Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 10:09 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,567,541 times

Advertisements

No, I ran like hell and left. This was in the late '80s and talk about this stuff just wasn't widespread like it is now. At least not in my world at the time. I told a few friends later and they just laughed and said it was my imagination.
Re the location of the sound, it was mid-way the exterior wall. That's about all I can recall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 01:48 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
No, I ran like hell and left. This was in the late '80s and talk about this stuff just wasn't widespread like it is now. At least not in my world at the time. I told a few friends later and they just laughed and said it was my imagination.
Re the location of the sound, it was mid-way the exterior wall. That's about all I can recall.
You couldn't have imagined that; not going on for hours, as you say it did. People will say anything to dismiss something they don't believe, or that makes them uncomfortable. Even if their "explanations" don't make sense or don't fit the facts.

Old 07-08-2017, 03:44 AM

4,657 posts, read 4,116,410 times
I have a number, most of which have already been posted on one thread or another. In fact, I had addition tonight, which I put on another thread. If you will indulge me, some of these are pretty creepy, and 100% true.

I am, by the way, a paranormal skeptic, and believe that even the strangest have a logical explanation:

THE DECK OF CARDS
The first memory I have is a nightmare I had in my crib. I must have gotten hold of a deck of cards because I saw the faces of the royal cards looking at me from between the bars of the crib.

I never forgot that. I am now 42.

SISTER'S DREAM
When I was 5, my sister woke up screaming because she thought a lady was sitting at the foot of her bed. Probably just a bad dream, but it left quite an impression, and early echoes the next story...

SLEEP PARALYSIS
When I was 5-6, I has an episode of sleep paralysis accompanied with a full-on hallucination of a shadowy being. I opened my eyes and looked though the open door portal into the lit hallway to see a dark silhouette standing there, apparently regarding me. I thought I might be my sister, but I had a sense of fear, and then, all at once, it was next to me for a second, as if it had teleported or moved at fantastic speed. I can still remember distinctly that I felt it pinch me. And then it was gone.

At the time I tried to convince myself that I was dreaming when I knew damn well that I wasn't, because, at the time, I was not capable of dreaming in that sort of detail. My dreams were then entirely impressionistic in a way that is hard to describe, something like a comic book, and mostly remain so until this day. I was looking down that hallway, and I would not be able to dream real-world images like that at all until I was better than 30 years old.

I carried that around for a long time, and was very relieved when many years later I discovered sleep paralysis as a logical, and fairly common, explanation.

WHISPERING...OR TINNITUS
Occasionally, when young, especially in my very early teens, I was convinced that when I was trying to get to sleep I was hearing incoherent whispering. Could be a an actual defect of the ears as mine get waxy and easily infected. Perhaps related to tinnitus.

THE CREEPY OLD PRIEST
One day when I was approximately 17-18, I was riding a fairly empty bus. I was near the back almost by myself. The bus stopped, and this creepy looking priest got on, looking like he was about 80 years old and with a ugly look on his face as if he were in pain.

For whatever reason, he did not take any one of the dozens of open seats, but instead, walked to the back of the bus, and, despite his age and apparent pain, stood almost directly behind me. I think I moved, although I don't remember how it ended.

PHANTOM PHONE STALKER
This occurred when I was about 24-25. Going to change my name for the sake of the story. To get it, you have to understand that:

A) My Uncle does not have the same last name.
B) I live in SF and he on Long Island.
C) I have never given his number to anyone and don't even know it off hand as my mom keeps in touch.

Phone rings one night very late, around midnight-ish. He answers it.

"Hello."

"Is John Macallister there?" a female voice inquires. More than a little surprised, he replies:

"No. He doesn't live here."

"Is John Macallister there?" the voice, now more insistent, demands. Now thoroughly perplexed, he replies:

"Well no, but if you need to get a message to him, I can arrange that."

Caller hangs up and never calls back. I am sure there is a rational explanation, but I can't think of it, again, taking into account:

A) My Uncle does not have the same last name.
B) I live in SF and he on Long Island.
C) I have never given his number to anyone and don't even know it off hand as my mom keeps in touch

THE PIGEON WINGS
Forgot my exact age--somewhere between 31-35 or so. I was checking the lockdown of my company's facilities on a holiday, when I got to one of the biggest, most isolated buildings on the bay coast. Due to the holiday, there was literally no one around the industrial park area for several blocks except me and the guard at the front. Just about everything checked out, and was fine...until I got to the gas pumps.

Someone had, for no reason that I could fathom, carved the wings from one of the ubiquitous pigeons, and jammed them in the handle of one of the gas pumps, for me or someone else to find. The part that made it really creepy was the surgical precision--the wings were attached to each other via bone structure and spinal column. To this day I am not sure who would have done it, why, where they got the skill, or how they had access to the pumps.

I checked the premises thoroughly, including the inside of the building, but never found any serial killer hiding in the dark, or anything. I left, telling the guard that should they see anyone come for them, they were to leave immediately and call the police when safe.

TOOTH PREMONITION
When I was 41, I want back to the dentist for the first time in years ( I just hate going). My front tooth is going to have to be pulled and replaced because of some sort of fracture near the nerve up in the gum from grinding in my sleep. That is what makes this story strange--there is no visible aspect of it at all. I can feel it, but it is not visible. I had known for a couple of months, but I waited for a return visit to get the final confirmation.

The Sunday after that Friday follow up appointment, I went to visit my mom. I walked in, and she immediately began to freak out asking me what happened to my tooth. I asked her what the heck she was talking about, and she asked my why my tooth was missing. She thought that the exact tooth that I have to get pulled, and will be missing for awhile until I can get the implant, was gone.

I had not told her about it. She had no way of knowing. There is nothing visibly wrong with the tooth. She saw soon enough that she was wrong.

If I didn't know better, I would say that she was seeing into the future.

PAUL'S DEATH
One Saturday night, my wife and I went to bed, probably between 2-3 in the morning. It should be noted that I had, for the past few nights, had dreams about a couple of deceased loved ones that were bothering me. Shortly thereafter, we both heard a strange rattling in the room. It sounded to me like someone had picked up the Tums bottle I keep by the bed and started shaking it, although I could not quite tell where it was coming from. I opened my eyes and looked around in the dark. My wife asked nervously:

"Was that you?"

"No. I think it came from upstairs." That was a lie as it was clearly in the room, and she called me on it.

"That was here somewhere. That is scary!"

I made up another lie. "Babe, I think it was just my Tums bottle. I left it on top of my clothes there and it just fell over. Go to sleep." That was pure nosnese as it was a good, long rattle, and she did not believe it, but she had confidence that I was not worried. And I wasn't. I did not and do not know what the hell it was, but I could see that there was no one else in the room, and that is ALL that I was afraid of

Now here is where it gets real spooky.

I only check my personal phone about once a week, since my wife and mom just call my business phone. But when I woke, I found that my business phone was suddenly dead. So I went to pick up my personal phone to call my mom only to find that I had several messages left on it over the last few days. It was the sister of a friend of ours that we last had over on Christmas Eve. We had invited him over on New Years, but he said that he felt real sick and couldn't make it.

I didn't know until I called his sister back Monday, but he had died.

Nightmares of the dead...the weird disembodied noise in our room...my business phone dying, drawing attention to my pesonal phone with the messages....the death of my friend. All seemingly related though some synchronicity.

THE STRANGE BOY
In July of my 42 year. I stopped at the 7/11 to get a cup of coffee, and intentionally parked a little ways out because I don't like being crowded. To paint the picture, it was about 2100, and in an unusually big parking lot for a convenience store, since it is a fairly isolated truck-stop type area just outside of the airport on the edge of a business park.

Four boys came wandering into the parking lot, young teenagers, and three of them walked inside. One of them wandered over to my truck--again, no reason as I was off by myself--and stood there looking at me.

What you want boy?" I inquired. He merely stood looking at me a second, shrugged, widened his eyes for a second, and then adjusted his shirt in a weird way. Sensing no good coming of this, I was just about to get out of the truck and slap him one when he wandered off into the store with his friends.

I pulled up up to the front give him some "I mean business" looks, but I had to get back to work, and it occurred to me that as odd as it was, no harm was done. I drove off and left it at that.

The more I think about it, the weirder it gets, as there are no residences out there and nothing for young kids to be visiting. As they had no car, I am not even sure how they would have gotten there except to make a very long and pointless walk over and down the freeway.

Last edited by cachibatches; 07-08-2017 at 04:05 AM..

Old 07-08-2017, 07:42 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
catchibatches, I'm thinking the strange kid might have had an idea of robbing you, but you scared him off with your strong attitude. Gangs of male teens looking for trouble, or crimes of opportunity, seem to be everywhere. A friend was mugged by three teens on skateboards who rode up and asked her the time, she had her arms full, and was not at all frightened of them as she thought they were just kids riding around. They knocked her down, took her purse and broke her arm in the process.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:48 AM

4,657 posts, read 4,116,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
catchibatches, I'm thinking the strange kid might have had an idea of robbing you, but you scared him off with your strong attitude. Gangs of male teens looking for trouble, or crimes of opportunity, seem to be everywhere. A friend was mugged by three teens on skateboards who rode up and asked her the time, she had her arms full, and was not at all frightened of them as she thought they were just kids riding around. They knocked her down, took her purse and broke her arm in the process.
Yeah, that is the simplest explanation and what first occurred to me, it just didn't seem to totally fit. The kid did not look like a thug of physically impressive. He approached me alone. He had those kind of odd mannerisms. And I don't know why a criminal predator whould try to rob a mean looking guy in a dirty truck.

It just had a weirdness about it. Perhaps the kid was on drugs or something. I don't know. But there was something about it I just did not quite get.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:50 AM

5,535 posts, read 7,105,410 times
Default Tree Branch

I was out for a stroll through the woods near a popular park. I saw a woman's purse on the ground, right next to a very large tree.

The purse looked perfectly clean and dry..I was puzzled who could have lost it or purposely placed it there. WTF?? I yelled out "hello" a few times, no one answered....

So, I picked it up and examined the contents. The wallet was still there, with driver's license, cards and all. The woman's first name was Andrea.

I decided to take it with me and return it to her address on the license, [just a few blocks away] but then in the middle of that plan, I got really spooked carrying it and ended up leaving it on a park bench for someone else to deal with it. It's an upscale park and I was sure it would get taken to the police or some lost and found.

A few days later I read an article in the local newspaper about Andrea. She had committed suicide in the park by hanging herself somehow from a high tree branch.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:54 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
SLEEP PARALYSIS
when i was 5-6, i has an episode of sleep paralysis accompanied with a full-on hallucination of a shadowy being. I opened my eyes and looked though the open door portal into the lit hallway to see a dark silhouette standing there, apparently regarding me. I thought i might be my sister, but i had a sense of fear, and then, all at once, it was next to me for a second, as if it had teleported or moved at fantastic speed. I can still remember distinctly that i felt it pinch me. And then it was gone.

at the time i tried to convince myself that i was dreaming when i knew damn well that i wasn't, because, at the time, i was not capable of dreaming in that sort of detail. My dreams were then entirely impressionistic in a way that is hard to describe, something like a comic book, and mostly remain so until this day. I was looking down that hallway, and i would not be able to dream real-world images like that at all until i was better than 30 years old.

i carried that around for a long time, and was very relieved when many years later i discovered sleep paralysis as a logical, and fairly common, explanation.
I had something like that happen to me when I was little. Scared the out of me! I remember it to this day! For months after, I was afraid of waking up alone in my room. It could have been a false awakening . But the effect was the same. I saw similar visuals from time to time, but this was the only one I remember well that truly scared me.

It always happened very early in the morning, just before sunrise. It was already light enough to see around the room, but still not daylight, either. I clearly remember the following visuals:
1. At the foot of my bed, there was an intimidating-looking metal thing, about as high as my bed.
2. A small white cloud, the size of a softball and shaped like a comet, was flying near the ceiling.
3. Everything else in the room looked normal.

Back then, I thought I was just having nightmares. But sleep paralysis, as well as hypnogogic hallucinations, makes more sense. Either way, it was creepy beyond creepy.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 07-11-2017 at 02:39 PM..

Old 07-12-2017, 07:57 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluebirdSt View Post
Yes, the neighbor said a man died a few years before we moved in. He fell while painting by the stairs to the basement. The Spare room upstairs had a tiny door that was hard to open. We would go into the room and it would be open. A few times it would be open with clothing or random object placed by it. I know it wasn't my bf messing with me because we went by the door once and asked if there is any spirits to knock twice and right after there were two light knocks. My bfs face turned white. A few other stories also but after I had my son it stopped.
Wow! I've got chills.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:02 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Ok, I have a similar story.

My Grandmother died when I was age 10. The day after the funeral, I was temporarily alone in the house. The phone rang, when I answered, someone asked for my Grandmother. It was an elderly lady's voice, and my first thought was "grandma?" But, of course, I had GM on my mind!

The caller asked for my GM by name. I blurted out, she died. The funeral was yesterday! The caller seemed not surprised, and didn't ask any questions, like what happened, where was she buried, etc, what you would expect someone to ask. At least an expression of surprise, dismay, etc. I said my mother is at a neighbor's I can run get her for you. She said no, that's ok. I asked who is calling? She said Mrs Owens. I asked later, no one in our family ever knew a Mrs. Owens. Then she asked who she was speaking with. I KNEW then it was GM, calling to say goodbye. I barely whispered Mary. She said I have a little grand daughter named Mary, and she's the sweetest thing you ever saw. Then she said, I have to go now dear. Be Good! I whispered "Goodbye, Grandma!"

The whole call just didn't make sense. You don't just call for someone, find out they're dead, and not express any surprise, dismay, etc. You'd think she would at least have left a message----tell your family Mrs Owens called and she's sorry to hear about your GM passing, something to that effect. I recognized the voice, and I have a high verbal and never forget a voice, I recognized the voice immediately, it was Grandma!

Grandma came back to say goodbye! She did it in such a way to not scare me, but let me know. Her last gift to me---there is a life beyond the grave!
she really loved you....and wanted you to know that she was all right....

Old 07-12-2017, 09:41 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
I was out for a stroll through the woods near a popular park. I saw a woman's purse on the ground, right next to a very large tree.

The purse looked perfectly clean and dry..I was puzzled who could have lost it or purposely placed it there. WTF?? I yelled out "hello" a few times, no one answered....

So, I picked it up and examined the contents. The wallet was still there, with driver's license, cards and all. The woman's first name was Andrea.

I decided to take it with me and return it to her address on the license, [just a few blocks away] but then in the middle of that plan, I got really spooked carrying it and ended up leaving it on a park bench for someone else to deal with it. It's an upscale park and I was sure it would get taken to the police or some lost and found.

A few days later I read an article in the local newspaper about Andrea. She had committed suicide in the park by hanging herself somehow from a high tree branch.
You should have called the authorities as it could have been an important clue if the woman was missing. I know she was probably already dead at that time, but it might have helped them piece together what had happened. If she had been a crime victim, what you did was possibly destroy evidence and alter a crime scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal