Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2008, 12:32 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,595,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo25 View Post
Lorne sausage
butter rolls
Barr's limeade and pineappleade
potato scones
fudge doughnuts
Thank god I don`t have to put up with that SHI*...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 01:35 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,309,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPTNH08 View Post
I'm hooked on Bisto...stock up when I can find it. If I'm not making gravy from scratch, Bisto is the way to go.

In the states, the Beef is better. He's always impressed with the steaks here. I don't like lamb, but will make it for him. It's better in the UK.

Our sweet corn is better too, and much cheaper than in the UK
I'm with you on Bisto. In almost 20 years living in the US I was never without it and was always lucky to have English specialty stores that stocked it nearby, although I've now taken to making my own gravey more often that I use Bisto. Wont go as far as to say the beef is better in the US though, the steaks are just better cut there. Over here my butcher knows me well and knows how i like my steaks cut as I rarely buy from supermarkets....their cuts are way too thin.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:55 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Hmmm...me British buddy ( worked for me for a spell to) sure got me hooked on honest to God English fish n chips done up in the beef drippin's ...makes my mouth water thinkin' bout it. We swapped a lot of Bar n Grill ( or Pub if you prefer) recipes ...Chicken wings, pasties, fish n chips, burgers etc. Lol had a good time comparing notes and feasting like drunken Vikings.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:34 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
So this fair island isn't particularly known for having outstanding cuisine as the Italians and French, but there are things that I crave when I'm living abroad and things that nobody does better, so allow me to indulge:

We do the best biscuits (cookies) American cookies are hideous.
What kind of cookies are popular in the UK? I have to ask because I don't think there is anything better than a good chewy American chocolate-chip cookie.

Lots of people here complain about the packaged stuff in stores because they're too crispy. And they are. But I make those delicious by dunking them into coffee. "Dunking" is almost a dead art in the US.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:43 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,471,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
What kind of cookies are popular in the UK? I have to ask because I don't think there is anything better than a good chewy American chocolate-chip cookie.

Lots of people here complain about the packaged stuff in stores because they're too crispy. And they are. But I make those delicious by dunking them into coffee. "Dunking" is almost a dead art in the US.
Have to disagree on that point. Whilst the choc-chip does have its good points, nothing beats a lovely chewy, moist oatbran/raisin/cranberry cookie. And you can dunk them without them falling apart . Yummy!

We have so many biscuits in the UK to choose from, my brain is awhirl. My favs are always the dark chocolate digestives and dark chocolate hobnobs. Anything made from Scottish shortbread is perfect for dunking.

Something thing I really miss the US are genuine xmas mince pies, xmas puddings with gallons of rum and brandy and brandy butter. Which is why I always have family smuggle them in when visiting .

Old 09-08-2008, 09:50 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,309,935 times
Quote:

I don't eat cookies much anymore, but when I did I loved ginger snaps, custard creams, chocolate digestives (yes you heard right), Jaffa cakes are just a few.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:32 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
Okay, now I'm really curious. . .

Please described "chocolate digestives". :-)

Old 09-09-2008, 02:12 AM

521 posts, read 1,473,197 times
Quote:
Okay, now I'm really curious. . .

Please described "chocolate digestives". :-)
Ahh, the chocolate digestive. For decades this was the undisputed King of biscuits but that crown may now be in the hands of the chocolate Hob Nob.

A digestive's nearest US equivalent is (I hope I'm right) a Graham cracker with the added bonus of (good quality) milk or dark/plain chocolate.

McVities Milk Chocolate Digestives - Food with reviews and price comparison at dooyoo.co.uk

Digestive biscuit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Biscuit of the Week

Those Scots certainly know how to make a good biscuit bless 'em.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:32 AM

3,037 posts, read 5,929,780 times
For sheer taste-bud stimulation, I dont think anything compares to food from the Southern U.S. What I'd give for a good gumbo right how....there's no 'salivating' icon, damit!
I nearly starved when I was in the U.K though...I prefer food to have some flavor y'see.
I also had some English Beer. Oh well...at least the countryside is nice and green!

Old 09-09-2008, 02:52 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,595,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
I also had some English Beer. Oh well...at least the countryside is nice and green!
I agree the good stuff is an aquired taste and best left to the connaisseurs who have no time for the fizzy pop some have the audacity to call beer..

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom