Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2019, 01:16 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,165,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Excellent synopsis, Ulsterman.

By far, the majority of the Scotch-Irish came, through the port of Philadelphia and secondarily, Wilmington.

Historically, the Quakers who arrived in colonial Philadelphia and West Jersey/southern New Jersey have been called Irish Quakers. Some, at least came from Ulster Province.

Both Quakers and people from Ulster had tried to immigrate to Massachusetts, but were driven out by the Puritans. Some went to Rhode Island, some went back to England and some from both groups went to William Penn's settlement.

Most of the push south was on the Great Philadelphia Wagon Road, which eventually went as far south as a Quaker settlement called Wrightsborough/Wrightsboro, in northern Georgia.

Thanks for that information Southbound I have only a rough outline of what happened after they got to America and not much detail. So some of the Quakers came from Ulster. I think that man Logan was a Quaker and thought to bring a lot of folk from Ulster to America as a buffer against Indian attacks but as things turned out he later said that these people from Ulster were more trouble than the Indians.

Wasn't there some who came via Charleston. I seem to remember reading that five ships came from Ulster to Charleston.

Just looking though Ulster Sails West and it has this ' Spencer's History of the United States tells us that in one fortnight in 1773, 3,500 emigrants from Ulster landed at the port of Philadelphia '
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 01:53 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,165,726 times
Southbound there were five ships which arrived in Charleston but there were also five ships which arrived in Boston. That's what was a bit confusing.

Rev. William MARTIN & Brigatine 'FREEMASON' Newry, Ireland>Charleston SC 1772
UPDATE information re: background of the sailing of the brigatine 'FREEMASON' as one of the five original ships led by Presbyterian Covenanter Reverend William MARTIN, of Kellswater, Ireland, to Charleston, SC, Fall 1772; he [Reverend William MARTIN, 1729-1807] later died in Chester District area of today's Abbeville County, South Carolina...

"There were five ships in the emigration led by Reverend Martin, all of which sailed in 1772. The first two sailed from Larne, the next two from Belfast, and the last one from Newry. The emigrants settled throughout western South Carolina, many in the Abbeville area. Reverend Martin himself settled in the general area of Abbeville, South Carolina (Rocky Creek in Chester County). After the British burned his church in 1780, he took refuge in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina.”

https://www.genealogy.com/forum/surn.../thomson/1882/

In the year 1718 five ships sailed from Ulster to America and one group of emigrants founded and settled the township of New Londonderry in New Hampshire.

Old 07-22-2019, 01:53 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,698,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
Thanks for that information Southbound I have only a rough outline of what happened after they got to America and not much detail. So some of the Quakers came from Ulster. I think that man Logan was a Quaker and thought to bring a lot of folk from Ulster to America as a buffer against Indian attacks but as things turned out he later said that these people from Ulster were more trouble than the Indians.

Wasn't there some who came via Charleston. I seem to remember reading that five ships came from Ulster to Charleston.

Just looking though Ulster Sails West and it has this ' Spencer's History of the United States tells us that in one fortnight in 1773, 3,500 emigrants from Ulster landed at the port of Philadelphia '
You're welcome, Ulsterman.

A lot of Scottish prisoners from the Jacobite wars were dumped along the Carolina coastal area, but others were scattered along the whole coast.

The vast majority of immigrants from Ulster Province arrived in William Penn's colony.

As more and more Scotch-Irish and Germanic settlers came, both groups headed west from Philadelphia or Wilmington. Sometimes they would get into a dispute and if it escalated the Penn family would be called upon to mediate. Sometimes the result would be that the instigator would be told to leave. The result was settlements of both groups going down the Great Valley. Also, from Pennsylvania going south, stonework from both groups can still be found. Also, certain architects from London designed buildings from Philadelphia south.

Virginia brought over a group of Germanic people to live in the backcountry, as a buffer.

While doing genealogy, I've stumbled across enough to say that the best thing is to start from Philadelphia and follow them, along with the Germans, the Quakers, and to a lesser extent, the Baptists. As you latch onto certain families, more details can be found.

A lot of us who can trace back to the colonial period fall into a category that used to be referred to as American mutts or Heinz 57. That's why a lot of us do genealogy.

Old 07-22-2019, 02:07 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,698,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
Southbound there were five ships which arrived in Charleston but there were also five ships which arrived in Boston. That's what was a bit confusing.

Rev. William MARTIN & Brigatine 'FREEMASON' Newry, Ireland>Charleston SC 1772
UPDATE information re: background of the sailing of the brigatine 'FREEMASON' as one of the five original ships led by Presbyterian Covenanter Reverend William MARTIN, of Kellswater, Ireland, to Charleston, SC, Fall 1772; he [Reverend William MARTIN, 1729-1807] later died in Chester District area of today's Abbeville County, South Carolina...

"There were five ships in the emigration led by Reverend Martin, all of which sailed in 1772. The first two sailed from Larne, the next two from Belfast, and the last one from Newry. The emigrants settled throughout western South Carolina, many in the Abbeville area. Reverend Martin himself settled in the general area of Abbeville, South Carolina (Rocky Creek in Chester County). After the British burned his church in 1780, he took refuge in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina.”

https://www.genealogy.com/forum/surn.../thomson/1882/

In the year 1718 five ships sailed from Ulster to America and one group of emigrants founded and settled the township of New Londonderry in New Hampshire.

I forgot about New Hampshire. My family that I traced back to New Hampshire went there from Massachusetts. I don't know their religion.

The largest numbers were definitely bound for Philadelphia.

An interesting read is Jimmy Carter's book the Hornets Nest. It's a blend of history and fiction.

Last edited by southbound_295; 07-22-2019 at 02:15 PM..

Old 07-22-2019, 05:15 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,570 times
The interesting thing about that hall attack Ulsterman actually confirms my comments on the original intention of the tricolour flag. These attacks by idiotic Republican headbangers detract from that original flag intention. Talk about hypocrisy! Even in the Republic a couple of years ago an Orange Hall burned out but at least the non-Prots in the village were angry and gave support. These attacks have been going on for years. Even here in Glasgow a wee while ago two halls attacked but has been a massive thing for a long time in Ulster. What is left of the Ancient Order of Hibernians parade in Ulster and do not get objections or attempts to stop them. Interesting difference......

Old 07-23-2019, 09:18 AM

16,605 posts, read 8,619,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Like I said, it was just a thought. The Amish speak English as well as a 18th century Germanic dialect. If you saw the movie Witness, you saw the Amish grandfather call all people who were not Amish English. It's that way in real life.

The Ulster plantations were supposed to be made by northern English and Lowlanders from Scotland. To call all of their descendants English is simplistic. It's just something to think about.
First, I did see and remember well the movie "Witness".
It was well done had had a lot of subplots to it.
That said, what Amish people call anyone is of small consequence, as they are a small group, very insular and wish to remain that way.

I do not see the connection to how the Irish refer to the English from a historical grievance standpoint. Most people understand that when the Irish deride "The Crown", "Royals" etc. they are hearkening back to the historical aspect of their arch enemy, the "English" when the king or queen were the rulers of England.
So while today you hear or see "Britain out of Ireland" or "Brits Out" the reference to English in Irish literature and song, is because England was the big bully on the block for most of the historical conflict between the two.
Heck even the Scottish use to refer to the English in derogatory tones, as they were historically treated poorly by them as well.

As to the planting in NI, it is strange how the mentality fused together between the English and the Scottish. I do not think most people in Ulster consider themselves "English".
Ulsterman has given us a few terms typical Unionists in NI refer to themselves as.
But that does not keep some Irish from still calling anyone from Britain "English" because of the historical aforementioned reason.

`

Old 07-23-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post
How the deuce can I be condescending Vector1? May I remind you as you are giving the impression you do not know hard modern history facts.

"Modern historical facts"
That comment in and of itself is counter-intuitive.

So I guess you do not see it as condescending, but others will of course see it. But you are entitled to think that way if you like.

Quote:
When I point out the negatives of such things like that song and the traditions represented you crawl around coming up with that silly thing about Orange tribes.
I never use to say green or orange tribes, but Dangerous Boy likes using that distinction, and frankly it is fairly accurate to describe the two cultures on either side of the so called peace walls.
One of the biggest problems and hurdles NI has is the us vs. them mentality. Humans are very tribal, and birds of a feather flock together.

Quote:
May I remind that the IRA name change after name change was an evil, murderous and automatically life changing.
Ok, so you do consider them one in the same, which frankly is surprising. I doubt Ulsterman or even Roscoe would lump them all together, especially going back to the days of Irish independence.

Quote:
The OO was not and is not a terrorist organisation. Amusing that someone like yourself from a country with a not too honest and decent history is being so slightly trying to be fairly balanced!
I have never called the Orange Order a "terrorist organization".
[The reference to America is flying over my head, but I don't want to get into the weeds with you on a comparison]

Having said that, the OO is not this innocent organization (with not a sectarian bone) that you and some others seem to think it is.
I have done some research on them over the years, and I suspect your version of why they started up is one of whitewashing anything bad.
But rather than assume (you know what they say about that ) give us a brief synopsis of why you think they were originally founded?
Also why you are at it, is there any negative aspect you can think of regarding them?

`

Old 07-23-2019, 06:00 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,570 times
You not too little about history at all Vector1. The OO started near Portadown in after a large skirmish because groups of RC's were attacking them continually (same area where large numbers of Protestants were massacred years before) so locals did not want a repeat. As Protestants were a minority they were under strain and eventually the RC rebels created black flags with the letters "MWS" meaning murder without sin because their priests made that a strong point. Just a pity you come from a country with a very dodgy past when nipping others elsewhere on rights and freedoms, etc!

Old 07-23-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
There were 7 million people in Ireland in 1850 there are 4.5 million people in Ireland now. What other country has half the population it did in 1850

That is a point lost on many who try to dismiss the Irish famine as just some natural disaster.

I have not yet seen the movie Black 47, but have heard it depicts in detail the cruelty and indifference to human suffering of the Irish at the hands of the British. I forget who, but one of our regular posters was going to watch it and give their review.

If a government takes responsibility for rule over people, they are charged with the responsibility to insure those people are given basic needs for survival.
Food, water and shelter at bare minimum.
Even prisoners get "three hots and a cot" with a roof over their head.

Old 07-23-2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post
You not too little about history at all Vector1.
Have you been nipping at the sauce a bit too much, as your comments in several posts recently have been unintelligible. I thought you Scotts could hold your liquor.
You are a Scot from Glasgow, right?

Quote:
The OO started near Portadown in after a large skirmish because groups of RC's were attacking them continually (same area where large numbers of Protestants were massacred years before) so locals did not want a repeat. As Protestants were a minority they were under strain and eventually the RC rebels created black flags with the letters "MWS" meaning murder without sin because their priests made that a strong point. Just a pity you come from a country with a very dodgy past when nipping others elsewhere on rights and freedoms, etc!
If you want to make some comparisons between the Brits and us Yanks feel free, but I will not be drawn into a purposeful deflection, without you ever admitting any wrong doing on the part of Britain in Ireland.
I also will note how you failed to answer the question as to whether there has been any wrong doing on the part of the OO.
Or do you (as I suspect) just view them as a totally benign group with no negative aspects?

Surely if NI is to be united with Ireland, OO lodges will survive. But will need to modify their views to come into the modern world, not hearken back to the days of yesteryear.

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom