Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 09:00 PM

225 posts, read 1,114,765 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if you can collect unemployment if you are fired in Pa?
Someone said if it through no fault of mine yes, but if I am at fault no. I am still working, but going through organizational nullying and expecting to be fired and they will make it be my fault. Trying to get my ducks in a row. Hoping to find a job before it happens, but checking things out just in case. Anyone been fired and still collected? Any info appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 07:53 AM

53 posts, read 192,527 times
This is what CT says about it. Search the PA DOL website sure its on there somewhere.

Quote:
The general rule is that a person who voluntarily leaves suitable work without good cause, attributable to the employer, is not eligible for benefits. However, there are a few non job-related reasons for quitting under which a person may be approved for benefits. These include quitting to care for a spouse, child, or parent with an illness or disability, and quitting to escape domestic violence.

For good cause to be attributable to the employer, it must relate to the wages, hours, or working conditions of the job. A change in conditions created by your employer or a breach of your employment agreement which is substantial and adversely affects you may be good cause to quit. Also, if the job itself adversely affects your health or aggravates or worsens a medical condition, it could be good cause to quit.

Regardless of the cause, in most cases, good cause attributable to the employer may only be found if you took reasonable steps to inform your employer of your dissatisfaction and sought to remedy the problem before you left. If you quit, it is your burden to prove that there was good cause for leaving. When applying for benefits, after quitting a job, you will be scheduled to attend a pre-determination hearing to establish whether you had good cause for leaving. Your employer will be notified of this hearing and will be invited to attend or to send in a written statement.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:47 PM

1 posts, read 80,957 times
If my employer fires me (forces me to leave), can I collect unemployment? and if so, what is the compensation based upon? L

Old 04-13-2010, 04:40 PM

35 posts, read 273,310 times
From what I've read, you should ALWAYS let the unemployment bureau review every case - even if you were told that you were dismissed for not doing something at your job. Often employers set you up, because they figure they can save on the unemployment. It may help to call the unemp office to ask advice now. I know a few yrs ago, I left a job, because they took so long to adjust my work station, and did not want to risk injury. The unemployment office ruled in my favor. If you are working under somewhat abusive conditions, where you are set up for failure, your employer would probably be responsible. Employers just figure that workers will not know any better to check into this. Good luck.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:45 PM

8 posts, read 95,450 times
As far as I know as long as the reason for them letting you go is not "misconduct" then it is ok. This is based from my husband's experience, his company contested the claim and said that he is not good with his job (which is of course a lie) and it was reviewed and my husband won the claim.

Last edited by justhave2saysomething; 04-13-2010 at 04:57 PM..

Old 04-13-2010, 04:49 PM

35 posts, read 273,310 times
I've read this section in the unemployment handbook before, and it looked like you had to be outright looking to be fired to not qualify for uc. Like attacking someone at work, coming in under the influence of drugs (even then I think they cannot fire you for that). If they say you did not do your work like they wanted you to, that's kind of open to interpretation/their opinion - especially if it's a very heavy workload.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:35 PM

1 posts, read 80,917 times
You must be fired due to misconduct to not be qualified for unemployment in Pa. That means you must do something wrong to be fired. Not being able to perform the job is not misconduct. Coming in late, or not showing up for work, or not doing what your employer ask you to do is misconduct. You will be fired for misconduct and you cannot get benefits for that reason. If you are just let go because they can't use you anymore, or they do not think you are doing a good job, then you would be eligible for benefits.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:49 PM

1 posts, read 75,348 times
can you recieve unemployment if fired for call offs but have valid reason

Old 02-14-2012, 02:58 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,064,506 times
Can you prove your valid reason by some method other than just your say so?

Examples:

If after a year maybe less, you call in sick for two days because a cold, and you get fired. That would be viewed as the employer being petty, and you'd get UI.

Now, if you called in once a month because of a sick child, for 12 months straight, that would look pretty fishy. However, if you had a doctor's note that you have a child with chronic life threatening asthma, that makes it seem more reasonable, or if you can prove you have 12 kids and it was a different one being sick each month that really changes things.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:43 PM

3 posts, read 88,382 times
what if i was fired for being dishonest?? they made me sign a paper saying i was dishonest..i called out and lied about the reason..they found out..i worked there for 3 years..i live in pa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment