Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2014, 09:50 AM

839 posts, read 1,209,505 times

Advertisements

I have to agree with NYClass, there is no pressure at all. (People keep saying there was pressure on the Senate and where are we 4 months later)The cable and main stream news outlets do not not even cover it. There was more pressure on J Boehner to take up the Minimum wage bill and the Immigration bill and he said No and they never took up these bills , being that the Republicans have the majority and control of the House and they are expected to keepo it in the elections and even get control of the Senate he has zero pressure. He has way too much power.

. I mean H Ried has had this bill sitting with him since before the break and hes not even rushing to get it done. He could have started the proccess on Monday to get it done by the end of this week and he didnt , but hes going to start it on Thursday before they leave (Unless he can convince them to work Friday and Saturday) and since this whole proccess could take a week or more where is the sense of urgency? With the Easter break upcoming he should have started this Monday. I can not undertsand why they are waiting.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:21 AM

130 posts, read 171,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageInc View Post
I have to agree with NYClass, there is no pressure at all. (People keep saying there was pressure on the Senate and where are we 4 months later)The cable and main stream news outlets do not not even cover it. There was more pressure on J Boehner to take up the Minimum wage bill and the Immigration bill and he said No and they never took up these bills , being that the Republicans have the majority and control of the House and they are expected to keepo it in the elections and even get control of the Senate he has zero pressure. He has way too much power.

. I mean H Ried has had this bill sitting with him since before the break and hes not even rushing to get it done. He could have started the proccess on Monday to get it done by the end of this week and he didnt , but hes going to start it on Thursday before they leave (Unless he can convince them to work Friday and Saturday) and since this whole proccess could take a week or more where is the sense of urgency? With the Easter break upcoming he should have started this Monday. I can not undertsand why they are waiting.

Yep. They have other priorities: Ukraine, nominations, etc.

I hope nobody here is holding their breath.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:24 AM

I get it that we need to help the Ukraine people and we need nominations done BUT how is that a priority to the suffering here in the USA. I heard one republican say that there are people suffering in the Ukraien with no hope , food and money and the country needs help. Sounds like me and the rest of us here. Unemployment should have been a priority.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:51 AM

350 posts, read 506,117 times
The main reason why J Boehner doesn't want to eventually bring a Senate passed unemployment bill to the floor of the House is that his party wants to hold the Unemployment bill ransom. He also doesn't want to have to deal with an unemployment bill in an election year, and have members of his party's votes on record. He talks about wanting a bill that "pass the test" and works for the House. He is actually looking to hold the Unemployment bill ransom for things like Keystone Pipeline, changes to Obamacare, and having the IRS stop their crackdown on the campaign donations of the right wing billionaires. Last week J Boehner was using the State's letter as a reason for saying the Senate bill is "unworkable". After the DOL letter was released he is now focused on the jobs creation aspect or lack of it, in the Senate bill.

Sen H Reid doesn't seem to have much urgency to bring up the bill for a vote on EUC. The democrats seem to want to use the unemployment issue as a talking point for the elections, and perhaps to deflect from issues with Obamacare.

The wealthy doctors could have waited until after the Unemployment vote, on the "doc-fix" measure.

From Politicususa.com
"NASWA is now working with senators on making technical tweaks to the legislation to ease states’ worries over implementation".

From Politico.com:-
"Sen. Dean Heller wants to restore expired unemployment benefits so much that he voted against a Ukraine aid bill on Monday, protesting the prioritization of international affairs over domestic ones".

Sen Portman: "The Senate bill is paid-for, short-term and contains some job-seeking reforms as well as the promise to find more when the issue is revisited in May".

It might make more sense to have a short term bill to ease the immediate financial stresses of the long term unemployed, while having some provision in the bill to implement the reforms which J Boehner wants in the long term (i.e 11 months). It is clear that both the Senate and the House should have some discussions and agreements on the EUC bill, or this impasse could stretch on for several months, or not brought to the floor of the House.

Last edited by Oceanglow; 03-26-2014 at 12:06 PM..

Old 03-26-2014, 12:23 PM

“It’s been tough to put pressure on House Republicans while the Senate is still negotiating an agreement,” the aide said. “Once that passes, it’ll be a lot easier to turn up the pressure.” See link below.

“Let’s just wait and see what happens here,” Boehner said of Senate action. “I’ve made clear what I thought was necessary for us to pass it, those criteria have not been met and those criteria have not changed.”

Unemployment Extension Vote Not Worrying House Republicans : Roll Call News

Old 03-26-2014, 12:45 PM

130 posts, read 171,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanglow View Post

“It’s been tough to put pressure on House Republicans while the Senate is still negotiating an agreement,” the aide said. “Once that passes, it’ll be a lot easier to turn up the pressure.” See link below.

“Let’s just wait and see what happens here,” Boehner said of Senate action. “I’ve made clear what I thought was necessary for us to pass it, those criteria have not been met and those criteria have not changed.”

Unemployment Extension Vote Not Worrying House Republicans : Roll Call News

For those who didn't click on the link above, here's an excerpt (emphasis mine):

"Meanwhile, potentially electorally vulnerable House Republicans such as Rep. Steve Southerland II, R-Fla., echoed that sentiment, noting that they are feeling little to no pressure in their districts to move the bill.

'I was back in the district last week for 10 days and I did not have one person, in 14 counties, mention that issue to me,' Southerland said.

Freshman Rep. Rodney Davis, R-Ill., who is also facing a competitive re-election fight, said he received no feedback from constituents during the district workweek on extending unemployment insurance unless Davis himself brought up the subject."

It's clear that we need to STOP VENTING ONLINE and START VENTING TO OUR "REPRESENTATIVES!" (NOT that I think they listen to us, but just IN CASE they do.)

Old 03-26-2014, 02:18 PM

"Reid: Expects Senate To Pass UI Bill In 'Next Few Days":-

https://mninews.marketnews.com/conte...-next-few-days

EUC Extended Unemployment Benefit Plans:-

"Despite the fact that a contingent of Democrats and Republicans worked collaboratively to come up with an unemployment benefit deal two weeks ago, and despite the fact that Senate majority leader Harry Reid said that the vote to extend unemployment benefits to the long term unemployed would be a top priority this week, Senate lawmakers have not yet voted on the deal".

EUC Extended Unemployment Benefit Plans; Senate to Vote; Emergency Compensation News Update : Learning and Finance

EUC Bill S. 2149:-

http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45208...SN9Dks.blogger

Old 03-26-2014, 02:22 PM

Another thing about H Ried. he knows it cant pass this week. it needs three votes and a 30 hour debate period. Even if they worked Friday and Saturday it would never hapen. He always says things that make me wonder what he is up to. The Ukraine bill has take 3 weeks now and still no vote and both party s want it.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:35 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,731,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageInc View Post
Another thing about H Ried. he knows it cant pass this week. it needs three votes and a 30 hour debate period. Even if they worked Friday and Saturday it would never hapen. He always says things that make me wonder what he is up to. The Ukraine bill has take 3 weeks now and still no vote and both party s want it.
Can't they agree to waive those 3 votes and the debates?? I thought they were permitted to do that.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:42 PM

23 posts, read 42,213 times
has this happened before in the past 5 or so years? a 3 month dilemma for EUC? is this normal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment