Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2011, 05:56 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDanishGuy View Post
Very very true.

Many europeans see interviews with creationist gun loving people from Alabama and think thats what every american is.
Is that a bad thing?

Old 06-16-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
Culturally a LOT closer to the rest of Europe than the US, despite the common language. The UK is quite unique, but in terms of politics, healthcare, sports, social policy and demographics, it has 1,000,000 times more in common with a country such as Denmark, Belgium or the Netherlands than it does with the US.
I think it is due to the ease of travel, proximity, and communication with the continent.

For the same reason, Canada is much closer culturally to the US despite its ties with the UK. Except for Vancouverites, those people are crazy.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHwboy View Post
US Presidents on the other hand are completely insulated from public criticism -- they give press conferences if they feel like it, but they can ignore everybody for four years if they want.
That does allow the president to do things that are in the best interest of the country and not kowtow public sentiment. I don't ascribe to the notion that wisdom can be found by polling the population's opinion. But realistically, the president must also weight public opinion on any decision should it ever be found out.

Quote:
If people spoke to the US president in public the way British MPs question the prime minister every week, they would be roundly condemned as unpatriotic. (Remember the 'you lie' guy? But in PMQs the prime minister can't get through a sentence without being jeered.)
It happens in the US. Generally, one can strongly disagree with the president, but it is thought that one should at least "respect the Office of the President".

Quote:
The UK system (like most parliamentary systems) has the advantage of splitting the head of state (the Queen) from the head of government (the PM). Since these two figures are merged in the USA, people can't attack the head of government without also attacking the symbol of the nation.
I think the main advantage of a parliamentary system is that it is easier to push legislation through as both the PM and Parliament are the same party (or supporting coalition). The US system is designed to allow the minority party to block legislation they disagree with. Only if one party enjoys a strong majority can they push through legislation over the minority party's objections. Obama had this for two years but that is gone now.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:22 AM

1,245 posts, read 2,211,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
Britain and America are two countries separated by a common language.
Couldn't think of two more disparate countries.
I bet that Americans would feel more at home in many European countries than in England. Scandinavia, parts of Germany and southern Europe, almost anywhere but England.
There was a girl at a local school who overheard a student who was originally from England (I think he had a Scouse accent), and asked him, "Is you from British?!"

Old 06-20-2011, 05:36 AM

13,630 posts, read 10,034,235 times
We have Morris Men.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...tKaihsuTai.jpg

Old 06-22-2011, 03:05 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,547,429 times
Well, after reviewing all the posts I guess the UK and US are a lot more different than I had at first thought (and experienced). I guess being born and raised in a place like San Francisco (which is a lot more high density and less "car-centric" than much of the US) made the row houses and blocks of flats of England seem more normal.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:38 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
Well, after reviewing all the posts I guess the UK and US are a lot more different than I had at first thought (and experienced). I guess being born and raised in a place like San Francisco (which is a lot more high density and less "car-centric" than much of the US) made the row houses and blocks of flats of England seem more normal.
I started this thread and it seems to be that people in the UK are overly keen to distinguish themselves from the US and overly keen to find similarities with continental Europe.

Now, I don't dispute that there are many differences (with the US) and similarities (with the rest of Europe), but to someone who knows the two countries (UK and US) it does seem absurd to read posts here that say the US and UK have ZERO in common.

Seems to me for a lot of British people (not saying this is what I think of Americans BTW) the U.S. is like the boorish brother that they're a bit ashamed of, but what can you do, you are still part of the same family. Whereas continental Europe is the sexy third cousin that you secretly want to be like.

Sort of like how people in Luxembourg *like* to think they are more like the French, when in actual fact they really are more like the Germans (but don't like to admit it because of the global stigma related to WW1 and WW2)... (I have already posted this bit on this forum before, on another thread.)

Old 06-23-2011, 11:58 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I started this thread and it seems to be that people in the UK are overly keen to distinguish themselves from the US and overly keen to find similarities with continental Europe.

Now, I don't dispute that there are many differences (with the US) and similarities (with the rest of Europe), but to someone who knows the two countries (UK and US) it does seem absurd to read posts here that say the US and UK have ZERO in common.

Seems to me for a lot of British people (not saying this is what I think of Americans BTW) the U.S. is like the boorish brother that they're a bit ashamed of, but what can you do, you are still part of the same family. Whereas continental Europe is the sexy third cousin that you secretly want to be like.

Sort of like how people in Luxembourg *like* to think they are more like the French, when in actual fact they really are more like the Germans (but don't like to admit it because of the global stigma related to WW1 and WW2)... (I have already posted this bit on this forum before, on another thread.)

I don't think there are any people that would say 'zero' in common, but what do you mean when you say "same family"? My opinion is that we are more European than American.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:35 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,015,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
What about NYC, Chicago, and Seattle?

Old 06-23-2011, 09:06 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

This is very true, and I like the examples you used to point it out. The US being the largest economy, and military superpower gets alot of negative press and attention. For this reason people in other areas of the English speaking world often try to distance themselves from us because they dislike our goverment, but there is no denying the very strong cultural connection that exists between ALL the English speaking nations. There are many threads dealing with this, ones that deal with differences/similarities between Canada and the US, New Zealand and Australia, and Great Britain and all the above. The fact that so many people go looking for the differences tells you that there are far more similarities than differences. The differences that do exist between the Anglo nations have more to do with attitudes toward goverments role in society than they do with true cultural difference. After all we really are all the same people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom