Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 01:17 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
I have looked long and hard at tarot trying to find reasons why it works, because it does, and that has led me to studying things like quantum physics and Jung's theory of the collective unconscious. I've found a few answers that are satisfying but I'm still searching. Maybe I'll have a few more answers when I have my degree in Psychology.
It "works" because you really want it to work, and you fool yourself into believing it works. Any answer you get from the cards can be justified for any person. All it is, is artwork on cardstock, there is no power attached to it other than what you imagine in your head. Enjoy it for a game, but it's not real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 01:40 PM

4,498 posts, read 6,316,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
It "works" because you really want it to work, and you fool yourself into believing it works. Any answer you get from the cards can be justified for any person. All it is, is artwork on cardstock, there is no power attached to it other than what you imagine in your head. Enjoy it for a game, but it's not real.

Not true, I have a much more critical mind than that. I have seen too much to think it doesn't work. I know how it sounds to the uninitiated but until you have seen what I have seen you cannot make such a judgement. Usually I am in full agreement with your posts, but in this instance I think you're wrong. It's not like Christianity that requires blind faith. This is knowledge based on evidence, namely I've seen it with my own eyes. You are free to have your opinion of course, but you can't assume to know what it is or isn't.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:54 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,171,933 times
When i was younger, me and few of my friends went to do the reading, just for the fun of it. Well, i should have been dead 15 years ago.......

Old 12-19-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
Not true, I have a much more critical mind than that. I have seen too much to think it doesn't work. I know how it sounds to the uninitiated but until you have seen what I have seen you cannot make such a judgement. Usually I am in full agreement with your posts, but in this instance I think you're wrong. It's not like Christianity that requires blind faith. This is knowledge based on evidence, namely I've seen it with my own eyes. You are free to have your opinion of course, but you can't assume to know what it is or isn't.
Can you point me to any scientific evidence that it works? If so, I'd be delighted to give it a look and keep an open mind.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:56 PM

970 posts, read 1,700,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ice
It's not like Christianity that requires blind faith. This is knowledge based on evidence, namely I've seen it with my own eyes.
I understand that, but people are very good at fooling themselves. That's why a blind or double-blind test is absolutely necessary if it is to be considered seriously.

Personally, I don't believe that Tarot cards can tell the future or whatever. However, I know someone who uses it as a tool to learn more about himself. Basically, whenever he feels that the cards are "amazingly accurate", he'll try to think why he believes this, what does it tell about the thoughts and memories that are in the front of his mind. Kind of a psychoanalysis tool. As long as you don't actually believe that the cards have a magical power, it sounds like an interesting use.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:45 PM

...and if you really believe it works, why not contact James Randi, prove it to him, and collect your million dollar reward?

Old 12-19-2008, 06:06 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
I don't believe in it either but I like Lady Ice, she looks really cute in her photo, it's interesting to hear from people in other countries and she's written some great posts on other subjects, so I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I don't believe in it either but I like Lady Ice, she looks really cute in her photo, it's interesting to hear from people in other countries and she's written some great posts on other subjects, so I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt.
I would find it quite entertaining to watch her work, agreed!

Old 12-19-2008, 09:31 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
I haven't given any readings in a while. No one is ever interested lol.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:28 PM

4,498 posts, read 6,316,957 times
Uuumm , thanks for the compliments. A little embarrassing, but nice. As far as the scientific answers go, I have absolutely none except for some interesting theories which prove absolutely nothing. I'm not trying to convert anybody, and I can see myself quite comfortably standing in your shoes in this discussion. I usually am quite a skeptic, but this is something different to me. Maybe you can put it down to one of my interesting little quirks. I don't make a living from it , and the things that studying this subject have taught me have been invaluable. I see people very clearly and am a good counselor to people who can't find their own way. I've decided to go down the professional route and learn Psychology because I don't like to do anything by half measure and I don't feel comfortable charging money without that piece of paper that says I'm qualified.
If you want anecdotal evidence I can tell you about a reading I did for a friend. In that reading I saw death for her father.Of course, I did not tell her that (you never tell people of death). What I did tell her was that her father had to have his heart checked because I saw three heart attacks in a row. I really urged her to get him to have a check up, she said he had just had one and he was healthy as a horse. Nothing wrong at all with his heart. A few weeks later her father was hit by a wheel that had dislodged itself from a truck passing him on the highway as he was crossing the road. He died in hospital a few hours later and the cause of death was three successive heart attacks. It would have been a lot more helpful if I had seen an accident but I didn't. So what's the use of it? You might ask. To me ,it's best and most positive use is self development and a greater understanding of humanity in general. I don't go in for fortune telling much because generally it changes nothing as the above story illustrates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal