Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 10:04 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times

Advertisements

I watch British TV almost every day here on PBS (Public Broadcasting System) and BBC in America. As a matter of fact, Last of the Summer Wine is on as I type this.

I like the comedies best. The old reruns of Are You Being Served?, Open All Hours, Only Fools and Horses, and Red Dwarf, for instance.

I also like your (and i'ts the original) Antiques Roadshow and Bargain Hunt.

Also, various drama shows, I liked the Richard Roxburgh version of Sherlock Holmes' the Hound of the Baskervilles, though he is an Aussie. He did a good job. His Dr. Watson, Ian Hart did a good job too.

No doubt others will come to mind tomorrow.

What British or American shows do you like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 08:19 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,469,948 times
British:
Top Gear
Primeval (just started)
MI-5 (aka Spooks)

American:
Chuck
Pushing Daisies
Law & Order: CI
Stargate Atlantis
Eureka
Dirty Jobs
Monk
Psych
CSI (the original, not the lame spinoffs)
Criminal Minds
Supernatural
Scrubs

Old 08-26-2008, 08:54 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,692,498 times
The old standbys - Are You Being Served?, As Time Goes By (hubby calls it "the plotless show", but likes to watch it - so much more like real life ), good old Hyacinth (what's the name of that one?) and always a favorite "Waiting in God". "To the Manor Born" is good too - you have to love Audrey. The one about the lady vicar was pretty good too. We don't get that anymore either (unless it comes on after my bedtime).

We used to get "Thin Blue Line" and that was a hoot. Haven't seen it for a long time. Don't know what's happened to it. Couple of the British shows are too racy - seems they depend on sex too much so they don't have to write anything creative.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:54 AM

318 posts, read 934,253 times
I don't watch a great deal of TV and not a big fan of British TV programs the only one I watch is Top Gear Jeremy Clarkson makes it a top Brit comedy but Only Fools and Horses is the best comedy series ever its just genius. I am a die hard fan of the following US programs Prison Break, Lost, Dexter, Heroes, Eureka also a big fan of The Shield and House not to forget all the CSI's so many to remember probably forgot some.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:37 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,308,960 times
Are you being served is one of my faves too. As for American shows I love Desperate Housewives
Frazier
Shark (newish with James Wood)
Six Foot under

I watch a lot of news shows but not big on TV. In fact I just moved not too long ago and still don't have my satellite connected and might not have it connected for another month. I'm reading more, in the last two weeks saw 2 plays in the West End (our theatre distrct), spending time writing and way too much time at a particular watering hole .

Last edited by Raggy dee Ann; 08-26-2008 at 11:08 AM..

Old 08-26-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
The old standbys - Are You Being Served?, As Time Goes By (hubby calls it "the plotless show", but likes to watch it - so much more like real life ), good old Hyacinth (what's the name of that one?) and always a favorite "Waiting in God". "To the Manor Born" is good too - you have to love Audrey. The one about the lady vicar was pretty good too. We don't get that anymore either (unless it comes on after my bedtime).

We used to get "Thin Blue Line" and that was a hoot. Haven't seen it for a long time. Don't know what's happened to it. Couple of the British shows are too racy - seems they daepend on sex too much so they don't have to write anything creative.
Yes, I love As Time Goes By. Can't believe I forgot to list it.

I think the other show you're talking about is Keeping UP Appearances. I can't stand Hyacinth, and I wish Richard would grow a pair. But I like good old Onlslow, Daiz, and Rose. What does that say 'bout me.

The other ones you mentioned are good too. I happened to get a few episodes of the Thin Blue Line on tape the last time it was broadcast. It is hilarious.

Remember The Good Life with Felecity Kendal and old scruffy. Can't think of his name. They've run that a few times and it was pretty good.

It also featured Penelope Keith. She is a very good actress. Always plays someone completely different in each role, unlike performers who tend to play themselves in different situations.

Felecity recently did the Rosemary and Thyme series with Pam Ferris. I'm not normally a fan of murder mysteries, but those were worth watching.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
Are you being served is one of my faves too. As for American shows I love Desperate Housewives
Frazier
Shark (newish with James Wood)
Six Foot under

I watch a lot of news shows but not big on TV. In fact I just moved not too long ago and still don't have my satellite connected and might not have it connected for another month. I'm reading more, in the last two weeks saw 2 plays in the West End (our theatre distrct), spending time writing and way too much time at a particular watering hole .
Yes, it is good to catch up on some reading every now and then. Or some "watering."

Old 08-26-2008, 11:38 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,986 times
Alot of the British comedy shows that I used to watch was, the Vicar of Dibly, Ballykissangel, Last of The Summer Wine, Waiting for God, As Time Goes By, Are You Being Served, Open All Hours, Keeping Up Appearances. These are some of the British shows that I like to watch.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:27 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,469,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Remember The Good Life with Felecity Kendal and old scruffy. Can't think of his name. They've run that a few times and it was pretty good.
You mean Richard Briers, a genius actor who is still going strong. Usually shows up in Kenneth Branagh's Shakespeare movies. The Good Life was an absolutely BRILLIANT show and I wept buckets when it ended. But thank goodness for repeats. I was never a big fan of Felicity Kendal but Penelope Keith and Paul Eddington (who then went on to do the fabulous Yes Minister) were equally hilarious as the uptight but oh-so-loveable couple next door.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:31 PM

493 posts, read 1,762,487 times
Love Law and Order CI, Americans do the best cop dramas. Just saw the first episode of Chuck and loved it so will need to catch up on the rest of the series before the new one begins.

Came across a lovely comedy drama that is British called Jam and Jerusalem, although its name changed for US audiences and it is known as Clatterford. It is about a group of women living in the countryside and has great actresses including Dawn French.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom