Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2009, 08:51 AM

92 posts, read 152,408 times

Advertisements

According to the Senate schedule, the UI topic was scheduled for 10am. Perhaps they are a little behind, and will cover it today. If not, I say we blow up everyone's telephone, starting with Harry Reid.

More and more I am convinced that for the most part, the wrong people are unemployed and frequently post to this forum. Does Congress have to get to Tier 10 in extensions before they realize that jobs are scarce and they need to do something more long-term???

Fly - maybe you can contact someone at the ATL DOL for an explanation. I hope it is an error and they will correct it for you soon. I remember I only received 5 out of the 9 weeks allotted for the Tier 1 extension, and was told by a career center employee that the wording "potential" weeks was the reason why...I never followed up at the time, believing I would not be unemployed much longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 08:59 AM

727 posts, read 1,097,832 times
I pulled my papers and you are right-"potential" is the key word here. So, back to starving again and I just got the weight put back on I lost previously. Nothing like a bit of yo-yo with the weight issue and not good for my health but it is what it is.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:54 AM

461 posts, read 945,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishva View Post
Some bad news-just checked to see if my check was processed and I guess it is my last check as it was for $52. I was supposed to get 15 weeks but I guess they changed their minds. Not pretty.
I checked my status and it was my last week and I got the same amount I have been getting. My check stayed the same. I got 16 weeks.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:12 AM

Congress Considers Second Unemployment Benefit Extension

by Adam Doster on September 14, 2009 - 12:44pm
While widely lambasted by stimulus opponents as useless "social spending," it's pretty clear that boosting the length and size of unemployment benefits has had a positive effect on those struggling to find work during this recession. The Center on Budget and Policy Priorities (CBPP) report (PDF) we flagged last week estimated that 700,000 adults and children nationwide stayed out of poverty thanks to multiple federally-funded extensions (which provides 53 extra weeks in Illinois) while 100,000 avoided financial ruin because of the $25 per week increase in the size of the benefits.
Unfortunately, unemployment is still extremely high and many companies have not yet started to expand their payrolls. So tomorrow the Senate Finance Committee will take some time off from debating health care legislation to hear testimony about the need for another round of benefit extensions. The National Employment Law Project's Beth Shulman, who will testify before the committee on Tuesday, echoed House Speaker Nancy Pelosi in an interview with the Detroit News, calling the bill "absolutely imperative:"
Another 13 weeks of benefits for the unemployed in Michigan is "absolutely imperative," a workers' advocate will tell the Senate Finance Committee on Tuesday.
Beth Shulman will try to convince lawmakers that the government has "to ensure that people can support themselves and their families," especially those in states with at least 8.5 percent unemployment. Michigan's jobless rate is 15 percent -- the worst in the nation.
"We are in the worst economic downturn since the Depression," said Shulman, who chairs the board of the National Employment Law Project.
A bill (H.R. 3403) already exists in the House that would distribute an additional 13 weeks of coverage in states -- like Illinois -- that are experiencing unemployment rates of 9 percent or higher. With over 50,000 Illinoisans expected to exhaust (PDF) their final benefits by December, now would be a good time to act.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:31 AM

92 posts, read 152,408 times
Montanaskye01, I was just about to post this. It is truly amazing how charts and reports can make you sound more intelligent than you are. The statements by the illustrious Karen Campbell are interesting, to say the least. I have provided a few excerpts with my own commentary. Granted, there are some individuals who would rather remain unemployed than work, just like there are people who want to be homeless. However, such blanket statements dilute the reality of this economy. I copied her statements from the Senate web site. Apparently there was a discussion. Now it is time for action.

“They look much harder when their benefits are about to end…Since workers with unemployment benefits search less rigorously for work until their benefits are about to expire, it typically takes them longer to find new jobs.†Define hard when the ratio of applicants to jobs is six to one, and will increase as more people become unemployed.

“For a risk-averse population, unemployment insurance provides an opportunity for individuals to smooth their spending in the event of a loss of income.†Every penny of the $320 I received each week was earmarked to pay my living expenses. Nothing to save.

My colleague James Sherk and I dynamically estimated the effect of borrowing money to pay additional weeks of unemployment insurance.†Parallel this effect with the cost of doing nothing. I guess we should work for Wall Street if we want government money.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:39 PM

Karen Campbell has a special place reserved for her in Hell if it actually exists. Amazing is all I can say. If the Republicans had their way-we would not have never gotten any extensions. This is what is called out of touch with reality.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:58 PM

Have they even talked about it today? {extending unemployment}. I have been watching it on and off all day and have heard on person speak of it.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:06 PM

Well, I read the reports-amazing what their figures are vs. what the actual figures are-and what is even more gulling is that they are even having these stupid ass studies and meetings. Hello-get a clue to the real world. If something is not passed or it isn't addressed immediately-I am taking some kind of action, even if it means I go downtown by myself and cart a sign.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanaskye07 View Post
Have they even talked about it today? {extending unemployment}. I have been watching it on and off all day and have heard on person speak of it.
They had a committee meeting earlier today. Supposidly, it will be taken up again tomorrow..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment