Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 09:45 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,126,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
It really upsets me that some people put everyone on unemployment into one category - lazy! The want ad section in our local paper went from 20+ pages - 4 yrs ago - to 4 pages - 1 folded sheet for the past 3 yrs. The majority of unemployed take a huge pay cut when put on unemployment and also lose their health benefits. Many have exhausted savings.

I'm sure that there are those taking advantage of the system, just as there are those taking advantage of compensation - but the truth is the majority of us aren't. Even the workers at the NY State Labor One Stop know that the days of 10 people applying for a job opening are long gone - it is now over 50 people applying for that 1 position.

I have never applied for jobs that I was not qualified for - it wastes their time and mine - but I have applied to many that I was over qualified for - many making less than I do on unemployment. If you have a job be grateful - but don't lump all of us who don't into one category.
They are people who have the mindset that taking advantage of the system is ok because I had friends who stated that's what they wanted to do and I quickly ended the conversation because I don't like that kind of talk. Not only is it stupid but it's weird since UC doesn't last forever
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 10:08 AM

26 posts, read 42,145 times
I was watching a television show that said this is the worst economic recovery ever. I was previously unemployed from 2001 - 2002 but during that time I had a steady stream of interviews so I knew that sooner or later I would ace one interview. This time is bad because I get very few call backs and even less interviews, I loathe going to headhunters because to me they just salespeople. I don't mean to knock all of them but I have had two unfortunate experiences with them years ago. Getting back to the interviews I read a statistic that made sense and then heard something that mad even more sense. I read that for every one job opening there are four unemployed workers looking for it, so you have a 25% chance of getting that job. I also talked to a friend who used to work in human resources and they said in high unemployment times like these, it is just luck and who you know. The person said that by law, firms and companies have to advertise job openings and interview so many people but in reality the job has already been promised to so and so's nephew, cousin, girlfriend or neighbor etc. There is no way that they could just cut off everyone like that in 2013, there has to be some sort of extension made to appease the masses.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:10 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP1977 View Post
I was watching a television show that said this is the worst economic recovery ever. I was previously unemployed from 2001 - 2002 but during that time I had a steady stream of interviews so I knew that sooner or later I would ace one interview. This time is bad because I get very few call backs and even less interviews, I loathe going to headhunters because to me they just salespeople. I don't mean to knock all of them but I have had two unfortunate experiences with them years ago. Getting back to the interviews I read a statistic that made sense and then heard something that mad even more sense. I read that for every one job opening there are four unemployed workers looking for it, so you have a 25% chance of getting that job. I also talked to a friend who used to work in human resources and they said in high unemployment times like these, it is just luck and who you know. The person said that by law firms and companies have to advertise job openings and interview so many people but in reality the job has already been promised to so and so's nephew, cousin, girlfriend or neighbor etc. There is no way that they could just cut off everyone like that in 2013, there has to be some sort of extension made to appease the masses.

Especially since some unemployment workers just recently were laid off themselves

Old 08-08-2012, 10:52 AM

18 posts, read 36,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
It really upsets me that some people put everyone on unemployment into one category - lazy! The want ad section in our local paper went from 20+ pages - 4 yrs ago - to 4 pages - 1 folded sheet for the past 3 yrs. The majority of unemployed take a huge pay cut when put on unemployment and also lose their health benefits. Many have exhausted savings.

I'm sure that there are those taking advantage of the system, just as there are those taking advantage of compensation - but the truth is the majority of us aren't. Even the workers at the NY State Labor One Stop know that the days of 10 people applying for a job opening are long gone - it is now over 50 people applying for that 1 position.

I have never applied for jobs that I was not qualified for - it wastes their time and mine - but I have applied to many that I was over qualified for - many making less than I do on unemployment. If you have a job be grateful - but don't lump all of us who don't into one category.
Well said. It frustrates me to no end when others look at me, knowing I'm unemployed, and you can see the wheels turning in their head as they state, 'Oh, you've got time on your hands...'

MY time is filled with looking for another job, so that I can support and provide for my family. It's a greater struggle by the day not to punch somebody in the face everytime I get that response or attitude...

Old 08-08-2012, 10:59 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus1695 View Post
Well said. It frustrates me to no end when others look at me, knowing I'm unemployed, and you can see the wheels turning in their head as they state, 'Oh, you've got time on your hands...'

MY time is filled with looking for another job, so that I can support and provide for my family. It's a greater struggle by the day not to punch somebody in the face everytime I get that response or attitude...
Don't forget you are supposed to FILL IN some volunteer time in addition to looking for work to provide for your family. I hate that stupid volunteer advice because someone like you said you is trying to find a new way to support their family has no time for volunteering.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:34 PM

26 posts, read 42,145 times
I also recently went back to my college to see some old professors and hopefully fingers crossed, network with some of them to get a few leads or contacts. Its been two months so, so much for that idea. Anyway I stopped to chat with an economics professor I had twenty years ago that I admired and to boot he remembered me right away. He told me that not to sound all gloom and doom but he thinks we are headed straight into another Great Depression. He told me that the cost of living and salaries keep getting higher and higher and sooner or later it will implode. He then, as always was his style, put it in perspective. He said that he and his wife went to look for a new car and he looked, key word looked, at a car that was $60,000: that much just for a car! He then said that he found out when he went food shopping that the lady who cuts his salami and provolone gets paid $45,000 a year. That much for slicing cold cuts and dishing out potato salad and cole slaw. I am sure that woman works hard but back when I was in high school and college which was not that long ago that was a minimum wage job staffed mainly by guys and gals in college and high school. To sum it up he said that we have to return to the days of fifty cent cans of Coke, to correct this disaster we have to build up again.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:59 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,084,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP1977 View Post
I also recently went back to my college to see some old professors and hopefully fingers crossed, network with some of them to get a few leads or contacts. Its been two months so, so much for that idea. Anyway I stopped to chat with an economics professor I had twenty years ago that I admired and to boot he remembered me right away. He told me that not to sound all gloom and doom but he thinks we are headed straight into another Great Depression. He told me that the cost of living and salaries keep getting higher and higher and sooner or later it will implode. He then, as always was his style, put it in perspective. He said that he and his wife went to look for a new car and he looked, key word looked, at a car that was $60,000: that much just for a car! He then said that he found out when he went food shopping that the lady who cuts his salami and provolone gets paid $45,000 a year. That much for slicing cold cuts and dishing out potato salad and cole slaw. I am sure that woman works hard but back when I was in high school and college which was not that long ago that was a minimum wage job staffed mainly by guys and gals in college and high school. To sum it up he said that we have to return to the days of fifty cent cans of Coke, to correct this disaster we have to build up again.

When some folks think back to when coke was 50 cents or bread was 25 cents seem to forget we lived in a limited economy and average pay was MUCH less and we didn't have the toys(conveniences) we have now.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:19 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,659,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
Perhaps if the cut-off was a more reasonable 52 weeks(or less), those that can't seem to find a job will be able to.

If some couldn't sit around for a year applying for jobs they are not qualified for, they wouldn't be so picky.

52 weeks or less was for another time, a time when you could get a living wage job, this is not that time. 99 weeks should stay for the foreseeable future but I know it is already getting cut back. It took me 99 weeks to find a job almost 2 years ago, cant say I'm happy with this job but it is at least getting me by. People who talk like you were obviously not one of the lucky ones who lost their job during the 2008 crash!

Old 08-09-2012, 07:25 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHGreat View Post
52 weeks or less was for another time, a time when you could get a living wage job, this is not that time. 99 weeks should stay for the foreseeable future but I know it is already getting cut back. It took me 99 weeks to find a job almost 2 years ago, cant say I'm happy with this job but it is at least getting me by. People who talk like you were obviously not one of the lucky ones who lost their job during the 2008 crash!

I don't expect people who are employed to care about the number of UC weeks someone should get. Those people will only care about it when they found themselves jobless, like my friend who gloated for 2 months while employed only to find himself unemployed before his probation was over.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:24 PM

20,986 posts, read 28,533,373 times
My husband has UE first time ever for him. His started July 9th 2012 and ends July 2013. We live in NY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment