Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 09:03 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,733,702 times

Advertisements

yea Benny Hill,DOc Who (original) Space 1999, Dads Army.and that series about country vets????I only watch the History Channel, Disc,etc and Turner classic movies. The rest of American Tv kinda sucks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 09:15 PM

82 posts, read 238,237 times
I love Little Britain...my British boyfriend introduced me to it and I think it's great. On BBC America, I got hooked on You are What you Eat and How Clean is Your House. Also, love the Gordon Ramsey shows - both the UK and the US ones.

For US shows, I don't watch a ton, but I have to agree that Curb Your Enthusiasm is great. Of course, I was a Seinfeld fan too. I also liked Heroes, The Sopranos (one of the best shows ever) and Top Chef on Bravo.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:05 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,312,274 times
I have to admit that the UK produces the best documentaries and non fiction features depicting social issues. They are unparallel. Earlier this year I watched "My Street"...quite thought provoking.

Cutting Edge from Channel4.com

....and as far as comedies - how can I forget Fawlty Towers.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
yea Benny Hill,DOc Who (original) Space 1999, Dads Army.and that series about country vets????I only watch the History Channel, Disc,etc and Turner classic movies. The rest of American Tv kinda sucks
I grew up watching Dads Army and LOVED it then...somehow I just don't find it funny any more. That also goes for a lot of stuff from back then including the "carry on" movies. I use to think Sid James was hilarious.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Ithink the show you refer to is All creatures great and small.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:16 AM

65 posts, read 429,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
As for good British shows I just remembered The Royle Family. It's amazing that watching people watch TV can be so entertaining. Of course, there's more to it than that. And there are more episodes that haven't come here yet. I look forward to seeing them. I always thought Anthony should become a rich and famous footballer or some such. Sweet revenge, because they treat him like $h1t.
The Royle Family was an absolutely brilliant show...unfortunately for me, the Royle Family and their neighbours reminded me of my uncle and his 3rd wife (long story) and her family. My uncle had step daughters who could be R Denise and husbands like R Dave etc....the neighbours were always walking in through the back door etc.....and the mundane conversations these people had was unbelievable.

I also like The Office, League of Gentlemen, Alan Partridge, and Extras...can't stand Mr. Bean, Hyacinth etc.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:11 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,662,675 times
Quote:
That would be "All Creatures Great and Small", based on the true stories of James Herriot just prior to and during World War II

Old 08-28-2008, 09:57 AM

521 posts, read 1,473,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo25 View Post
Sadly, I honestly cannot think of any other UK comedies I enjoy that are current other than Mock the Week which is a satirical panel show.
I maybe just haven't seen anything good that is new and would happily tune in if anyone knows of any.
The Peep Show, The Mighty Boosh & Gavin & Stacey (just aired on BBCA I think) . All had seasons this year and got to be right up there. I love The Peep show but it wouldn't be considered mainstream humour ("Ha I've got the better of them; they think I've wet myself but I've just come").

Got to be others.............

Old 08-28-2008, 10:09 AM

493 posts, read 1,762,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie Bar View Post
The Peep Show, The Mighty Boosh & Gavin & Stacey (just aired on BBCA I think) . All had seasons this year and got to be right up there. I love The Peep show but it wouldn't be considered mainstream humour ("Ha I've got the better of them; they think I've wet myself but I've just come").

Got to be others.............
The Mighty Boosh and Gavin and Stacey are just fantastic. I think it is funny that you singled out The Peep Show as not being considered mainstream humour, does that suggest The Mighty Boosh is

My favourite episode so far (haven't seen all of Boosh yet) is the Yeti one.

Also another very funny series is The IT Crowd, love it.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:59 PM

521 posts, read 1,473,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtotx View Post
The Mighty Boosh and Gavin and Stacey are just fantastic. I think it is funny that you singled out The Peep Show as not being considered mainstream humour, does that suggest The Mighty Boosh is

My favourite episode so far (haven't seen all of Boosh yet) is the Yeti one.

Also another very funny series is The IT Crowd, love it.
Got me on that one I suppose I mean it might not translate too easily but, oh heck....hhmmh.....

Def yes on IT Crowd and what was that one basically set in the (now illegal) smoking room of an office? Or the one in the pub (Early Doors?). Once you get going it's hard to stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom