Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2016, 12:19 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsuleneo View Post
IF Obama was a Muslim, that would be his choice and protected under the constitution. But Obama professes his Christian faith, and still the ignorant and uneducated push this "he's a muslim" stuff. Obama was 6 years old while he lived with his step-father in Indonesia. This discussion about Obama's faith as a 6 years old is simply dumb. For those who hate Obama, they will find any excuse they can from "he was a Muslim" to "he attended a radical Black Christian Church".
Thank you for making sense and setting the record straight. He barely knew his father who abandoned him as a very young child. I think his father promised to come see him but never showed you up. He was raised by his mother and her parents.
I'm surprised that we aren't hearing that ignorant nonsense about him not being a US citizen

We've had MUCH worse--Reagan, Bush I and Bush II. We could get Trump. Obama stepped in during a recession started by Bush II and has done a good job in spite of the obstructionists--the ones who don't want health care for all, who are in love with guns, the ones who call him a Muslim.

I hope our next President is just as good and can negotiate trade deals with our best friend, the UK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 12:29 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
I like Obama a lot... he doesnt play golf while Rome is burning, he doesnt get caught with an intern in the Oval office. he does lie and cheat like some have. in fact hes tried to do his best for the US.. a decent man Id say ...and you wont see many like him...

Old 06-26-2016, 02:06 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,875,069 times
So the little brats didn't wake up on June 23rd, because of their hangover of the previous night, and now they are screaming bloody murder because they are afraid their city trips on "Scum Air" (I mean RyanAir) to Prague, Barcelona or Magaluf could be over for them.
I bet the locals however are sighing a sigh of relief.
And congratulations to the 25% of the British young folk who didn't follow the braying herd.

Old 06-26-2016, 02:15 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
So the little brats didn't wake up on June 23rd, because of their hangover of the previous night, and now they are screaming bloody murder because they are afraid their city trips on "Scum Air" (I mean RyanAir) to Prague, Barcelona or Magaluf could be over for them.
I bet the locals however are sighing a sigh of relief.
And congratulations to the 25% of the British young folk who didn't follow the braying herd.
does the herd term meaning using our heads and needing big changes..

Old 06-26-2016, 04:10 AM

434 posts, read 248,212 times
The EU - an institution unelected by the British people, within which Britian has no say, enforcing rules and regulations on Britain.

Welcome to the Future.

Old 06-26-2016, 04:19 AM

48 posts, read 38,188 times
Such an interesting read.

A piece that appeared in the Guardian and reported by the Independent :http://indy100.independent.co.uk/art...ue--bJhqBql0VZ
If Boris Johnson looked downbeat yesterday, that is because he realises that he has lost.
Perhaps many Brexiters do not realise it yet, but they have actually lost, and it is all down to one man: David Cameron.
With one fell swoop yesterday at 9:15 am, Cameron effectively annulled the referendum result, and simultaneously destroyed the political careers of Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and leading Brexiters who cost him so much anguish, not to mention his premiership.
How?
Throughout the campaign, Cameron had repeatedly said that a vote for leave would lead to triggering Article 50 straight away. Whether implicitly or explicitly, the image was clear: he would be giving that notice under Article 50 the morning after a vote to leave. Whether that was scaremongering or not is a bit moot now but, in the midst of the sentimental nautical references of his speech yesterday, he quietly abandoned that position and handed the responsibility over to his successor.
And as the day wore on, the enormity of that step started to sink in: the markets, Sterling, Scotland, the Irish border, the Gibraltar border, the frontier at Calais, the need to continue compliance with all EU regulations for a free market, re-issuing passports, Brits abroad, EU citizens in Britain, the mountain of legislation to be torn up and rewritten ... the list grew and grew.
The referendum result is not binding. It is advisory. Parliament is not bound to commit itself in that same direction.
The Conservative party election that Cameron triggered will now have one question looming over it: will you, if elected as party leader, trigger the notice under Article 50?
Who will want to have the responsibility of all those ramifications and consequences on his/her head and shoulders?
Boris Johnson knew this yesterday, when he emerged subdued from his home and was even more subdued at the press conference. He has been out-manoeuvred and check-mated.
If he runs for leadership of the party, and then fails to follow through on triggering Article 50, then he is finished. If he does not run and effectively abandons the field, then he is finished. If he runs, wins and pulls the UK out of the EU, then it will all be over - Scotland will break away, there will be upheaval in Ireland, a recession ... broken trade agreements. Then he is also finished. Boris Johnson knows all of this. When he acts like the dumb blond it is just that: an act.
The Brexit leaders now have a result that they cannot use. For them, leadership of the Tory party has become a poison chalice.
When Boris Johnson said there was no need to trigger Article 50 straight away, what he really meant to say was "never". When Michael Gove went on and on about "informal negotiations" ... why? why not the formal ones straight away? ... he also meant not triggering the formal departure. They both know what a formal demarche would mean: an irreversible step that neither of them is prepared to take.
All that remains is for someone to have the guts to stand up and say that Brexit is unachievable in reality without an enormous amount of pain and destruction, that cannot be borne. And David Cameron has put the onus of making that statement on the heads of the people who led the Brexit campaign.

Old 06-26-2016, 04:27 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,431,258 times
I have been watching the news shows this morning with great interest. Tony Blair has been having his say. This is the very same man who opened the floodgates to eastern European migrants, when most other EU countries held back.

But, even so, I recognize he is a smart man, and worth listening to. He was asked if a second referendum on EU membership may be held. At first he said no, the people have spoken and all that. But then, he said, in the situation we find ourselves in, he would rule nothing out.

He talked about the vote as in buying a house. You walk round the outside of a house, and decide you like it, and plan to buy it. Then you have a look inside, and there is dry rot, damp, and other problems. You decide not to buy the house.

I got exactly what he was saying. The political classes in our country are in turmoil. The government have to find a new Prime Minister. At the same time, the main opposition, the Labour party, are all over the place. The leader, Jeremy Corbyn, has overnight, sacked a member of his shadow cabinet, Hilary Benn. There are rumours of others to follow later today. At the same time, Nicola Sturgeon in Scotland is appearing on as many telly news shows as she can, pushing her agenda for a independent Scotland....... again.

There has never been a democratic vote in this country reran because the government don't like the result. If they try this, there will be riots that will make the ones a few years ago look pale in comparison.

Old 06-26-2016, 04:30 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,875,069 times
Surprisingly- it would seem -for a (South of Devon and the Channel neighbour and staunch Anglophile) Brexit sympathizer, I quite agree with your stance. Actual Brexit would be, to put it mildly, hard work.
However I'm still happy with the result if it means Brussels will cut some slack to Britain even if the latter is still formally a EU-member. Then it would be I believe a win-win situation for the British people.
ps Am I the only one finding Samantha Cameron's tears were a little too much? so much for the so decried - but admirable in my view- stiff British upper lip...

Old 06-26-2016, 04:36 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Thank you for making sense and setting the record straight. He barely knew his father who abandoned him as a very young child. I think his father promised to come see him but never showed you up. He was raised by his mother and her parents.
I'm surprised that we aren't hearing that ignorant nonsense about him not being a US citizen

We've had MUCH worse--Reagan, Bush I and Bush II. We could get Trump. Obama stepped in during a recession started by Bush II and has done a good job in spite of the obstructionists--the ones who don't want health care for all, who are in love with guns, the ones who call him a Muslim.

I hope our next President is just as good and can negotiate trade deals with our best friend, the UK.
Interesting he wrote a book about his father, someone he barely knew, while there was no book written about his mom, grandmother, and grandfather, all three had played a major role in his up bringing.

Old 06-26-2016, 04:39 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I have been watching the news shows this morning with great interest. Tony Blair has been having his say. This is the very same man who opened the floodgates to eastern European migrants, when most other EU countries held back.

But, even so, I recognize he is a smart man, and worth listening to. He was asked if a second referendum on EU membership may be held. At first he said no, the people have spoken and all that. But then, he said, in the situation we find ourselves in, he would rule nothing out.

He talked about the vote as in buying a house. You walk round the outside of a house, and decide you like it, and plan to buy it. Then you have a look inside, and there is dry rot, damp, and other problems. You decide not to buy the house.

I got exactly what he was saying. The political classes in our country are in turmoil. The government have to find a new Prime Minister. At the same time, the main opposition, the Labour party, are all over the place. The leader, Jeremy Corbyn, has overnight, sacked a member of his shadow cabinet, Hilary Benn. There are rumours of others to follow later today. At the same time, Nicola Sturgeon in Scotland is appearing on as many telly news shows as she can, pushing her agenda for a independent Scotland....... again.

There has never been a democratic vote in this country reran because the government don't like the result. If they try this, there will be riots that will make the ones a few years ago look pale in comparison.
Tony Blair is smart like Bill Clinton. But he sold out just like Bill Clinton. He has been copying Bill Clinton, making tons of money with his speeches. I wouldn't trust that guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom