Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2010, 04:43 PM

377 posts, read 589,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Exactly, it's time for both sides to get together and just get something for the sake of this nation. Swallow some pride and don't have a cloud over the July 4 holiday. I actually think something may happen by Friday.
I totally agree. You know, before this whole fiasco I was very politically active but it is way too draining. I understand we have a political system for a reason, and it's good to have two sides balancing the other out, and I still intend to vote every election, but I have just become really soured over politics. Which I thought would never happen. I've lost all desire to follow the battles that go on in Washington, which previously I really enjoyed.

And, just to ironically make another political observation, I know there are a lot of people out there who feel the same way, who are unemployed, and who usually vote R or D. Both sides face a big risk of losing life-long voters.

But let's assume that we will gain our independence from being put through this by July 4. We know it's important, we know they know it's important.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:52 PM

11,302 posts, read 18,899,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C View Post
Understood, and I hope you know that you have my complete support - You are the pretty much the only reason I read this forum at all. If I don't publicly support you as much as I should it is only because you are clearly capable of defending yourself far better than I could.
Hey everyone, don't hate on diorgirl, she made a very tiny mistake with the House bill today (and it's still sounding like SOMETHING will get passed this week.....oh, it will look so "historic" in the media, Pres. Obama signing a bill to help the unemployed on July 4....yes, I can see that happening, it's all about the media and how it looks to the public), but really, I think no one gives 1/10 of the information she gives on here.

Heck, they should make her a mod on here.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjca View Post
I totally agree. You know, before this whole fiasco I was very politically active but it is way too draining. I understand we have a political system for a reason, and it's good to have two sides balancing the other out, and I still intend to vote every election, but I have just become really soured over politics. Which I thought would never happen. I've lost all desire to follow the battles that go on in Washington, which previously I really enjoyed.

And, just to ironically make another political observation, I know there are a lot of people out there who feel the same way, who are unemployed, and who usually vote R or D. Both sides face a big risk of losing life-long voters.

But let's assume that we will gain our independence from being put through this by July 4. We know it's important, we know they know it's important.
Since it doesn't let me rep you again, I just wanted to say well said and I feel the same way. I have to say you are one of the least "ideological" posters I've seen on here, just honest, fair analysis.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHGreat View Post
Just went over it here with diorgirl, But as I understand it you may have her blocked.

latest on unemployment extension bill
Thanks, very informative. And for the record, I don't have her blocked because I don't appreciate her input, I do think she's had some very informative posts, like the ones you've just linked to.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
I have to say you are one of the least "ideological" posters I've seen on here, just honest, fair analysis.
Thanks! I really appreciate that.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:04 PM

640 posts, read 1,987,714 times
Quote:
Exactly, it's time for both sides to get together and just get something for the sake of this nation. Swallow some pride and don't have a cloud over the July 4 holiday. I actually think something may happen by Friday.
I think the Senate is not open for business Thursday due to the late Sen. Byrd's "wake" (I guess you'd call it) in the Senate chamber on Thursday. Then I think no roll calls are being made on Friday, so that means no votes.

BUT, HOPEFULLY, if this matter isn't completely taken care of tomorrow, Reid will gave the guts to make the Senate work on Friday.

Opinions, anyone?

Old 06-29-2010, 05:18 PM

169 posts, read 275,396 times
if you want an opinion on the senate working friday, i'd say NO....these guys dont even want to work when they are supposed to...its a holiday weekend and their boats and cabins are waiting for them.........

Old 06-29-2010, 05:30 PM

600 posts, read 1,074,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Civics 101:

As for "disciples" -- you're the one trying to get everyone to drink the "it's my way or the highway Kool-Aid" by attacking anyone who dares disagree with you. Sorry if the intimidation tactics are not working as effectively as you'd like.
You would be incorrect.

I remember a certain someone claiming that the Senate had never put HR 4213 on the backburner and it had been at the forefront of their discussions since day one........

until I posted an article saying that they pretty much had put it to the side to focus on other legislation.

But I forgot that we're never to question the great Diorgirl.

And you never answered my question. Do you have cats?

Last edited by shamrox311; 06-29-2010 at 05:39 PM..

Old 06-29-2010, 05:33 PM

Not worth it, dude.

Don't let the negativity drag you down.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:40 PM

139 posts, read 290,978 times
Well she seems to know alot more then you.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:56 PM

162 posts, read 312,947 times
love the fact that these media articles fail at reporting what the vote was. It was a vote to rocket the standalone bill through quickly. That vote didn;t get 2/3rds so now it goes up for an up and down vote tomorrow where it will easily pass.

My concern is the Senate. We have one Republican senator on our side and we need 2 more. We may get Collins but I don't think Brown is going to cross the street. IMO, some of this will need to be offset to get through the senate. No doubt about it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment