Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2014, 10:37 PM

148 posts, read 267,096 times

Advertisements

This would be BEYOND fantastic. Way to go Harry! Finally some good news

Old 03-27-2014, 01:57 AM

12 posts, read 25,356 times
I REALLY don't understand this process. Can someone explain it to me like I am a six year old? What does protecting volunteer firefighters have to do with EUC?

Old 03-27-2014, 02:21 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,683,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 102575 View Post
I REALLY don't understand this process. Can someone explain it to me like I am a six year old? What does protecting volunteer firefighters have to do with EUC?
Nothing. And that bill doesn't protect Firefighters but that's another story.

It's a bill that the House passed so it then goes to the Senate for a vote if the Majority Leader allows it (Harry Reid). The Senate can add amendments to a bill that was passed by the House and then if the bill is altered in any way it will go back to the House and another vote will take place on the bill the Senate revised. This takes John Boehner (Speaker of the House) out of the equation (he has been saying he won't allow a vote on an unemployment extension) because it is technically an amended bill that has the EUC added to it. So since it was previously passed by the House it will automatically have another vote. This time with EUC added. It has been speculated that the House should have enough votes to pass it since there are moderate republicans and republicans from states with astronomically high unemployment rates. The problem has been Boehner stating he will not allow a vote (he has the power to do so in the House as does Harry Reid in the Senate) so now we'll see if it can really pass the House.

That bill is just being used as a brilliant way to bypass John Boehner. It's content is actually irrelevant - all it does is protect employers from having to count volunteers as employees in regards to the affordable healthcare act so it would have passed both chambers anyway.

Old 03-27-2014, 03:07 AM

130 posts, read 171,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYClass View Post
Like I said.. This bill will be lagging in the house for another 2 or 3 months at least. There's no smoke for this bill so there won't be any fire. Just a bunch of runaround. Reminiscent of the previous months.

I know it can/will pass the house but Boehner and house republicans view this issue as irrelevant and a chess piece to a game.

We shall see. Time will tell.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:09 AM

12 posts, read 25,356 times
THANK YOU! I need a remedial civics class.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:18 AM

839 posts, read 1,209,505 times
I believe that once it goes back to the House Boehner has to allow it on the floor for a vote so he can still sort of block it , its not a major bill that it is attached to so he may just not bring it up , I believe but at this point just getting to the House is the goal. Let Nancy Pelosi and her crew take over at that point to get this in.

The vote in the Senate is supposed to be tomorrow (Friday) but read they are trying to get it in tonight so they dont have to come in tomorrow. SO we should know tonight. Today or tomorrow does not matter really as long as it was this week. The house is off after today until Monday so J Boehner would get it on Monday either way.

The Senate is moving ahead with much-anticipated votes on an extension of unemployment insurance benefits that lapsed at the end of last year.

Majority Leader Harry Reid set up a procedural vote Wednesday to jumpstart Senate debate on the bipartisan deal that would extend the jobless benefits for a total of five months. Without an agreement, that won’t happen until after a confirmation vote on John B. Owens, a California attorney who President Barack Obama’s tapped for a seat on the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.

Before closing for the night, Reid moved to limit debate on the Owens nomination and set the gears in motion to take up the unemployment measure, setting up a vote sequence that could start automatically on Friday, even without an agreement. Reid warned of possible weekend work right at the beginning of the week, a threat that’s been quite common but seldom carried out.

This time weekend work seems possible if there’s no agreement to truncate the debate, but Reid said on the Senate floor that “additional votes could occur later in the day.”

That usually means the majority leader is looking forward to some sort of a deal that would allow senators to make a quick exit. Given the number of procedural motions and associated votes, without an agreement the unemployment bill would linger into next week. That’s all even though the deal has the backing of five Republicans, which means it should eventually overcome any hurdles.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:53 AM

94 posts, read 162,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageInc View Post
I believe that once it goes back to the House Boehner has to allow it on the floor for a vote so he can still sort of block it , its not a major bill that it is attached to so he may just not bring it up , I believe but at this point just getting to the House is the goal. Let Nancy Pelosi and her crew take over at that point to get this in.

The vote in the Senate is supposed to be tomorrow (Friday) but read they are trying to get it in tonight so they dont have to come in tomorrow. SO we should know tonight. Today or tomorrow does not matter really as long as it was this week. The house is off after today until Monday so J Boehner would get it on Monday either way.

The Senate is moving ahead with much-anticipated votes on an extension of unemployment insurance benefits that lapsed at the end of last year.

Majority Leader Harry Reid set up a procedural vote Wednesday to jumpstart Senate debate on the bipartisan deal that would extend the jobless benefits for a total of five months. Without an agreement, that won’t happen until after a confirmation vote on John B. Owens, a California attorney who President Barack Obama’s tapped for a seat on the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.

Before closing for the night, Reid moved to limit debate on the Owens nomination and set the gears in motion to take up the unemployment measure, setting up a vote sequence that could start automatically on Friday, even without an agreement. Reid warned of possible weekend work right at the beginning of the week, a threat that’s been quite common but seldom carried out.

This time weekend work seems possible if there’s no agreement to truncate the debate, but Reid said on the Senate floor that “additional votes could occur later in the day.”

That usually means the majority leader is looking forward to some sort of a deal that would allow senators to make a quick exit. Given the number of procedural motions and associated votes, without an agreement the unemployment bill would linger into next week. That’s all even though the deal has the backing of five Republicans, which means it should eventually overcome any hurdles.

Unemployment Benefits Moving Toward Friday Senate Vote

Old 03-27-2014, 08:49 AM

60 posts, read 83,801 times
Ok they just verified that the tiers wont change.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:27 AM

148 posts, read 267,096 times
Does someone have a link about Reid attaching the EUC to H.R. 3979? I can't find any article on this...unless he's keeping it quiet. Alison Doyle didn't mention it and she usually has the latest news on it.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:29 AM

94 posts, read 162,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deenix73 View Post
Ok they just verified that the tiers wont change.
fantastic

*I agree with everyone here...lets get the senate bill approved first...breathe alittle better

*reading a lot of posts at the websites and people are getting very emotional and tense

if Boehner doesn't allow a house floor vote....

might get ugly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment