Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2008, 05:56 AM

19 posts, read 34,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
I've been watching the DNC on BBC Parliament. After being in the US for the last few weeks its great to see all the big names out doing their part for Obama. The Clinton's gave great speeches, as did Michelle Obama. I especially enjoyed the passion displayed by Dennis Kucinich.

IMO Obama/Biden will be good for the US and its standing in the world. After watching John Mccain on the US networks, it is clear how out of touch with America's present economic situation and direction he is.

The main message for any Brits watching or interested in the US election is how great the disagreement between Bush politics and most Americans. And what great entertainment!
Americans don't vote based on how their candidate in Europe will be perceived. Take for example the backlash Obama received for his address in Germany. For the record, Bush is three times more popular than the congress controlled by the democrats.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:41 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrabbit View Post
Just because the PC media in the UK and US think Obama is great doesn't mean he will be for mr and mrs average. Most people I work with here in London think M'cain would be a much better choice as Obama basically hasn't got any policies etc other than the usual raise taxes, cowtow to the unions and give away money etc. As long as M'cain can distance himself a little from Bush and act like a real repulican he may still win. I will be interested to see how far ahead Obama is in a week or two once everyone gets to actually see and hear the specifics of both parties policies.

I disagree completely. Mccain isn't any more specific than his rival, and the policies he tries to promote are no different to the same republican shambles of the last 8 years. Your right in that our media has only focussed on Obama, which begs the question.. what do your colleagues in London (who for the most part believe Boris Johnson to be a good leader!!?) know about Mccain? Do they also believe Bush to have been good for the US?

Old 08-29-2008, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretchtex View Post
Americans don't vote based on how their candidate in Europe will be perceived. Take for example the backlash Obama received for his address in Germany. For the record, Bush is three times more popular than the congress controlled by the democrats.
And they shouldn't vote on European perception, which is why this discussion is taking place on the UK forum!

Bush has a current approval rating of between 20-29% depending on the source. Are you saying that congress has a 7-10%??

Old 08-29-2008, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINCOLNSHIRE View Post
I agree with you Ian about the entertainment value of it...I was up and around at 2am our time this morning. I watched the Denver thing. I`ll give Billy Boy his due. That man can put on a show...
I`m starting to enjoy this...

I`ve been keeping an eye on a web site for a couple of months. How reliable it is I really don`t know. But interesting all the same...
RealClearPolitics - Election 2008 - Latest Polls
I couldn't rep you, as I have to 'spread some around' but thanks for the link.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:04 AM

10 posts, read 57,611 times
*bump*

More responses from the UK populace, please.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:12 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,310,579 times
STILL BREAKING NEWS. McCain has just announced his running mate - A female and a cutie.

Last edited by Raggy dee Ann; 08-29-2008 at 09:28 AM..

Old 08-29-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
STILL BREAKING NEWS. McCain has just announced his running mate - A female and a cutie.

She is cute.. certainly cancels out Mccain!

Very risky selection. She will appeal to women, but has only been governor for 2 years. This seems to heavily contradict the argument Mccain has been making that Obama is too inexperienced to lead the country

Old 08-29-2008, 09:55 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,310,579 times
Quote:
She is cute.. certainly cancels out Mccain!

Very risky selection. She will appeal to women, but has only been governor for 2 years. This seems to heavily contradict the argument Mccain has been making that Obama is too inexperienced to lead the country
It's obviously a calculated move but it won't pay off. I was more interested in her childrens names Bristol, Willow, Piper, Track and Trig

Old 08-29-2008, 12:25 PM

19 posts, read 34,343 times
Quote:
And they shouldn't vote on European perception, which is why this discussion is taking place on the UK forum!

Bush has a current approval rating of between 20-29% depending on the source. Are you saying that congress has a 7-10%??
Not sure what it is this month, but as for as July is concerned 9% Congress' approval plunges to 9 percent

Old 08-29-2008, 12:27 PM

352 posts, read 1,425,400 times
Quote:
I disagree completely. Mccain isn't any more specific than his rival, and the policies he tries to promote are no different to the same republican shambles of the last 8 years. Your right in that our media has only focussed on Obama, which begs the question.. what do your colleagues in London (who for the most part believe Boris Johnson to be a good leader!!?) know about Mccain? Do they also believe Bush to have been good for the US?
Well first things first after that lying corrupt traitorous s**bag Ken Livingston then even a idiot like Johnson is an improvement! I for one am ashamed to be British with some of the stuff Livingston's agenda has done to London. Anyway lets shelve that conversation.

I don't think Bush was good for the US but then again he didn't inherit the Internet boom that Clinton did. The economic issues were pretty much out of his control. I think many people want a slightly more middle of the road government without the craziness of the extreme right but the extreme left are no better or potentially worse. If Mcain can offer a fiscally responsible government without the cronism and incompetance of Bush then he is a safe choice. We like safety.

As another poster said the Democrat congress in power right now are the worse ever. Imagine them owning all 3 layers of government.

When it comes down to it all most people care about are the US economy itself and if Obama sticks with the tax increases he will have a hard time.

I also don't think many people care about Iraq etc outside of the extreme left and media. Its old news here and in the US.....................The people who are voting on Iraq will vote Obama no matter what and its the swing voters that will win this for either party.

Last edited by blackrabbit; 08-29-2008 at 12:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom