Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 04:24 PM

9 posts, read 24,947 times

Advertisements

Ive been on unemployment since Jan and its the only thing that's saved me from living on the street while trying to find a new job. I know there are others who must have it worse. It's said benefits will be terminated at the end of this year. Do any of you think that there is a possibility further extension given that we are in/approaching the worst economy in history or will the govt just let us all burn in hell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 04:56 PM

6,900 posts, read 22,592,868 times
The general thought is that they'll "let us all burn in hell" as you say. However, I think that if things start to go downhill again, and this is already happening, something will have to be done to avoid civil unrest. Time will tell.

At least you've been getting benefits...I never have been eligible due to "contract" work throughout the recession. It's another way to kick the citizens of this country, if you will. But baring full-time employment it's the only work I can get at this point. A friend who has also been doing the same, recently was turned down for a job in a local college because her "contract" employment can't be verified!

Old 08-03-2012, 06:31 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,020,619 times
It should be obvious, the Bush/Obama tax rates, SS cut, and ui expire 12/31`..that spells a deal if both sides are smart, but I'd bet ui will be cut below 52 weeks. It was 46 weeks during worst of 80s recession in majority of the country.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:04 PM

7,470 posts, read 7,054,339 times
Bread and circuses to the bitter end... At this point, our "leaders" don't have any real answers. Extending UE benefits is better than civil unrest, but it really doesn't fix the problem anymore than using a painkiller cures an illness... of course, this is the same "leadership" that hopes the Federal Reserve can print up more "free" inflation-creating money to juice the markets, so don't expect much!

In the long run, I would assume that the benefits won't be extended, and I wouldn't place any faith in the many wealthy, powerful windbags who claim to be "leaders" these days. They've got theirs, so they don't care what happens now.

Get whatever job you can - I know that is far easier said than done - and if you have any friends or family who can help out, ask them.

Good luck.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:17 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,418,681 times
I think the answer to that depends on who is elected.

Other than that, no one really knows what will happen.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:06 AM

18,665 posts, read 20,020,619 times
I would bet until December, no single bill will reach the floor of both chambers for a non-procedural vote.

Old 08-05-2012, 01:35 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,418,681 times
Kind of why I think the "who is elected" will matter. I think the Republican Party is somewhat less likely to extend benefits than the Democrats. At this point. And if there is a change in party of the President, who knows if anything will get done before January.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:06 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,180,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tollst View Post
Ive been on unemployment since Jan and its the only thing that's saved me from living on the street while trying to find a new job. I know there are others who must have it worse. It's said benefits will be terminated at the end of this year. Do any of you think that there is a possibility further extension given that we are in/approaching the worst economy in history or will the govt just let us all burn in hell?

That's why I have taken this month very seriously and waking up with the telemarketer mindset everyday. I want to give it my ALL the rest of the month and see what happens. I was satisfied with the week that just past and looking to have the same type of week or better.

What makes the UC ending in Dec sad is that you have to wait to be called for a interview which may tale a month or two. So that's why I haven't been sleeping too well because of having that on my mind

Old 08-07-2012, 03:21 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,088,782 times
Perhaps if the cut-off was a more reasonable 52 weeks(or less), those that can't seem to find a job will be able to.

If some couldn't sit around for a year applying for jobs they are not qualified for, they wouldn't be so picky.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:04 AM

11,973 posts, read 5,915,856 times
It really upsets me that some people put everyone on unemployment into one category - lazy! The want ad section in our local paper went from 20+ pages - 4 yrs ago - to 4 pages - 1 folded sheet for the past 3 yrs. The majority of unemployed take a huge pay cut when put on unemployment and also lose their health benefits. Many have exhausted savings.

I'm sure that there are those taking advantage of the system, just as there are those taking advantage of compensation - but the truth is the majority of us aren't. Even the workers at the NY State Labor One Stop know that the days of 10 people applying for a job opening are long gone - it is now over 50 people applying for that 1 position.

I have never applied for jobs that I was not qualified for - it wastes their time and mine - but I have applied to many that I was over qualified for - many making less than I do on unemployment. If you have a job be grateful - but don't lump all of us who don't into one category.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment