Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 12:55 PM

426 posts, read 1,909,122 times

Advertisements

Well, turns out my life on unemployment is probably going to be short lived.

I have completed all the hoops I needed to become a fully licenced banker and now have accepted a job with a Federal Bank.

I start on the 8th of October but need some advice please.

The job is a net branch. Its full commission . There really isnt a spot where I claim weeks to put down a commission only job as it seemed wholly concerned with 'wages' earned.

There is a spot where it asks how much commission earned. Do I just wait until I earn commission then claim it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 01:04 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,079,420 times
I'd never take a 100% commission job after such a short time on UI. I can see you not getting commissions, and not getting any UI because you stopped your job search while "working" full time to not earn any money. Are you sure you want to do this?

The most accurate way to report the commission is when earned rather than paid, but I can see commissions falling through for various reasons, and it would be like trying to hit a moving target. I wouldn't want to have to deal any over payments or under payments this might cause because I can just see the UI people trying to ********* over.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:41 PM

Hey Chyvan.

My job required re education, courses, and two state tests. Criminal search and then credit report. The whole 9 yards. I am now licensed by the state.

Its a work from home internet kind of job. There are no set hours so im not working full or part time. I will continue to look for full time wage work.

But if I do make a commission, I claim it the week I make it right ? Not the week I get paid. My unemployment is up in December anyways. I dont qualify for any extra tiers because the gov is cutting that Dec 29th right?

Old 10-02-2012, 08:47 PM

We don't know for sure if UI is dying on Dec 29. However, people should plan that it's a possibility. Yes, you should try to report as it was earned as best you can.

For you, the 12/29 date doesn't count. Your claim started around 10/1. You should be eligible for benefits until around Feb 2013 even with FL's sliding scale of UI weeks.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:49 AM

ty chyvan !

Old 11-13-2012, 05:37 PM

Here is an update.

My Employer filed an appeal with the RAC to try to overturn the referees decision. Here is what the judges wrote in their opinion.

..........the complainant in this case was heard at the time of appeal by the appellant. The appellant was found to not be in violation of any the act set forth in the State of Florida v blah blah.........

........the complainant has no legal grounds nor has any substantial evidence been provided to over turn the ruling set forth. The complainant provided second hand testimony that was not substantiated by any evidence nor first hand testimony. In allowance of the second hand testimony provided by the complainant, it still did not meet the threshold set down in Florida vs blah blah..............as misconduct.

........the ruling by the referee is hereby affirmed, and the appellant is not disqualified. The employers account will be charged the amount set forth.

This was the final nail in their coffin. There is not even any wiggle room here to try to appeal it to the appellate /supreme court division. They wont hear it.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:46 PM

That's really great news. They can try to go higher if they want, but even if they approach it on a different theory, the courts will say something to the effect, "we are barred from hearing an issue on appeal that was not addressed by the administrative agency." So in effect, you saything the court "won't hear it," is pretty much what it amounts to.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:59 PM

1 posts, read 664 times
It seems that Chyvan has been very helpful in alleviating some feelings of stress due to unemployment claims not working out in people's favor. Here goes mine:
I was in "charge" by default of a gift card with monetary donations that was awarded to a school district here in Texas (my former employer). They obtained a false complaint of theft on my part from the store that gave the gift card benefits. Long story short, the day they received that complaint I was called in immediately to an investigation by the school district police department. They investigated my transactions, they took video surveillance and found no corroborating evidence of my wrong doing. I did confess I bought shoes for the families of these at risk students though. So I was honest regardless. After working for the district for almost 7 years, I had no INtention of wrongdoing, they called me in to Hr and told me due to their jeopardizing of funds from that store I would be terminated. They didn't give me proper grievance procedures of any kind. No reassignment nothing just asked if I wanted to resign in lieu of termination. So i was embarrassed, ashamed that my reputation had been tainted and feared along with anxiety and stress levels that my husband had been laid off as well. So I applied for UI benefits and got awarded for a period of a few weeks until they decided not to pay me anymore. They are now charging me 2,155.00. The employer appealed showing them the affidavits and with my so called misconduct" but never was I reprimanded by my immediate supervisor. So this said, I appealed to their decision and I'm waiting for that final determination to see if it will be reversed. Do you think they will?? I'm not in a good place right now.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:07 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Denisse. View Post
I appealed to their decision and I'm waiting for that final determination to see if it will be reversed.
When you say you "appealed", did you actually have a hearing before an Administrative Law Judge or are you awaiting that hearing?

Old 04-20-2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Denisse. View Post
The employer appealed showing them the affidavits
Were you and the employer together at a hearing before a judge?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment