant" on 5/12 and will be given immediate entitlement for the existing 6 weeks of Tier IV.

In order to be eligible for augmented Tier IV beginning May 13th, you need to exhaust Tier III on May 19th (not May 12th), at which time you will then be considered a "new Tier IV claimant" for augmented Tier IV effective 5/13 and given entitlement to augmented Tier IV.

There is no law that says you cannot stop claiming.

Stop claiming for two weeks. You're going out of town b/c of family emergency, etc.

Reopen your claim for the week beginning May 13 (i.e., exhaust Tier III on May 19th). You will then be eligible for augmented Tier IV.

You can risk exhausting Tier III on 5/12, but other states are saying eligibility for augmented Tier IV does not begin until you exhaust Tier III a week after the state triggers off, as does the BLS Directive in a very unclear statement.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 05-06-2012 at 12:01 AM..

Old 05-06-2012, 12:22 AM

Ariadne22 said it much better than I did. Don't claim this week or next. It's not too late for you.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:06 AM

111 posts, read 419,984 times
Thanks for bringing this topic up! (so glad I read this!) The last week I have in tier 3 is also Sat 5/5/12. Sounds like it would be wise to not claim for the past two weeks as I too am in a state that is triggering off EB. (CA). on the 12th.

From what I am reading around the web it may be important to use the right "reason" for not claiming any weeks. Being sick can cause problems and may require a Dr. to certify you. Not sure what is the best reason, perhaps that you made cash $ helping a friend? and then the amount is important.

Really appreciate this forum and the the great people here.

Also if anyone knows how to get thru on to the EDD dept by phone, tips, tricks, I have found it impossible in CA

Last edited by Definca; 05-06-2012 at 02:37 AM..

Old 05-06-2012, 02:21 AM

You don't have to game the questions. Just don't file. Then on 5/13 start calling and hope you get through by 5/18 @ 5 pm or when the phone lines close to reopen your claim. Then file on or after 5/20 so that you'll exhaust week ending 5/19 with a zero tier 3 balance.

You'll be without any payments in your case of the next two weeks, but you will pick up an extra 10 weeks on your tier 4 which may make all the difference between having a roof over your head and food, or living in your car. for 2-1/2 months unnecessarily.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:17 AM

111 posts, read 419,984 times
Thanks Chyvan, appreciate the response, however from what I am reading in the CA edd guidelines,
not filing may get your claim canceled. or they may insist you account for the weeks prior to continue, not good! especially if its near impossible to get thru on the phone.

It may indeed be best to not exhaust the funds left in the claim by some temporary minor self employment income of the proper amount, yard work, pulling weeds, etc. They do want receipts but you can certainly earn money and anything over $101 is discounted by 25% then deducted directly from your weekly amount.
everything else may stall the clam and require a "phone interview" to continue.

It will be interesting to see how many folks magically show yard work income suddenly to get the extra 10 weeks. they have to know folks are going to try.....

Old 05-06-2012, 08:08 AM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Definca View Post
Thanks Chyvan, appreciate the response, however from what I am reading in the CA edd guidelines,
not filing may get your claim canceled. or they may insist you account for the weeks prior to continue, not good! especially if its near impossible to get thru on the phone.

It may indeed be best to not exhaust the funds left in the claim by some temporary minor self employment income of the proper amount, yard work, pulling weeds, etc. They do want receipts but you can certainly earn money and anything over $101 is discounted by 25% then deducted directly from your weekly amount.
everything else may stall the clam and require a "phone interview" to continue.

It will be interesting to see how many folks magically show yard work income suddenly to get the extra 10 weeks. they have to know folks are going to try.....
Reporting part-time income is another strategy to extend Tier III one week past 5/12. Not too many are going to try because most don't know. And, if they do, they will be using the wrong exhaust date.

Not that hard to restart a claim. This from a CA claimant:
Quote:
Finally got through to EDD!! This time I had a super helpful lady who told me that whether it's skipping one week or two both will require a re-opening of claims (apparently even with one week they close it, too). She said that no action was required when leaving for the trip, but to call upon return to reopen the claim and they instruct you about the forms then.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:26 AM

149 posts, read 344,984 times
Had a part time seasonal job while collecting extended benefits 1. Claimed my benefits during this job that Unemployment paid me a difference. Had a balance of 1700 left to go tried to claim my benefits this morning... got this message

my claim has expired..... What the heck is this? I still have a balance.

then I read this.... EB is stopping May and June for New Jersey... But, New Jersey Unemployment rate is 9.0 %

What do I do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment