Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2014, 09:06 PM

839 posts, read 1,209,334 times

Advertisements

Ok got an explanation from searching the web. H Ried is attempting to attach this to a House Bill in an attempt to force the house to vote on it. If this works its brilliant. Atleast thats what I get from the web. This would avoid all the time and they could pass this as soon as tomorrow I think. Again if it works absolutely Brilliant. We shall see.

Senate took a HOUSE bill, H.R. 3979, which had PASSED in House under suspension of the rules for non-controversial bills. Now attaching legislation for EUI to that passed HOUSE bill, using that bill as ‘a vehicle’ for a UI vote. Will vote on passing H.R.3979 w/ that UI legislation included, and that sends it back to the House for a vote on that newly included/passed Senate verbiage (for UI), thereby bypassing Boehner.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:14 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,682,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageInc View Post
Ok got an explanation from searching the web. H Ried is attempting to attach this to a House Bill in an attempt to force the house to vote on it. If this works its brilliant. Atleast thats what I get from the web.

Senate took a HOUSE bill, H.R. 3979, which had PASSED in House under suspension of the rules for non-controversial bills. Now attaching legislation for EUI to that passed HOUSE bill, using that bill as ‘a vehicle’ for a UI vote. Will vote on passing H.R.3979 w/ that UI legislation included, and that sends it back to the House for a vote on that newly included/passed Senate verbiage (for UI), thereby bypassing Boehner.
Oh my God! If he pulls that off then Bravo to Harry Reid too! That would be friggin awesome and beyond brilliant! I hope that's what's happening. There are ALWAYS loopholes - just need the right people to find them. *fingers crossed*

Old 03-26-2014, 09:22 PM

Essentially this is a way to get the vote done quick instead of having the Republicans hold up the vote for weeks. The House is off Friday so Boehner would get this on Monday and ofcourse he will say hes not allowing a vote on it BUT thats where Nancy Plosi has to come in and force it . Lets see what happens tomorrow. Going to be interesting.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:26 PM

461 posts, read 911,805 times
Quote:
I will start at the beginning for anyone who doesnt understand the system. (Its not easy) most votes are simple majority 50 (There are 100 Senators) BUT one of the partys can Filibuster the vote of a bill by using endless debate so the bill does not come up for a vote. That is what the Republicans are doing with ALL the unemployment bills. There is a way around this but its a longer process. Its called Cloture. You have a first cloture vote (Procedural vote) needed three-fifths of the Senators (60 votes) and that trigger a limit on the amount of time that can be debated to 30 hours. Thats usually 2-3 days. (This can be waived BUT both Republicans and Democrats would have to waive it AND since Republicans are trying to stop the vote with a filibuster they are not going to waive it) After the 30 hours of debate there is a second Cloture vote that needs three-fifths of the Senators (60) and if it gets the 60 votes cloture ends (all debate stops) and then you have the regular vote and that only needs 50 .

Now there is also the procedural issues that either party can us to delay the vote AND ofcourse one of the party can demand unlimited amendments which they will then use to delay it further. Both of these tactics were used by Republicns for all the other 2 votes (Why it took so long). I fully expect an attempt to drag this out for as long as it can so J Boehner doesn't have to deal with it until after the Break.

The whole process can take as little as 4 days OR can take weeks . Look at the Ukraine bill. They started this 3 weeks ago and the debate and issues held it up until tomorrow. If they work Friday and Saturday they can get this bill done Early next week . We shall see.
I appreciate you taking the time to explain it, thank you.

It just sounds like a whole lot of bureaucratic nonsense that the parties use to screw the other party over with.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:34 PM

They do not allow Filibusters in the House . They should get rid of it in the Senate. Its just silly. This is when you see Senators all night reciting Mother Goose Story or reading poems. Right now every Democratic bill and nomination is being filibustered by the Republcians so every vote lately needs the cloture route.

I know I said I have been fooled 8 times already but I guess I am a fool again because H Rieds little "trick" got me excited to think this could actually get out of the Senate this week. I have been saying to myself for weeks it has to be done this week so the House has 2 weeks to work on it before the Easter break. I still know J Boehner can just say no and its all over but I hope that if its in his hands that he does the right thing . Again very excited to see what happens tomorrow.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:34 PM

350 posts, read 506,091 times
Quote:
Ok got an explanation from searching the web. H Ried is attempting to attach this to a House Bill in an attempt to force the house to vote on it. If this works its brilliant. Atleast thats what I get from the web. This would avoid all the time and they could pass this as soon as tomorrow I think. Again if it works absolutely Brilliant. We shall see.

That would be absolutely brilliant if H Reid could pull this off! Thanks also for your other post on the cloture process.

I saw information on this link that further discusses Filibusters and Cloture in the Senate:-

http://www.senate.gov/CRSReports/crs...D%22P%20%20%0A

Old 03-26-2014, 09:40 PM

Oceanglow, thanks for that link. I love reading as much info as I can. Will give me something to read tomorrow night since the Big Bang Theory is not on tomorrow.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:42 PM

350 posts, read 506,091 times
Quote:
They do not allow Filibusters in the House . They should get rid of it in the Senate. Its just silly. This is when you see Senators all night reciting Mother Goose Story or reading poems. Right now every Democratic bill and nomination is being filibustered by the Republcians so every vote lately needs the cloture route.

I know I said I have been fooled 8 times already but I guess I am a fool again because H Rieds little "trick" got me excited to think this could actually get out of the Senate this week. I have been saying to myself for weeks it has to be done this week so the House has 2 weeks to work on it before the Easter break. I still know J Boehner can just say no and its all over but I hope that if its in his hands that he does the right thing . Again very excited to see what happens tomorrow.
Thanks! I am learning a lot about the voting process and how bills are passed bills in the House/Senate. I must admit couple of months ago, I didn't know what "cloture" meant. I was a visitor to this site then, and saw you discussed cloture in the past. That prompted me to join this site.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:06 PM

148 posts, read 267,073 times
So the Senate would have to vote on H.R. 3979? I can't find any info on this. Is a vote scheduled on it?

Old 03-26-2014, 10:20 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,682,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenthrough View Post
So the Senate would have to vote on H.R. 3979? I can't find any info on this. Is a vote scheduled on it?
Yes. They would amend the bill and attach the UE extension to it and pass it. Then because it was amended it would have to go back to the House for a re-vote and Boehner wouldn't be able to stop it because that is the process that must be taken since they already passed it before it was amended.

Sounds like a movie in the making, doesn't it?

Here's a link that tells you what the bill is: http://beta.congress.gov/bill/113th-...ouse-bill/3979
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment