Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 02:08 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,485,182 times

Advertisements

Doctor Who is hands down my favorite show. It's well written, yet has a campy quality you have to laugh at. I've seen Torchwood too, and like that. Keeping Up Appearances was funny because we lived in an upscale suburb full of people like Hyacinth Bucket. I'd watch it late at night on PBS.

American shows: Heroes, Frasier, and Seinfeld are my fav's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 03:04 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,244,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
I think some Americans are in so much awe of the "motherland" and it's inhabitants that anything British is quaint. Maybe they do find it funny or entertaining I don't know. What I do know is that so much of it is cringe worthy and gawd awful...the acting, the outfits, the sets...just nasty.

Thats true. Only Fools & Horses is the most respected comedy by Brits and is the most rediculously poorly written shambles of a comedy, I just can't understand how people can watch it??

Old 08-27-2008, 03:47 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,272,339 times
Default Brit Sit

Love the topic!

My all time favorite british sitcom was The Good Life. I agree, Felicity Kendall/Penelope Keith were good in those. Every once in a while I catch myself whistling "Over the Rainbow!" I've caught a few episodes of Chef! and liked that as well (in a way, reminds me of my husband ) I recently caught the tail end of an episode of Absolutely Fabulous and would love to see the complete series.

For American fare my current favorite shows are (in no particular order)
Desperate Housewives
Ugly Betty
Project Runway (though poor Tim Gunn is beginning to sound very robotic!)
2.5 Men
My Name is Earl
American Idol (but only when the real competition begins)
So You Think You Can Dance
House (Hugh Laurie is so-o convincing as an American!)
Monk
Law & Order SVU (my daughter is addicted to the entire franchise and it seems like it's playing on TV 24/7)

What are the current Brit-Com favorites running in the UK?

Old 08-27-2008, 03:54 PM

113 posts, read 278,353 times
Sadly, I honestly cannot think of any other UK comedies I enjoy that are current other than Mock the Week which is a satirical panel show.
I maybe just haven't seen anything good that is new and would happily tune in if anyone knows of any.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:14 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,272,339 times
Default Duh!

WHAT AM SAYING??

Top 2 shows I watch RELIGIOUSLY....

#1 The Colbert Report
#2 John Stewart

Stephen Colbert is an absolute genius!! He was amazing during the writer's strike last winter (unless he had a few "ghost" writers lurking about...) He's America's court jester--he's about the only TV personality I know that can say anything and get away with it. He always manages to turn a reprimand or a criticism into to a kick in the butt for his detractors.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:47 PM

113 posts, read 278,353 times
I'll have to give The Colbert Report a go.
It's on FX channel in the UK.
Never watched it yet.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:08 PM

432 posts, read 1,665,352 times
The Only British show I like was a documentary called The Human Spider.

About american shows, WeLL, Its too long to talk about.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:59 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,541,530 times
British shows I like:

The Thin Blue Line (My fave Rowan Atkinson. Not a fan of Mr. Bean)
Little Britain (Looking forward to the U.S. version)
Absolutely Fabulous (Targeted towards women, but I still found it hilarious at times)

Old 08-27-2008, 06:22 PM

726 posts, read 2,269,869 times
I can never find any British shows on TV. I never knew PBS aired any ??
When I watch BBC they mostly give news, news, news.

As of now, I been watchin Secret Diary of a Call Girl....The Tudors(I'm not sure if its a British or an Irish show). But the writer is British

And Mr. Bean

Old 08-27-2008, 08:00 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,096 posts, read 30,411,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Thats true. Only Fools & Horses is the most respected comedy by Brits and is the most rediculously poorly written shambles of a comedy, I just can't understand how people can watch it??
Hey. I like that show. I realize that like most TV it is NOT a true portrait of life in Britain. After all, I hope the British don't think American life is like the sometimes garbage they see in our shows! Blimey! as you lot say.

As for good British shows I just remembered The Royle Family. It's amazing that watching people watch TV can be so entertaining. Of course, there's more to it than that. And there are more episodes that haven't come here yet. I look forward to seeing them. I always thought Anthony should become a rich and famous footballer or some such. Sweet revenge, because they treat him like $h1t.

One American show called That 70s Show in the US was very funny the first several years, last two not so much. I wonder if they have shown it in the UK. It's about a suburban teenager and his friends in the (you guessed it) 1970s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom