Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 11:16 AM

102,204 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
Maybe not so much 'creepy', but definitely weird.

My old house was a three-level townhouse, with the uppermost level having a long hallway that connected the two bedrooms. My sister and I lived there with two dogs (greyhounds) and two cats. The long hallway was a popular 'run' for all four critters, all of whom at various times would run back and forth down the hall. Well, whatever amuses them and keeps them happy, right?

Well, sadly, one of the dogs passed away (nothing creepy or mysterious, just sadly bone cancer.) The day after she died, my sister and I were on the second level of the townhouse (kitchen/dining room/living room--all pretty much an open floorplan except for a half-wall separating the kitchen from the rest of that level.) My sister was in the kitchen making lunch, and I was on the sofa, watching TV, when we heard the usual 'thundering elephant' sound of one of the critters running up and down the upstairs hallway. I'd made some comment along the lines of, "There they go again."

My sister replied, "Must be Surviving Dog."

Me: "No, she's on the other side of the half-wall from you." (My sister couldn't see Surviving Dog from her angle.)

Then I realize.....both cats are downstairs with us; one in the kitchen with my sister, hoping to get some tuna, and the other on the sofa with me. And Surviving Dog is also downstairs....and all three surviving animals are staring up at where the noise of something racing up and down the hallway is coming from. Surviving Dog lets out a small heartbreaking whine, and I impulsively called out Deceased Dog's name.

The running noise stopped.

I guess Deceased Dog wanted to have one last run down the hallway.
:'(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 11:30 AM

102,204 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I lived in a very haunted house on Long Island for many years. It wasn't old, it was five years old when we bought it from the first owners. Outside it looked like an actual Victorian - every detail was perfect - ginger bread, windows, even a turret. Inside it was your basic Mc Mansion center hall. It looked like the proverbial "Victorian Haunted House". But it was built in the mid 90s.

The phenomena was as follows.
looked
[b][b]Laundry room light - this sounds trivial, but trust me, it was not. The laundry room was in the back of the house, on the left. The family room was on the right side, with French doors leading to a deck, in between. The light would go ON and OFF all night long. And I am not exaggerating. Oh and YES. Of Couse our first call was to an electrician. Three, actually. So we ruled out anything natural.

The creepiest thing was being in the laundry room alone. I was transferring clothes fro the washer to the dryer, one day and the light switch clicked off. From then on it did this when ever I was alone in the house.

I attempted to get my largest dog to come with me when I did laundry. She is a lab pit mix, who happily followed me everywhere around the house and the garden. However, she would follow me to the door way of the laundry room and wimper and cry. I tried to pull her in with me, and she would have no part of it. She'd watch me to make sure I was OK. But she would not cross the threshold.

Chimes would occasionally ring out inside the house. From no where. Yes. We had a door bell. But it sounded nothing like this. The sound was hollow and mechanical - not at all pleasant.

Worst thing. before we moved our cats all died. So did two smaller older dogs. In a series of three days.

They were all found dead in the laundry room.
I wonder what would have happened if you'd called someone to "cleanse" the room, or maybe a medium (if one could find a genuine one), to see if they perceived anything unusual in the room. I think after the dog whimpering incident, I'd have tried to find someone to deal with the room, if not earlier, when lights would go on & off when doing the laundry.

Clearly, the dog was perceiving something.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:56 AM

11,113 posts, read 9,753,246 times
I was sleeping in late one morning, I'd worked late the night before, and was slowly waking to the warm light streaming in my bedroom, very relaxed and mostly asleep, when a man's voice in my ear distinctly said "Your mother is dying". I jolted to fully awake and there was no one there. I shook it off as a dream and got up, showered, etc. The creepy feeling of that voice, how real it sounded, stuck with me. So after a couple hours, I called my mom. She lived at an independent living place 20 miles away, and suffered from numerous ailments of being older, high blood pressure, hardening of the arteries, etc. I was relieved to hear her voice, but she said the strangest thing. She said "my leg has gone dead I guess". I asked what she meant and she said she couldn't move her leg and it was numb ever since she'd woken up that morning. I called her doctor and they said to come in immediately for an ultrasound. They found no circulation in her lower leg and went into surgery to open the arteries. They wouldn't stay open, and she had 3 surgeries over 4 days resulting in eventual amputation of the leg. She went downhill very quickly after that and died a few weeks later of complications. I know that my premonition was real. I heard a distinct warning, and it turned out to be the truth. My mother was slowly dying. While I certainly knew she had health issues that many other people have, at no time was she expected to pass any time soon.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:44 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,869,784 times
I went to Atlanta on business and stayed in a historic boutique hotel downtown. As soon as I entered the room and closed the door, I had the compelling thought that I need to know where the floor exits are in case there is a fire. Without putting my bag down, I studied the floor map on the back of the hotel room door as if I was studying for a test. I turned around, put my bag down, and felt compelled again to study the map in case I had missed something. I am not an obsessive person, nor is this my usual MO. Anyhow, I did this a few more times that night. As I laid down to sleep, I thought I needed to look at the room again with the light on so that I'd know where the window and doors were. I tossed and turned and barely slept that night, I kept thinking what would happen to me if it there was fire.

The next day I went to my meeting and was telling someone how I couldn't sleep. And that I had a strange experience and wondered if the hotel was going to catch on fire. The woman I told this to, had the strangest look on her face, and she gasped. I thought she figured I was a little neurotic. But no, she said, "You do know what happened at that hotel, don't you?". I was stumped, hadn't a clue as to what she meant. Well, it seems that the hotel had a bad fire in the 1920 or '30s and many people died. I was freaked out!! I had one more night at the hotel and was glad to leave, I will never stay there ever again. If that wasn't enough, when I got home I realized I had left/lost my favorite top and pants there. The strange this is, that I checked the closet and nothing was there when I left. Thieving ghost!

Old 06-25-2017, 09:53 PM

22,469 posts, read 11,990,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I wonder what would have happened if you'd called someone to "cleanse" the room, or maybe a medium (if one could find a genuine one), to see if they perceived anything unusual in the room. I think after the dog whimpering incident, I'd have tried to find someone to deal with the room, if not earlier, when lights would go on & off when doing the laundry.

Clearly, the dog was perceiving something.
She did. See post #54

Old 06-26-2017, 02:47 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,780,345 times
I had so many of them but here's one:

When I was a teenager, my buddy and I were hanging out in my mom's driveway washing the car and just bs'ing. My mom lived on a flat block where everyone knew everyone. Anyway an old man wearing some kind of military hat (the kind they give veterans) walks up to us seemingly out of nowhere and starts talking to us about his wife and how she is home sick and how he is visiting her. My pal and I talked to him for a few minutes, he mentioned that he had lived on the next block and we said our goodbyes. My friend and I both were a little perplexed as we had never seen this old man before in the area and when we turned around he was completely gone. Now this was a long block where you could see in both directions for a distance and there was no way this little old man could have walked that fast to get away from our sight. I mean it was only a few seconds where I turned to my friend and looked back he was gone. We both agreed that we might have just seen a ghost. We never saw him since. I still wonder what the heck happened.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:25 PM

403 posts, read 363,741 times
Been lurking this thread and I was scared to sleep the last 2 nights, LOL

Old 06-28-2017, 09:41 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,678,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
I had quite a few, but this one comes to mind.
About 35 years ago my mom had just passed and I had been living with her in her last months of a terminal illness. After she died I began the painful process of cleaning out her house and part of that included going through drawers and file boxes and throwing stuff away.
One day I got a call from a man who said he had been one of my mom's doctors and he was calling to express his condolences. Now this was several months after her death, so I thought that odd.
I did not recognize his name but he went on to talk about my mom, her diagnosis, her surgeries, and even made reference to one of her other doctors.
Then he tells me that he knew how proud my mom must have been about me and made mention of my military service and my athletic abilities as a runner. He asked how my cat was doing and made small talk that made no sense.
It seemed ''too familiar'' that he would know some of these things about me or my mom and I started feeling creepy.
I ended the conversation in bewilderment and anxiety about who this man was and how he knew what he did.
Next day I called her main doctor and he said he'd never heard of this man. A call to the hospital where she died revealed the same. Now I was really freaking out.
I was talking to my neighbors a few days later about all this and one of them told me that they meant to call me and tell me something, but did not think much of it so had put off calling.
She was my neighbor who lived across the street and she had seen a man pull alongside my driveway on trash day and take my bags of trash!
She figured he was a ''treasure hunter'' and thought nothing of it until she heard my story.
Turns out it finally made the most bizarre sense. He'd gone through a trash bag containing old medical bills of my mom's, military papers belonging to me, vet bills for my cat, and old issues of Runner's World with my name on them!
Why he called and impersonated a doctor and so forth was a mystery, but it got reported to the police.
Turns out he'd been seen doing this around town with other families and they were trying to catch him in the act.
Don't know if they ever caught him but it sure creeped me out!
This was before shredding machines became popular but I began burning old papers in the BBQ pit after that.
Pardon my ignorance, I get that he goes and takes trash, but how did he know your mom died? I see medical bills. What would be really creepy if he did that to families who just lost a member. That would be creepy.
About two months ago, I woke up around 3 in the morning. I saw an email notification, and the email said that my father was a client of his, that my dad died in car accident and left a bank deposit. It was a scam, as my father had no lawyers for over 20 years, and lives overseas. I deleted the email, but boy was it creepy, especially considering it was very early morning.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:18 AM

11,113 posts, read 9,753,246 times
Sometimes people will read the obituaries and try to scam the survivors of the deceased by claiming a bill is owed or some other thing, like this bank deposit. Criminals are disgusting, and very resourceful.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:07 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,187 times
I never gave it much thought, but I'd guess he watched the obits in the local paper. No internet in those days.

Here's another one...back in the late '80s I was caught up in some spiritual exploration and booked a cabin in the woods of a monastery. It was one of those situations where you'd go to workshops, meet in small groups, and spend time in nature's tranquility in order to get in touch with that inner self, etc..
Well I am in my one room cabin which is in the deep woods. No other cabins viewable, dark as pitch, my car parked outside the door, about 2 miles from the main buildings.
It is dark. Damn dark. It is quiet. Damn quiet. No radio, TV, phone in the cabin. Just me and my thoughts and eventually my terror. Sheer terror.
Sometime in the dark of night I hear a scratching on the wall on the outside of the cabin. I sit up in bed and listen, trying to pinpoint the location.
I hear it again, this time it is on the opposite exterior wall.
Now I'm thinking bird-flittering bird with a nest or something.
The next time I hear it the scratching is a scrape the runs the length of a wall and then goes around the outside corner and runs the length of the adjacent wall, then stops.
WTF? Now I'm scared. I can't see anything by peeking under the curtains. It is pitch black outside.
I hear it again and this time it completely encircles the cabin walls and it sounds big. Heavy.
I am freaking out. I am trapped and terrified. I can't run outside and get in my car because IT is out there!
I can't call for help-there is no phone.
So I sit and pray, in the dark, terrified as this thing encircles the walls all night long until the blessed sun comes up.
As soon as I can see outside and don't hear anything, I dash out the door to my car, start it up, and tear out of there. Never looked back, never told a soul.
Never figured out what it could have been. Not in my wildest imagination. Typing this I still feel the terror of being trapped in that cabin in the pitch black night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal