Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2014, 08:48 PM

314 posts, read 697,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
What did he even say?? I couldn't watch. He is sooooo full of it!!! "Yeah, we are gonna create NEW jobs.... we're gonna bring jobs BACK to America.....blah blah blah blah....."
He said the same thing in past state of the union speeches . The jobs is a joke. There have been more lost jobs then new. And these 8 million jobs are probably minimum wage jobs started by people who couldn't find work so they started new businesses

Old 01-28-2014, 08:48 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
Quote:
Where are these "4 million jobs"????/

"6.7 unemployment rate" --- Do you NOT understand or "get" the fact that "unemployment is down" because millions are no longer collecting benefits becuase extended benefits were stopped???? DO YOU GET IT NOW?????????? Unemployment is NOT down.... the number of people COLLECTING unemployment is down because benefits were cut!!!!!!!!!!! Is that confusing to you??

Where are you that so many people are getting "new, better jobs"???
It went down for several reasons. Yes, many stopped looking, but many got jobs. We have many regions with very low unemployment rates and excellent low ratios of available labor (unemployed) versus open job postings. That ratio exceeded 5-1 at the worst point, we're as a nation about 3-1 now, Nashville metro is 2-1, Hartford , Ct is 1-1.

I'm actually talking to employers in both Nashville metro and the New jersey/Pa corridor. I've known several in both regions who have gotten excellent new offers in the last few months.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:52 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
It went down for several reasons. Yes, many stopped looking, but many got jobs. We have many regions with very low unemployment rates and excellent low ratios of available labor (unemployed) versus open job postings. That ratio exceeded 5-1 at the worst point, we're as a nation about 3-1 now, Nashville metro is 2-1, Hartford , Ct is 1-1.

I'm actually talking to employers in both Nashville metro and the New jersey/Pa corridor. I've known several in both regions who have gotten excellent new offers in the last few months.
New Jersey as a whole has been picking up. The entire NYC metro has seen significant recovery. Other areas that are kicking of major job growth include Portland, Pittsburgh, Austin, and San Francisco.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:52 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,730,371 times
Quote:

People have NOT stopped looking ----- don't you get that when the EUC was stopped, that made it look like unemployment went down. We're talking about MILLIONS of people so, yeah, that would put a huge dent in the unemployment numbers and make it look like they went down significantly.

Goody for you that you can find work and that you have offers rolling in..... many of us have been consistently looking for work and cannot find anything.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:54 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,493,097 times
"That giant sucking sound......

Giant Sucking Sound - Ross Perot 1992 Presidential Debate.flv - YouTube

"won't stop for ten-fifteen years - until wages outside of the country have risen to $6/hr. and US wages have dropped to $6 hr. - in the meantime, you've wrecked the country."

Couldn't have been more prescient.

I voted for Perot.. was very unhappy he withdrew his candidacy the second time around. Threats on his life - gee, I wonder from whom...

Last edited by Ariadne22; 01-28-2014 at 09:02 PM..

Old 01-28-2014, 08:56 PM

314 posts, read 697,975 times
Quote:

You are dellusional if you think the recent drop isn't because extensions were stopped. All these new jobs are mostly jobs that you can't live off if you have a family. Started by small businesses which are on the rise because these people started their own business because they couldn't find work. Most ofthese small businesses don't last by the way and will lay off their employees. Because they don't make enough and fail

Old 01-28-2014, 08:59 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
Quote:
People have NOT stopped looking ----- don't you get that when the EUC was stopped, that made it look like unemployment went down. We're talking about MILLIONS of people so, yeah, that would put a huge dent in the unemployment numbers and make it look like they went down significantly.

Goody for you that you can find work and that you have offers rolling in..... many of us have been consistently looking for work and cannot find anything.
Lots of people have stopped looking. That's a fact.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:02 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,730,371 times
Here is what he said about extending EUC:

But first, this Congress needs to restore the unemployment insurance you just let expire for 1.6 million people.

Congress, give these hardworking, responsible Americans that chance

You can read the text of his speech here:

Text of Obama's State of the Union address

I swear, reading this speech only makes me wonder what planet this guy is on. He is out of his freaking mind!!!

he's not going to do a darn thing for us. He should have challenged Congress to opt out of their "retreat" and work on getting the EUC passed!!!

Old 01-28-2014, 09:04 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
Uib will continue indefinitely it has become welfare
Why? Bek its not a recession and recovery its a contraction those jobs are gone

Old 01-28-2014, 09:11 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,493,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Uib will continue indefinitely it has become welfare
Why? Bek its not a recession and recovery its a contraction those jobs are gone
Methinks you are correct, sadly. "That giant sucking sound......."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment