Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 03:52 PM

181 posts, read 155,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Okay.

Well, I used my Nana's place in Scotland as my base while I travelled around the UK for a couple of months. I met a few dodgy characters, myself, but I didn't think anything of it. Good for a laugh, if anything.

Once, though, when my friend and I sat on a stone wall enjoying the peaceful evening not far from my grandmother's home, we watched as two drunken young women -- wearing stiletto heels they, in all likelihood, couldn't walk in when sober, let alone when wasted -- trudged along the railroad tracks, having a loud conversation. Every other word out of their mouths was "fu*k" or "fu*king." When they walked passed us, they turned around, unprovoked, and challenged us, repeatedly, to a fight. They would not back down. We were stunned; they, on the other hand, seemed to be quite used to looking for a rumble.

So, should I assume that all British women are like those two women? And can I ask you again about those "cultural norms" you talk about?
Ok I know what you mean I see this every single night because I live in University accomodation. Fair enough you do have a point. English woman can be nasty ******* when they're drunk.

However, on an everyday daily basis Americans are definitely loud. You know, you can't walk down the street (especially in NYC) without hearing about someone's day job. I don't know if that's because I was in a city but I certainly found it obnoxious.

Also I take the train between Cambridge and Stansted and without fail there is always Americans on there talking loud about what so and so has done while everyone else can hear everything they hear and everything they are saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
Well I travelled from the East Coast of America to the West Coast, and back around to the East Coast again on Amtrak afterwards. There were a few dodgy characters along the way (usually American men - all the Brits and Irish I met were fine). One weirdo tried to plonk himself next to me on the overnight train as I was trying to sleep. Luckily for me, he was moved on by one of the ticket men. Remember - I was a young girl, thousands of miles away from home.

Another time, an American guy said to me "Hey, do you want to shoot some pool?". I said "No". Now back home a British guy would reply back "Alright love" and move on. But this guy replied very sternly to me "Why not?!". Now, I am not used to this and I was very scared. All I could think of was that I was going to get murdered by a pool cue.

I was glad to get back home in the end, to some normal, polite British people.
I think that happens here aswell. My mum is really gorgeous and we are constantly having to push annoying overbearing men away.

Old 12-16-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
What is it you don't agree with? There are lots of posts on this thread.

Btw, I'm a (born and raised) Canadian-American who is a child of British immigrant parents. I criticize things about Canada and the US all the time. But making sweeping generalizations about 330 million people, many of whom are immigrants from all over the world, IS rather silly, don't you think?
Obviously but I have been there 3 times and seen countless Americans here and generally they are very loud.

Old 12-16-2015, 04:00 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,529,594 times
Quote:
I grew up surrounded by Brits, so I don't know what you're talking about when you refer to "our cultural norms."

Are there quiet, reserved Brits? Yes, there are, just as there are quiet, reserved Americans. But I KNOW there are plenty of loud, boisterous, obnoxious Brits. Especially after a night of (heavy) drinking. And I hate to have to tell you this, but Brits' reputation precedes them when it comes to alcohol consumption. What, you've never heard of soccer hooliganism by Brits, either in the UK or abroad? Really?
Yep absolutely correct

Binge drinking is rife in the UK especially when we are abroad, but my circles are like that however we do it in a good way ( no trouble ) . As for football hooligans I've known and worked with lots mainly Chelsea, West Ham and worst of all millwall ( worst reputation in the world ), it's not my cup of tea obviously but I do think they added to our poor reputation abroad ( especially in Europe ).

Quote:
Okay.

Well, I used my Nana's place in Scotland as my base while I travelled around the UK for a couple of months. I met a few dodgy characters, myself, but I didn't think anything of it. Good for a laugh, if anything.

Once, though, when my friend and I sat on a stone wall enjoying the peaceful evening not far from my grandmother's home, we watched as two drunken young women -- wearing stiletto heels they, in all likelihood, couldn't walk in when sober, let alone when wasted -- trudged along the railroad tracks, having a loud conversation. Every other word out of their mouths was "fu*k" or "fu*king." When they walked passed us, they turned around, unprovoked, and challenged us, repeatedly, to a fight. They would not back down. We were stunned; they, on the other hand, seemed to be quite used to looking for a rumble.

So, should I assume that all British women are like those two women? And can I ask you again about those "cultural norms" you talk about?
Well them scotch lasses LOL, I love the scotch myself their as tough as they come but very decent in my eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rediculousaffairs View Post
I'm sorry but I do not agree with this at all!!! So far all of my experiences with Americans have suggested that they are very loud and boisterous.

They cannot handle it when people criticize their country!
In fairness if someone called me loud and boisterous I'd take it as a compliment simply because it's a measure of my confidence and proves I have both character and a sense of humour . So based on this I think the Americans are great and are much loved by my good self

Old 12-16-2015, 04:08 PM

Dixie I won't promise 😱😱😱

LOL

Old 12-16-2015, 04:18 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,063,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Most people here say please, thank you, you're welcome.

Where on earth did you work? (So the rest of us can stay away, LOL)
Oh gawd, I don't know whether I should say exactly, but it was in Delaware... Somewhere where there are lots of British and Irish students working for them during the Summer...

Old 12-16-2015, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
Oh gawd, I don't know whether I should say exactly, but it was in Delaware... Somewhere where there are lots of British and Irish students working for them during the Summer...
LOL

Your lucky you got the chance to work in the US, my job in Texas won't happen now because the money I was offered at first got halved by my mates boss so I won't be going at all now

Last edited by Londoncowboy30; 12-16-2015 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: Sense of humour is essential to an Internet forum

Old 12-16-2015, 04:46 PM

Well it's a miracle you got offered to go there in the first place.

Old 12-16-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rediculousaffairs View Post
Well it's a miracle you got offered to go there in the first place.
That it was, it was a once in a lifetime offer but there we have it mate .

Old 12-16-2015, 04:48 PM

Just saying. You really have to have some exceptional skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom