Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 06:57 AM

14,822 posts, read 12,043,431 times

Advertisements

The point being made is that screens on Windows, like A/C is a luxury that is perfectly easy to live without, nobody suggests either are 'bad' although A/C does of course damage the planet whereas screens on windows doesn't.

Old 04-16-2020, 07:04 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,516,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyandPearl View Post
Roscoe, why would you assume Americans aren't aware of weather conditions around the world?

Americans are some of the most well-travelled people on Earth.

Americans also live all over the world and are very aware of world conditions including the weather. For most Americans the weather is at their fingertips via their phones.

Where food is a abundant obesity is a problem. That's issue in America. It's also an issue in the UK.

If the general consensus in the UK is "we'll live without screens and chase wasps around the room with a rolled up newspaper" then more power to you.

But Americans might just put in screens and actually read the newspaper.
I dunno.
Maybe the complete lack of fly screens on windows in the UK is something to do with the fact that they're not needed.
Same for much of Europe.
Simple really.

Old 04-16-2020, 07:24 AM

2,981 posts, read 1,653,627 times
Ok fine.

Except they are needed. Britain and Europe have flying and crawling insects.

Hardly a breaking news story.

Yes this thread started with asking why Brits didn't use screens in the windows and then veered off into Americans using too much air conditioning rather than staying on topic.

Old 04-16-2020, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
The point being made is that screens on Windows, like A/C is a luxury that is perfectly easy to live without, nobody suggests either are 'bad' although A/C does of course damage the planet whereas screens on windows doesn't.
So screens are a "luxury" as well as air conditioning?

Neither is a luxury, that's a misuse of the word.

Both screens and a/c are modern advancements that make life cleaner, healthier, safer and more pleasant in general.

There's no credible evidence that a/c damages the planet.

Old 04-16-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Ok fine.

Except they are needed. Britain and Europe have flying and crawling insects.
They're not.
If they were we would have them.
Nature doesn't frighten us that much.

Old 04-16-2020, 08:12 AM

14,330 posts, read 11,729,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
You've obviously never been to Greece in a summer when people are dying in a heatwave.
Perhaps you have not been to the US when people were dying in heatwaves. I don't need to go to Greece to know that heat can be lethal; I live in Southern California. People die of heat here too, especially the elderly. We have periodic excessive heat warnings in the summer to remind people that This is dangerous heat; take precautions, or you could die. It's cavalier to say a/c is a "luxury" instead of a "necessity" when people are dying of heat. And perhaps if Greece had more a/c, not so many people would die in its heatwaves.

Quote:
Anyway,here's a list of countries with their average temperatures - the USA is way behind Greece and the Caribbean.
Comparing "average" temperatures in Greece to "average" temperatures in the entire US? Do you think we are fools?

Old 04-16-2020, 08:24 AM

Quote:
They're not.
If they were we would have them.
Nature doesn't frighten us that much.
Yeah that's it, we use screens in the windows because we're "frightened"

Roscoe, I believe you live or have a home in Florida?

Got screens?

Old 04-16-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Yeah that's it, we use screens in the windows because we're "frightened"

Roscoe, I believe you live or have a home in Florida?

Got screens?

I owned a home in Florida.It had screens.These enabled me to open my windows without the need for A/C to be on and avoid being bitten by skeeters or No-See-Ums.I never once put the heating on in my house in all the years I lived there.
I now own homes in Ireland and the UK.Neither have screens or A/C.Because there is no need for them.It is the middle of April and I have yet to see a fly or wasp in either of my houses since about October last year.I have never been bitten by a mosquito in either Ireland or England inside or out of my houses.
I also own a couple of holiday homes very popular with American tourists.Not once has anyone mentioned a lack of screens in the homes.
This leads me to conclude that you are an exception.
Or needlessly fussy.Possibly both.

Old 04-16-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
I owned a home in Florida.It had screens.These enabled me to open my windows without the need for A/C to be on and avoid being bitten by skeeters or No-See-Ums.I never once put the heating on in my house in all the years I lived there.
I now own homes in Ireland and the UK.Neither have screens or A/C.Because there is no need for them.It is the middle of April and I have yet to see a fly or wasp in either of my houses since about October last year.I have never been bitten by a mosquito in either Ireland or England inside or out of my houses.
I also own a couple of holiday homes very popular with American tourists.Not once has anyone mentioned a lack of screens in the homes.
This leads me to conclude that you are an exception.
Or needlessly fussy.Possibly both.
Let's avoid personal remarks, shall we?

I'm very well aware of the weather in Florida. I lived in Key West for three years. My mother lived in Florida for 30 years. My father's family have lived in Florida since the Revolution, before that they lived in the colony of South Carolina and before that in England.

Of course there are screens in the windows of houses in Florida, it's not an issue of being fussy, frightened or living in excess luxury.

Depending on where it is in Florida (big state), temps are 90+ six months of the year. Of course people who live there use a/c.

And have screens.

Last edited by RubyandPearl; 04-16-2020 at 09:10 AM.. Reason: Add

Old 04-16-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Let's avoid personal remarks, shall we?

I'm very well aware of the weather in Florida. I lived in Key West for three years. My mother lived in Florida for 30 years. My father's family have lived in Florida since the Revolution, before that they lived in the colony of South Carolina and before that in England.

Of course there are screens in the windows of houses in Florida, it's not an issue of being fussy, frightened or living in excess luxury.

Depending on where it is in Florida (big state), temps are 90+ six months of the year. Of course people who live there use a/c.

And have screens.

They're not personal remarks - simply an observation that by continuing to insist the UK should have screens on windows when someone who lives here says they're unnecessary leads me to think you are needlessly fussy.
The rest of your post simply confirms what I have said.
Screens are necessary in Florida because, being mainly reclaimed swamp land, it suffers from mosquitos.
They are unnecessary in the UK because we don't.
Which is why very few properties here have them

What part of this do you not understand ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom