Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2019, 01:11 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,515,015 times

Advertisements

Apropos the Unionists and their flags.
I'll just park this here.

https://mobile.twitter.com/EmmaVardy...75207535833092
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2019, 08:29 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,166,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I know what you and Bernie both are saying, but let me ask you more important questions related to the future.
Do you think having Nationalist and Unionist kids being taught together is a mutually agreed upon neutral school would be a positive step?

Also, if there is a vote for NI to join Ireland, do you think Loyalists will accept it without violence?

`

The Unionist Government tried to bring that about but the RC church always blocked it.

As to the other query its pure speculation as to what would happen then.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:20 AM

16,615 posts, read 8,625,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Apropos the Unionists and their flags.
I'll just park this here.

https://mobile.twitter.com/EmmaVardy...75207535833092
I watched the video and one of the things that struck me were the guys doing the public protests, but not willing to speak and give their view on camera.
I guess they thought their signs were statement enough.

That said, those signs are a perfect example of why healing cannot properly be had when the scabs are constantly being picked at.
I get why regular folks will not take down the signs, as they do not want to pay the price. But why would the PSNI allow them to stay up on public utility polls and the like

`

Old 07-31-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
The Unionist Government tried to bring that about but the RC church always blocked it.

As to the other query its pure speculation as to what would happen then.

You are going back a bit referring to the Catholic church blocking such an idea. Then again the mistrust of any British institution back then could conceivably impede that from happening.

However lets talk about today. Not knowing your age, I'm guessing you do not have school age kids, but lets say you did.
Would you and your like-minded neighbors be ok with your kids going to a non-denominational school along with Nationalists kids?

Regarding my question about whether there would be violence from the Loyalists if the people voted for a united Ireland, yes it called for your opinion/speculation. While you have never said that you have an affiliation with such groups, you undoubtedly know the feelings/thoughts of those type of people who live within your community.
Therefore why not give your opinion

`

Old 07-31-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
You are going back a bit referring to the Catholic church blocking such an idea. Then again the mistrust of any British institution back then could conceivably impede that from happening.

However lets talk about today. Not knowing your age, I'm guessing you do not have school age kids, but lets say you did.
Would you and your like-minded neighbors be ok with your kids going to a non-denominational school along with Nationalists kids?

Regarding my question about whether there would be violence from the Loyalists if the people voted for a united Ireland, yes it called for your opinion/speculation. While you have never said that you have an affiliation with such groups, you undoubtedly know the feelings/thoughts of those type of people who live within your community.
Therefore why not give your opinion

`

To what end should I give an opinion as its hardly going to satisfy you. The Unionist Government worked towards integrated schools and called a meeting about this but the Catholic schools refused to attend. As an aside the Catholic schools were getting more money from the Ulster Government than the Catholic schools in England were getting.

Giving an opinion is just that it is not going to change anything and I have no crystal ball to say what would happen in the future.

Old 07-31-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
To what end should I give an opinion as its hardly going to satisfy you. The Unionist Government worked towards integrated schools and called a meeting about this but the Catholic schools refused to attend. As an aside the Catholic schools were getting more money from the Ulster Government than the Catholic schools in England were getting.

Giving an opinion is just that it is not going to change anything and I have no crystal ball to say what would happen in the future.
When you state the Ulster/Unionist government worked toward that, what year are you referencing?

As to satisfying me, I am not looking for satisfaction. Just trying to better understand what impediments are still holding NI back from peacefully getting along with their brothers & sisters on the opposite side of the "peace walls".
That should be a goal regardless of what governments flag flies over it.
Additionally, you give opinions on various other things (such as the evil the green tribe does), so why not give us your view regarding integrated schools and whether you are for or against them in NI

As to the potential for violence from Unionists/Loyalists, I remember a ways back I posted a video where several older gentlemen were asked by a reporter if they would fight against a untied Ireland. At least one said yes, with the other seeming to nod in agreement.
Thus I am trying to discern whether that is the feeling among many that you know, or whether it is few and far between?
It is not an unreasonable question.

`

Old 07-31-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
When you state the Ulster/Unionist government worked toward that, what year are you referencing?

As to satisfying me, I am not looking for satisfaction. Just trying to better understand what impediments are still holding NI back from peacefully getting along with their brothers & sisters on the opposite side of the "peace walls".
That should be a goal regardless of what governments flag flies over it.
Additionally, you give opinions on various other things (such as the evil the green tribe does), so why not give us your view regarding integrated schools and whether you are for or against them in NI

As to the potential for violence from Unionists/Loyalists, I remember a ways back I posted a video where several older gentlemen were asked by a reporter if they would fight against a untied Ireland. At least one said yes, with the other seeming to nod in agreement.
Thus I am trying to discern whether that is the feeling among many that you know, or whether it is few and far between?
It is not an unreasonable question.

`

People were getting along fairly well in the 1950s so much so that the IRA give up its border campaign. Most unionists would resist being forced into a united Ireland.

Re education in the 1920s the Unionist Government did what they could to bring about school intergration but they got nowhere.

https://www.historyireland.com/troub...thern-ireland/

Old 07-31-2019, 03:17 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,670 times
The Republican movement in Ulster has had a long history of deep involvement in evil and the history of much of RC tradition even allowing for reasonable people has been a deep and disturbing one. The SF?IRA lot are a terrible indictment on people even to peope on their side of the street. Indeed I can recall not so long ago the children originally in a big family and all adults now could not get information as to where their long murdered mother was hidden. Despicable is a mild description of the mentality and that religion is wrapped up in it even more despicable so considering in other places like say the US where the Mafia always had RC funerals whether of Italian or Irish tradition there is something deeply flawed and a log tradition on the island of Ireland.

Now the latest disgusting thing is a civil servant working in a government department in Ulster objecting and putting in a complaint that a daily occurrence was having to walk past a picture of the Queen. So the picture pointed for removal and a financial ok? Utterly disgusting and damnable. H /she worked for a government department and HM is the Head of State above the government yet this goes on? Head shaking is a minor reflection. As a young man I worked in a government department and one day a man two ranks above me told me I should maybe not be wearing a very small lapel badge with tiny symbols (not masonic but religious)which was for a long standing organisation. Guessed was probably Protestant so I said had he told an associate to take off her very obvious crucifix I told him to politely go away and if did that with her I would follow. Never happened!

To be directly blunt I have never been taken with that Prime Minister Blair who brought in the so-called Good Friday agreement. Makes me squirm that it was so "democratic" to tie up genuine and non violent political parties into a forced coalition with SF/IRA. Through violence the SF?IRA got the B Specials disbanded the RUC a farce created at Stormont. Demanding equality of the Irish language with English not caring a damn about Stormont. As for a referendum to unite Ireland they can simply get stuffed.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
People were getting along fairly well in the 1950s so much so that the IRA give up its border campaign. Most unionists would resist being forced into a united Ireland.

Re education in the 1920s the Unionist Government did what they could to bring about school intergration but they got nowhere.

https://www.historyireland.com/troub...thern-ireland/
Thanks for the link to the article. Having read it there is certainly examples of where the Catholic church was in opposition.
As you also undoubtedly read, there was Protestant opposition as well.
So while history is an important part of this overall discussion (primarily because ancient grievances that seem prominent today as ever) when it comes to the aspects of getting school kids together, both sides have shown a willingness to do so at various times.

As to your comment about "resist being forced into a united Ireland", I can see that.

However the term "being forced" can mean different things to different people. With the Good Friday Agreement still in place (and hopefully will remain so despite Brexit), the only means of a united Ireland would be by a majority of voters approving it.
If that were to occur, I can see where those voting to stay part of the UK would be upset, but at least it would be a democratic process everyone agreed to back in the late 90's.

So that wouldn't be what you mean by being forced, is it?

`

Old 08-01-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post
The Republican movement in Ulster has had a long history of deep involvement in evil and the history of much of RC tradition even allowing for reasonable people has been a deep and disturbing one. The SF?IRA lot are a terrible indictment on people even to peope on their side of the street. Indeed I can recall not so long ago the children originally in a big family and all adults now could not get information as to where their long murdered mother was hidden. Despicable is a mild description of the mentality and that religion is wrapped up in it even more despicable so considering in other places like say the US where the Mafia always had RC funerals whether of Italian or Irish tradition there is something deeply flawed and a log tradition on the island of Ireland.

Now the latest disgusting thing is a civil servant working in a government department in Ulster objecting and putting in a complaint that a daily occurrence was having to walk past a picture of the Queen. So the picture pointed for removal and a financial ok? Utterly disgusting and damnable. H /she worked for a government department and HM is the Head of State above the government yet this goes on? Head shaking is a minor reflection. As a young man I worked in a government department and one day a man two ranks above me told me I should maybe not be wearing a very small lapel badge with tiny symbols (not masonic but religious)which was for a long standing organisation. Guessed was probably Protestant so I said had he told an associate to take off her very obvious crucifix I told him to politely go away and if did that with her I would follow. Never happened!

To be directly blunt I have never been taken with that Prime Minister Blair who brought in the so-called Good Friday agreement. Makes me squirm that it was so "democratic" to tie up genuine and non violent political parties into a forced coalition with SF/IRA. Through violence the SF?IRA got the B Specials disbanded the RUC a farce created at Stormont. Demanding equality of the Irish language with English not caring a damn about Stormont. As for a referendum to unite Ireland they can simply get stuffed.
So called GFA?

You do not live in NI, so I guess whether they kill each other and have tit for tat bombings is academic to someone living in Scotland.
The IRA woke up to that realization when they decided to bring their bombing campaign to the UK mainland.
Otherwise NI was looked at as a red headed stepchild by mainland Britain, with little sympathy/empathy from those not directly touched by the violence.

Love or loath Blair, he helped to user in an agreed upon framework for peace. I am sure that even if people like Ulsterman had misgivings over the GFA, he would say life in NI is much better today than during the "troubles".
Tourism has helped to make Belfast a thriving city without the constant worry about violence. I cannot see any significant negative aspects to the GFA.
Probably one legitimate criticism might be that the mechanism for self rule through devolution was too easy to muck up. Hence the reason for all the current intransigence.

Regardless, whether you do not care for how it came about in your view, I bet most people on both sides in NI are thankful for it.

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom