Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2020, 01:55 PM

2,980 posts, read 1,651,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Yes hundreds of millions, many millions in Asia, many millions in Africa & millions in South America, people have lived in the hottest places on earth since there was such a thing as 'people'
Many parts of "Asia" are cold not hot. What parts of Asia are you referring to? The big cities of China, Japan and Korea, etc. are modern with a/c.

Hong Kong, Taiwan etc.

Hundreds of millions of people don't live in Sahara.

What countries of S. America? Most are modern countries unless their government is in chaos like Venezuela and even then Caracas is a modern city and millions of people aren't living in the jungles without a/c.

Yes people lived without a/c and central heating for centuries. They also lived with far more death and disease than in modern times.

If air conditioning is considered a luxury then so is central heating.

Old 04-15-2020, 03:26 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,037,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyandPearl View Post
Many parts of "Asia" are cold not hot. What parts of Asia are you referring to? The big cities of China, Japan and Korea, etc. are modern with a/c.

Hong Kong, Taiwan etc.

What countries of S. America? Most are modern countries unless their government is in chaos like Venezuela and even then Caracas is a modern city and millions of people aren't living in the jungles without a/c.

Yes people lived without a/c and central heating for centuries. They also lived with far more death and disease than in modern times.

The US is not the world's hottest country! You do realise don't you there are places on the planet that don't have a four season climate? People have been living on the equator since the beginning of mankind, tens of thousands of years without A/C! Or are you suggesting that people have only been living on Malaysia or Indonesia or Mali or India (I could go on and on) since 1950?! There are billions of people living in India without A/C and unlike Nevada the climate there is hot for 365 days of the year!

Old 04-15-2020, 04:45 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyandPearl View Post

Hong Kong, Taiwan etc.

Quote:
The US is not the world's hottest country! You do realise don't you there are places on the planet that don't have a four season climate? People have been living on the equator since the beginning of mankind, tens of thousands of years without A/C! Or are you suggesting that people have only been living on Malaysia or Indonesia or Mali or India (I could go on and on) since 1950?! There are billions of people living in India without A/C and unlike Nevada the climate there is hot for 365 days of the year!
Read the quoted text again. It never said the US is the world's hottest country. No one on here has said it's the hottest country. That's because it's not the world's hottest country.

That humans have existed in sweltering conditions all over the world for tens of thousands of years without a/c is not news. People lived in caves too. People hunted with spears. People also died of all sorts of diseases that are not longer fatal. No one is suggesting any of what you are accusing them of.

What we're trying to explain to you is that in first world countries that have months of 90F+ degree temperatures, a/c is commonly used. Extreme heat and humidity are dangerous. First world countries usually provide "cooling centers" during heatwaves for those who are too poor to afford a/c. In serious heatwaves many people have died and I am old enough to remember hearing about these events in our southern states. I remember hearing about a bad heatwave back in the 1980s where many people in Texas without a/c died from the heat. It's not a luxury. In a different time and place, these deaths were probably taken for granted but not today in a modern country.

Old 04-15-2020, 10:13 PM

93 posts, read 84,378 times
Quote:
There are billions of people living in India without A/C

So you're saying that those in extreme poverty don't have modern conveniences like A/C? Fair enough. But many also don't have indoor plumbing. So when buying a home, is indoor plumbing important to you? If so, why? Many people in the world are living without it.

Old 04-16-2020, 12:17 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,515,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Greece is not "hotter than the US." Neither is the Caribbean. I asked a specific question about the supposed hundreds of millions of people who live in climates hotter than the US who are perfectly happy without a/c. That pretty much narrows it down to specific parts of North Africa and the Middle East.

In fact, one of the hottest places on earth IS in the US--Death Valley--but there is no city there.

And how would you possibly know what I, and three hundred million other Americans, consider cold? Don't you think there could just possibly be a wide variety of opinions on that? A person in San Diego could be wearing jeans and sweatshirt and still feel cold in the same temperature that has a person in Seattle out washing the car in shorts and tank top enjoying the beautiful day.
You've obviously never been to Greece in a summer when people are dying in a heatwave.
And Greeks certainly don't whine about hot weather in quite the same way as Americans.
Mind you, they're not as obese as the average American either so perhaps they just cope with it better.
Anyway,here's a list of countries with their average temperatures - the USA is way behind Greece and the Caribbean.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...ly_temperature

But way ahead in the obesity stakes.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...y_obesity_rate

Old 04-16-2020, 01:20 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,279,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
You've obviously never been to Greece in a summer when people are dying in a heatwave.
And Greeks certainly don't whine about hot weather in quite the same way as Americans.
Mind you, they're not as obese as the average American either so perhaps they just cope with it better.
Anyway,here's a list of countries with their average temperatures - the USA is way behind Greece and the Caribbean.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...ly_temperature

But way ahead in the obesity stakes.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...y_obesity_rate
You're joking using US average temps, where the record low in the US is -76F/-60C (approx), and record high is 134F/56.7C. Of course the average US temperatures are not going to be that high. However that doesn't mean that the temperatures within the US don't have average highs above the annual average high of Athens of 64F/18C. Florida has an annual average temperature of 70.7F/21.5C, which is higher than Greece. You really can't compare a country that spans from 71.25°N to 18.5°N, and one that spans 41.5°N to 34.5N.

Even more extreme Lake Havasu City AZ has an average high of 64F/18C in January, not too bad, and an average high of 109.2F/43C, which is pretty ridiculous, and an all time high of 128F/53C. Now compare to Athens with a average high in Jan of 57F/14C and 91.2F/33C in August, not even close.

Old 04-16-2020, 01:46 AM

( Don't know if it's just me but having a lot of trouble with C-D on Android lately.I've posted again as this post came up incomplete )

Old 04-16-2020, 01:48 AM

Precisely the point I was trying to make - perhaps I should have included a smiley emoji ..
The topic in question was about the lack of window screens - and why people in the UK don't feel the need for them.
This has meandered into a my country is hotter than yours and air conditioning discussion.
Of course I'm aware of how hot some parts of the US gets but I not sure some of the American posters on here realise how hot it gets elsewhere as well.
And many countries, even today, cope with heat even without constant A/C.
Anecdotally I always thought there was excessive use of A/C on even the most pleasant of days when I lived in Florida but simply put it down to the fact that once people got used to it being on all day it was hard to kick the habit.
Bugs also didn't really bother me in quite the same way as my neighbours.

Old 04-16-2020, 06:36 AM

6,310 posts, read 4,204,998 times
Quote:
India

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/14/1...-cept-symphony

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...ed-modern-city

Old 04-16-2020, 06:45 AM

2,980 posts, read 1,651,961 times
Roscoe, why would you assume Americans aren't aware of weather conditions around the world?

Americans are some of the most well-travelled people on Earth.

Americans also live all over the world and are very aware of world conditions including the weather. For most Americans the weather is at their fingertips via their phones.

Where food is a abundant obesity is a problem. That's issue in America. It's also an issue in the UK.

If the general consensus in the UK is "we'll live without screens and chase wasps around the room with a rolled up newspaper" then more power to you.

But Americans might just put in screens and actually read the newspaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom