Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 09:43 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by britguy1 View Post
My grandmother (god rest her soul) could speak in proper yorkshire! Totally incomprehensible as it has it's roots in old Nordic / Germanic languages, not English!
I can relate - my aunt was Creole from New Orleans and spoke that New Orleans dialect that is a mixture of French, Spanish, English, and African. I used to love to listen to her lapse into that dialect when talking with someone else from that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 09:44 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Well it was an international venue so I didn't appreciate here using that word. How the hell did we know what that mean't
First world problems. And I don't understand what that apostrophe is doing in the last word of your supposedly English sentence either, for that matter.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:07 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,412,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
First world problems. And I don't understand what that apostrophe is doing in the last word of your supposedly English sentence either, for that matter.
He complains frequently about 'foreignors' yet he cannot even use his own language properly!

Old 07-22-2014, 09:56 PM

165 posts, read 189,740 times
Quote:
Well it was an international venue so I didn't appreciate here using that word. How the hell did we know what that mean't
If you don't understand something, just ask. Most people will be more than happy to explain something to you or help you. Just remember to be polite when asking.

Sometimes it's the difference's while vacationing, that make things more interesting and fun. Not knowing what a basket was would have made me curious, if anything.

Hope you get a chance to go to the keys while your in Florida. Great beaches.

Old 07-27-2014, 05:22 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,412,128 times
Yeah exactly.. it would have become obvious to me that it was a different name!

Old 07-29-2014, 05:35 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,689,188 times
Quote:
Yesterday I was out and got Chicken Nuggets and this black woman called them a basket.
What should she have called them?

Should they post a sign with what it should be called in every single language? I'm not really sure what could have been done differently.

When I'm in England I don't expect things to be called by American names, even in Interational places like Gatwick or Heathrow

Old 07-29-2014, 05:42 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,884,802 times
Well I didn't notice much difference in words used... But most places I had went to called the chicken nuggets, chickens tenders so I was a caught way way off guard when the woman called the chicken tenders a basket.

Btw Americans also asked for chicken tenders so it must be a Florida thingy.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Well I didn't notice much difference in words used... But most places I had went to called the chicken nuggets, chickens tenders so I was a caught way way off guard when the woman called the chicken tenders a basket.

Btw Americans also asked for chicken tenders so it must be a Florida thingy.

Ah. See this is a complicated thing..CHicken Nuggets and chicken tenders are different things
Chicken Nuggets = McDonalds..McDonalds invented chicken McNuggets in the early 80's. Now most little tiny pieces of chicken are nuggets. Even smaller ones are called popcorn chicken

Chicken Tenders = BK originally

A nugget and a tender are usually different. A nugget is more small and round and usually made of nasty parts mushed together.

A chicken tender is usually much bigger and made with better quality white meat. I'd much rather eat a tender than a nugget. They are often called Chicken Fingers or Chicken strips. Chicken fingers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chicken Tender is used everywhere in the USA as are nuggets.

She she wouldn't have been refering to the nugget or tender as "basket" Usually a Basket is something like chicken tenders with fries .. It's usually some sort of combo meal

Now lets discuss Jelly, Jello, Jam

Old 07-29-2014, 06:04 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,884,802 times
I just call it chicken nuggets but I know what chicken tenders are!

Do they say this basket thing everywhere then?

Old 07-29-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
I just call it chicken nuggets but I know what chicken tenders are!

Do they say this basket thing everywhere then?
Wel, not everywhere, but it's common.. Because usually the fiish and fries, chickn and fries etc comes in a sort of basket. Generally it just means you will get more than one thing. And come to think of it, usually they are fried foods

Fish and Chips here often come in a basket
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom