Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2016, 11:14 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
Besides trying to get a trade deal with the USA, I expect that that the UK would seek renewed ties with Commonwealth countries, such as Canada, Australia, New Zealand.....
Americans may be hesitant towards a trade deal after NAFTA and the TPP. With the U.K. Being a more expensive country in general however, especially in labor, we will less likely be hesitant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 12:00 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,681 times
I understand that a Mexican official commented that Mexico will trade with Britain post Brexit.

Which brings up an old idea-that Britain apply to join NAFTA.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:38 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
I understand that a Mexican official commented that Mexico will trade with Britain post Brexit.

Which brings up an old idea-that Britain apply to join NAFTA.
If we leave the EU, there will be a lot of opportunities for us to trade with countries outside the bloc. I don't say it will be easy, and the shock of leaving will be massive. I am convinced the EU will eventually implode. Better to be out before that day comes.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:33 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,511,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishReaper View Post
I agree N Ireland should join the South. Yes there is a lot of bad blood on both sides.
In the most recent opinion poll even a majority of Catholics in Northern Ireland don't want a united Ireland.Small matters like free healthcare and how inept successive Irish governments have ruined the country's economy count for far more than airy fairy nationalism.
I suspect for this latter reason and oil at 50 bucks a barrel would produce exactly the same result in a second Scottish referendum.Scotland only manages to run a barely competent government thanks to the largesse and generosity of its more affluent Southern neighbour.
Be under no doubt that in the event of the break up of the union only one country would not become a banana republic.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
I suspect for this latter reason and oil at 50 bucks a barrel would produce exactly the same result in a second Scottish referendum.Scotland only manages to run a barely competent government thanks to the largesse and generosity of its more affluent Southern neighbour.
Be under no doubt that in the event of the break up of the union only one country would not become a banana republic.
You would think turkey's wouldn't vote for Christmas, but you never know with the Scots. They are very patriotic, and this can sometimes cause snow blindness.........

If they left, and got in a financial mess, would we have refugees from Scotland to deal with?........

Old 06-23-2016, 03:22 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,527,305 times
Can't wait to vote!!!!

On the way home...... Stroll in singing " ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND!!!! " me thinks...

Ta ta Europe!!!

Old 06-23-2016, 03:43 AM

1,587 posts, read 1,014,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
In the most recent opinion poll even a majority of Catholics in Northern Ireland don't want a united Ireland.Small matters like free healthcare and how inept successive Irish governments have ruined the country's economy count for far more than airy fairy nationalism.
Depends on the poll and the context (as most polls ask if it is short term or long term goal) in how the question was asked. Most want it as a long term goal not short term. Anyone who calls it airy fairy nationalism clearly don't know it goes much deeper than nationalism.

Last edited by Devon011; 06-23-2016 at 04:11 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-23-2016, 04:11 AM

861 posts, read 852,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Can't wait to vote!!!!

On the way home...... Stroll in singing " ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND!!!! " me thinks...

Ta ta Europe!!!

Except for the issue of money in my pocket and fear of the unknown even I find myself tempted to vote out.

At the end of the day, it isnt easy to remain hitched to an institution that we all know is flawed and at the same time is showing an openness or willingness to reform. At the same time, I am not even big on Europe, when I go on holiday I head to North America or Japan so the only reason I am pro Europe is money.

Maybe I am being tactical here, but if we vote out. The EU may come back to the table with a better deal, we vote again and stay in!!

Just a thought, but I havent got long before I need to cast my vote..

Old 06-23-2016, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nograviti View Post
Except for the issue of money in my pocket and fear of the unknown even I find myself tempted to vote out.

Maybe I am being tactical here, but if we vote out. The EU may come back to the table with a better deal, we vote again and stay in!!
Atta boy........ vote out!!........ They may, or may not come back with a better deal if we vote out. The EU has proven to be flexible before, but only when cornered like rats.

The French will not want anything to do with a fresh deal........ they seem to be relishing punishing us, and hoping the Germans will be pleased if they need someone to play good cop, bad cop.

Just look 'em in the eye, and don't blink..........

Old 06-23-2016, 04:59 AM

290 posts, read 210,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim randal walker View Post
the economy of such a grouping would be very powerful.

It occurred to me that this grouping could be an alternative for ireland. A country which has likely not reached its potential (hinted at by the celtic tiger economy), and probably won't inside the eu.
+1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom