Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 10:18 AM

3,002 posts, read 1,681,503 times

Advertisements

We've stayed in some delightful cottages.

I'm sure the holiday homes you own are lovely too.

One of our jokes over the years has been "they don't use screens in the windows because they think they don't have bugs"

I know, not that funny but we get a kick out of ourselves.

Old 04-16-2020, 01:46 PM

14,824 posts, read 12,080,106 times
We had our first Jasper of the season in the house today, cheeky bugger came straight through the open back door, I managed to chase it through the house past the nets in the front room and out the front window.

Old 04-16-2020, 02:36 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,524,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
We had our first Jasper of the season in the house today, cheeky bugger came straight through the open back door, I managed to chase it through the house past the nets in the front room and out the front window.
Funnily enough I had a butterfly come in through my open study window today - really quite early in the year for it.
I was so outraged at its intrusion I beat it to a pulp with a five iron and sent it to a watery grave via the toilet.
Phew, what a close encounter with nature.

Old 04-16-2020, 03:13 PM

6,314 posts, read 4,226,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
They're not personal remarks - simply an observation that by continuing to insist the UK should have screens on windows when someone who lives here says they're unnecessary leads me to think you are needlessly fussy.
The rest of your post simply confirms what I have said.
Screens are necessary in Florida because, being mainly reclaimed swamp land, it suffers from mosquitos.
They are unnecessary in the UK because we don't.
Which is why very few properties here have them

What part of this do you not understand ?

Old 04-16-2020, 03:31 PM

26,665 posts, read 28,789,947 times
Quote:
They're not personal remarks - simply an observation that by continuing to insist the UK should have screens on windows when someone who lives here says they're unnecessary leads me to think you are needlessly fussy.
The rest of your post simply confirms what I have said.
Screens are necessary in Florida because, being mainly reclaimed swamp land, it suffers from mosquitos.
They are unnecessary in the UK because we don't.
Which is why very few properties here have them

What part of this do you not understand ?
You got part of it right. Screens are necessary in Florida. Florida is flat and has a high water table so much of it is boggy. But screens are also necessary in Georgia, in Virginia, and in most of the other southern states due to dense swarms of mosquitoes. So you think all of the south is reclaimed swamp land? Even in the Appalachian Mountains of Kentucky and North Carolina? Swamp land is not an excuse.

I know my area (the north east) requires screens in summer and I dare anyone from the UK to try to sleep here on a hot summer night minus the screens. This is definitely NOT swamp land or reclaimed swamp land. Screens are necessary in the midwest, and in most areas other of the country. Screens are necessary in a cabin in the mountains in New Hampshire or Maine too. Do you think the entire US is made of reclaimed swamp land? That's a pretty weak excuse. Basic geography. Different climate. Different flora and fauna.

Old 04-16-2020, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
You got part of it right. Screens are necessary in Florida. Florida is flat and has a high water table so much of it is boggy. But screens are also necessary in Georgia, in Virginia, and in most of the other southern states due to dense swarms of mosquitoes. So you think all of the south is reclaimed swamp land? Even in the Appalachian Mountains of Kentucky and North Carolina? Swamp land is not an excuse.

I know my area (the north east) requires screens in summer and I dare anyone from the UK to try to sleep here on a hot summer night minus the screens. This is definitely NOT swamp land or reclaimed swamp land. Screens are necessary in the midwest, and in most areas other of the country. Screens are necessary in a cabin in the mountains in New Hampshire or Maine too. Do you think the entire US is made of reclaimed swamp land? That's a pretty weak excuse. Basic geography. Different climate. Different flora and fauna.

Tried to Rep this post but received a message that said I must spread Reps around before giving this member another Rep.

Old 04-17-2020, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

I was talking about Florida because I was asked if I owned a house there which I did.
Of course I'm aware of different climates across the US.
I'm also aware of different climates across Europe which is why many countries here do not have screened windows.
Do try to keep up.

Old 04-17-2020, 06:33 AM

So after 161 posts we've learned that Brits don't use screens in their windows when they're needed because:

1. Americans use too much air conditioning

2. Americans are afraid of Nature.

3. Americans elected Donald Trump.

Sorted.

Cheers!

Old 04-17-2020, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyandPearl View Post
So after 161 posts we've learned that Brits don't use screens in their windows when they're needed because:

1. Americans use too much air conditioning

2. Americans are afraid of Nature.

3. Americans elected Donald Trump.

Sorted.

Cheers!

You haven't been paying attention.
We don't use screens in our windows because we don't think we need them.
You were told this in post #4. By an American.
We feel your pain over Mr Trump

Old 04-17-2020, 07:00 AM

2,415 posts, read 1,596,312 times
Quote:
You haven't been paying attention.
We don't use screens in our windows because we don't think we need them.
You were told this in post #4. By an American.
We feel your pain over Mr Trump
reading this is like being in a room with Archie Bunker and Alf Garnet quite entertaining
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom